This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100609 - Spell of the Unown

13»

Comments

• Scott, I dunno if you remember saying it, but "Dragonite would've been there by now" is being used as a joke by me and my pokemon-friends now.

Natalie and I were laughing our asses off for most of the latter half of this. :) I haven't seen every pokemon movie, but I just recently watched the 12th, and it might beat this one out for the worst of all. The voice of god-pokemon sounds like a chain-smoking clown.

And yeah it was the second movie where Snorlax helps everybody. Also, I would totally take $500 to stand in the Thursday line. :>
  • I present to you: Geodude with open hands!
    image image
  • GeoGeo
    edited June 2010
    I present to you: Geodude with open hands!
    imageimage
    I didn't know a pic of Geodude's open hands is so mind blowing it causes the link to break.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I promised my friends we'd all go to Otakon this year. Next year, in all likelyhood, I will not be attending. And the panel I'm doing A) isn't even technically mine, and B) isn't a "professional" panel (in the way Rym and Scott's are, for example).

I think the thing that's most insulting to me is that they're not even taking the effort to lie to us. Just say you're working on the schedule, it's not like I'd fucking know!
  • The best Pokemon movie in my opinion is the very first one, the second movie a.k.a Pokemon 2000 is also pretty good. After all of them when downhill.
  • The best Pokemon movie in my opinion is the very first one, the second movie a.k.a Pokemon 2000 is also pretty good. After all of them when downhill.
    Well, some of them reach that special level of bad that they are good, like the Temple of the Sea. Nothing like a good old spoof on every American action hero to get a good rofl going on.
  • I think it is funny to compare something like Otakon where the line is a dealbreaker, to PAX, where I eagerly await the opportunity to line up four hours early and play games with strangers.

Also I'd like to second the comment that Baltimore is a huge negative. I have a professional conference I attend every year for my dayjob that rotates into Baltimore every three years. It is by far the worst city I've attended a convention at for multiple reasons: convention center quality, area cleanliness, area safety, etc. Even the McCormick & Schmick's restaurant down the street gave me the worst service I've ever received from a restaurant.
  • convention center quality
    I disagree. The BCC is one of the best laid out convention centers I've ever seen for a large fan convention. It has the right balance of small and large areas, and can accommodate large crowds moving continuously. Everything else about he inner harbor is mediocre to scary, but the BCC is pretty awesome.
  • Otakon claims that the panels will be accepted this Friday (6/18).

Per Aaron Clark, our department head:
    My life fell apart on me this last week. I ended up working a ~55 hour work week, which left me zero time for Otakon. It's bad timing, and I apologize. My optimism of sending out emails on Sunday didn't work out, and then I fell into a hole shortly after. This is part of the difficulty we face in a volunteer organization. Real life comes first.

That said, I believe I'm on track to send out the verdicts by the 18th, as promised. That will still leave people plenty of time to register at the current rate, and leave more than a month to prepare for your panels. For most of you, this shouldn't be an issue.

Please be patient, and bear with me.
    We'll see what happens. If we don't personally get an answer on Friday, we're bailing no matter what... It may still be too late, but we'll play it by ear.

For your own personal reference, this is the same Aaron Clark from this gem:
    Gofering is not supposed to be fun. You're put where you're put. If you don't like it, don't do it. It's as simple as that. If working in the same department all weekend is undesirable to you, I wouldn't recommend becoming a staffer.
  • Didn't he not include you in any of the panel decisions even though you're panels staff? Division of labour, sir. It's a good idea.
  • For your own personal reference, this is the same Aaron Clark from this gem:
    Oh, that guy. We should roast him, personally.
  • Oh, that guy. We should roast him, personally.
    Might I suggest -

"Running a large part of a con is not supposed to be fun or trivial. It's hard work. You are exactly where you put yourself, because you made that commitment. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you can't do it, get out and let someone who can do it into the position. It's as simple as that. If putting in the hard work is undesirable or not possible for you, I wouldn't recommend being on the senior staff of a convention, and vacating the position immediately so that someone who CAN do the work can take the role."
  • Okay so, having recently started watching season 1 of the anime again and being nostalgia'd hard all the way through, I have a thing or three to say. First off you guys are ruining my childhood something awful. Ash's mom nice and doting and innocent and has probably never had sex ever and is still mourning over Ash's dad (whatever the hell happened to him). Secondly the anime actually does explain some of the WTF-esque things you mentioned, like where Mr. Mime comes from (some bizarre mix-up where she thinks Ash is pretending to be a Mr. Mime, I don't really know), the origin of Togepi (Ash finds this egg, they carry it around for a while, when it hatches they can't decide who gets to keep it so they have a tournament for it, but it turns out that Misty was the first thing it saw and thus Togepi thinks she's its mother), and some other stuff I can't remember.

I would actually highly recommend going and watching these if Pokemon played any sort of role in your childhood because they're pretty awesome if you can tolerate the ridiculous American narration and such. Also they have me sort of thinking I'm a borderline sociopath and such because I get so attached to Pokemon and emotionally invested in what goes on with them to degrees I don't often feel toward people.

/ramble

Also this was one of the funniest episodes in a long time, I was in hysterics for lots of it.
  • PARENTHESES ATTACK NOSTALGIA RABBLE RABBLE
    Edited down for you
  • PARENTHESES ATTACK NOSTALGIA RABBLE RABBLE
    Edited down for you
    Yeah well your best friend, she's right here. And she would rather eat a poptart than talk to you. Inside baseball etc etc.
  • Ash's mom nice and doting and innocent and has probably never had sex ever and is still mourning over Ash's dad (whatever the hell happened to him)
    Oak offed him in a bizarre pokemon accident in order to get more time with Ash's mom. He sent Ash off with the pokedex for the same reason. They totally have swinger parties at the house.
  • Oak offed him in a bizarre pokemon accident in order to get more time with Ash's mom. He sent Ash off with the pokedex for the same reason. They totally have swinger parties at the house.
    You don't want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Trust me.
  • You don't want to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. Trust me.
    Fanfic says what? There's some seriously naaaaaaaaasTY stuff out there (trust me, it was only for research purposes.) Actually, I'd be willing to bet there's more DigiMon Fanfic pr0n than there is Pokemon.
  • And she would rather eat a poptart than talk to you.
    It is true - Poptarts be some delicious business. Sadly, they're a speciality import in Australia, and cost about ten bucks a box, but if you think I'm not buying them half the time, you are absolutely wrong.

I do, however, refuse to pay 50 bucks a 24 can carton for Dr Pepper.
  • See, I actually had a REALLY fun time at Otakon last year.
    I did too. But, recall that I skipped the reg line, and we did our panels. I would have had far less fun had those two things not occurred.
    Last year was my first time going. And I admit that the line was 2 hours long and it was poorly secured, but it's not that horrible. I had a lot of fun talking to people in line and even looking at all the cosplayers who were lined up. I didn't even have a Podcast or any music to listen to. And I was in the Friday line.

Seriously, once you enter that convention center, all of that negativity just melts away.
  • See, I actually had a REALLY fun time at Otakon last year.
    I did too. But, recall that I skipped the reg line, and we did our panels. I would have had far less fun had those two things not occurred.
    Last year was my first time going. And I admit that the line was 2 hours long and it was poorly secured, but it's not that horrible. I had a lot of fun talking to people in line and even looking at all the cosplayers who were lined up. I didn't even have a Podcast or any music to listen to. And I was in the Friday line.

Seriously, once you enter that convention center, all of that negativity just melts away.
    It was my first Otakon too, and I skipped the Friday line by pre-registering and going to the VAMPS concert. I had a ton of fun as well. But I see where Rym is coming from. For us first timers, it's great. For someone who has experienced it a vast multitude of times, the amazingness of tons of fellow fans fades away, and part of the fun as well.
  • Ash's mom nice and doting and innocent and has probably never had sex ever and is still mourning over Ash's dad (whatever the hell happened to him)
    Oak offed him in a bizarre pokemon accident in order to get more time with Ash's mom. He sent Ash off with the pokedex for the same reason. They totally have swinger parties at the house.
    And let's not forget the drugs. Obviously she's been taking some sort of hallucinogen if she could so easily confuse a strange Mr. Mime for her son, and then let him into the house to do... all the things he does.

:)
  • then let him into the house to do... all the things he does.
    The images that your statement have conjured in my head will not be unseen by any form of mind bleach.
  • You guys need to watch the second Pokemon movie. That's my favorite of all of them.

As far as I know, it might just have been fan wank, but I think if a person is successfully caught by a pokeball, they are transformed into a pokemon that closely matches their personality. I have no idea though. I'm pretty sure though, pokeballs are specifically designed to capture only pokemon. The inside tries to mimic the pokemon's favorite environment, hence the initial trouble of capturing them as they realize "hey, this is fake LET ME OUT!" After that, if they are captured they don't care so much.
  • Wait. What. The inside of a pokeball is designed to create an experience akin to the pokemon's favorite environment? The pokemon universe is moments away from building a human-compatible ball and devolving into Total Recall, or just a bad Star Trek episode about holodeck sex addiction.
  • As far as I know, it might just have been fan wank, but I think if a person is successfully caught by a pokeball, they are transformed into a pokemon that closely matches their personality
    Nah, that's just the beginning of Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Humans can't be captured by Pokeballs.
  • Wait. What. The inside of a pokeball is designed to create an experience akin to the pokemon's favorite environment? The pokemon universe is moments away from building a human-compatible ball and devolving into Total Recall, or just a bad Star Trek episode about holodeck sex addiction.
    Yeah but let's also remember that whatever is caught by said ball becomes loyal to the user of said ball. So we'd have a situation where a few people are still in the real world and everyone else is at their beck and call; after all, a pokemon pretty much has to come out if it is sent by its trainer. (there are exceptions)