This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070307 - Why Are You Doing This?

RymRym
edited March 2007 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we review Why Are You Doing This? In the news, Rym saw The Girl Who Leapt Through Time at the New York International Children's Film Festival, and Captain America is dead.

Scott's Thing - Old, Old, Incredibly OLD Anime
Rym's Thing - Padding Out Papers

Comments

• Ok, I read Civil War and for a while it was awesome. I normally do not read American comics. However, Civil War was a pretty good series. I must say I enter to that arc with the basic knowledge of a normal guy that had not read a comic in, let say since 15 years ago. The only think I knew from the Marvel universe was the old Spider-Man, X-men, and Iron-Man cartoons. The first 6 issues of Civil War were awesome, there was not fan service for the old readers, instead there was a good plot. It would sound weird but it was something anyone would relate to, in my opinion Captain America was right until the end. The end was a downer, at least for me. But, at least Spider-Man does not disappointed at all. I am not gonna deny that after reading Civil War and learning a bit about Captain America I think it sucks that he dies, and the worst part is that he does not even die fighting in the War but on the aftermath.

I think that even if you do not like American comics you should at least check one of those issues. I would recomend anyone of the Spider-Man Civil War and the Original Civil War.
  • I read the first issue of Civil War. It was about as stupid as I expected.
  • edited March 2007
    I read the first issue of Civil War. It was about as stupid as I expected.
    Blah blah..

I read about 2 or 3 issues of the main story arch and it was pretty fun. Just I had to cut back on comic buying for a while. (As in all comic buying) so I haven't set foot in a comic book store in about 3 months so I've missed most of this. I'm sure Captain America will be brought back to life. I mean this is Marvel.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I paid money for that horrible "black Captain America" mini-series.

That was the last big name comic book I ever spent money on. the thing was 65% advertising!

Wait, there was one big name comic I purchased a few years later, it was the Sgt. Rock mini-series. It's content to advertising ratio was much better.

• Wait, there was one big name comic I purchased a few years later, it was the Sgt. Rock mini-series. It's content to advertising ratio was much better.
    Is that the Joe Kubert one? I've been thinking about it.
  • Yes it is. Very well done.

They did do the "multi-cover" thing for issue #1 but, it's his sons doing the covers so it's all good.

If you can make it over to one of our new Friday night game nights you can check it out.
  • I forget which one, but one of his two sons got a degree from RIT in medical illustration.
  • This might sound stupid, but on the whole UPS delivery thing. Couldn't Scott just have said package delivered to him at work?
  • This might sound stupid, but on the whole UPS delivery thing. Couldn't Scott just have said package delivered to him at work?
    I was between jobs, remember?
  • edited March 2007
    This might sound stupid, but on the whole UPS delivery thing. Couldn't Scott just have said package delivered to him at work?
    I was between jobs, remember?
    That would indeed make the delivery process awkward.
    Post edited by decompiled on
  • Scott isn't the only one pissed off about UPS, though I've gotta say, FedEx is just as bad.

I'm lucky enough that, sometimes, the carriers will fall back to my apartment's rent office, so I can at least pick it up there. The trouble is, those fuckers close at 5:30, so I have to leave work early even if my package WAS delivered.

One possibility, depending on where you work, is to have things delivered there. If you aren't in a corporate complex that has its own internal mail weirdness, and there's no policy against it, it can be quite a time saver.

The other option is UPS stores. You can rent a box with them, and they'll accept delivery for you. The trouble is, many of those stores have worse hours than the delivery personnel!

The fault is really with the merchants, most of whom don't offer alternative shipping services. Despite the fact that you, the buyer, are fronting 100% of the shipping cost, they're too lazy to provide access to UPS and FedEx's (and others) wide range of services, including weekend delivery. It's just laziness, really. The carriers bend over backwards to try to make it easy to offer those services.
  • Scott, you were saying that you doubt the ability of your teach to pick out people pulling subtle, yet weird typographical tricks? If he actually was an editor at a newspaper or anything similar, I wouldn't doubt that he would be able to notice the 14 point period trick. I've worked with a proofreader at a commercial printing house, trust me, they will not miss anything.