This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steam Summer Sale

edited June 2010 in Video Games
Seems to be a bigger selection but with smaller reductions. People seen anything they like?

Fortunately, my recent problems stop me from buying anything.

Comments

• edited June 2010
    Nothing that I don't already have or can't live without, but for anyone looking for a good pair of schmaltzy strategy/rpg games I highly recommend the Freedom Force two-pack for under six bucks. The Introversion Complete pack for five bucks isn't a bad deal either.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO................I mustn't look no I mustn't...
  • They should stick to smaller selections with bigger reductions, I'm having trouble finding anything worth it.
  • They should stick to smaller selections with bigger reductions, I'm having trouble finding anything worth it.
    Same.
  • I see Men of War for $3.74. I'm looking to try out some rts games. Is it any good?
  • Fuuuuck. FUCK! Why do they have to do this??

Considering these:
    Killing Floor - $5 (L4D clone, but I've heard good things. And I'd be able play with my friend who has a Mac.)
    Introversion Complete Pack - $5 (I don't have Defcon or Uplink, are they worth it?)
    Civ IV: $15 (Haven't played a Civ game for about a decade, worth it?)

Recommending these:
    Altitude - $3.40
    Trine - $4

Bioshock 2 is also $15 today, which probably will interest some of you. I'm skipping it because, by the time I actually finish playing the first Bioshock, I'm confident that the sequel will be at a similar, if not lower, price :P
  • edited June 2010
    My recommended way of handling steam sales is stick with the daily deals (unless you see it in a pack) until the end and then if your really want a pack or one of the non-daily days go for it... It's better then getting burned by a daily deal the next day.

Killing floor, not sure about this one, Rubin and I tried to play this and got our asses kicked, however I've seen friends on my buddy list play this game like crazy maybe we didn't get it?
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Killing floor is L4D Survival mode with only one area per map and RPG stuff.
  • edited June 2010
    I don't have Defcon or Uplink, are they worth it?
    Defcon is fun if you've got some friends to play it with you and you all don't mind the "screw your buddy over" type of game. The single-player runs out of steam after a while, but I do have to admit it's fun to nuke Moscow all Wargames-style. Uplink is a blast to play - it's basically every movie hacker scene you've seen rolled into a quasi-text adventure game (you're playing it from your "terminal" with its in-game GUI). It's only single player, but it'll eat up a good chunk of your time if you don't FAQ your way through it. I bought it direct from the company back in the day and still have my original CD around somewhere. For five bucks, I might just get the whole pack just to have them on Steam.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • fucking hell, why did valve have to be concerned with my safety now when I am saving up for pax.
  • but it'll eat up a good chunk of your time if you don't FAQ your way through it
    I've TRIED to FAQ my way through it, but even that doesn't help! Eventually there just aren't any more missions to accept, and there's nothing to do.
  • edited June 2010
    If enough people get MoW, I'll run a multiplayer session and get everyone through the basics. IMHO it's the best multiplayer RTS on the market right now.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • fucking hell, why did valve have to be concerned with my safety now when I am saving up for pax.
    QFT
    Dirt2 $10
    CS: Source: $6.80

Both for today only! /_______\
  • Fuuuuck. FUCK! Why do they have to do this??

Considering these:
    Killing Floor - $5 (L4D clone, but I've heard good things. And I'd be able play with my friend who has a Mac.)
    Introversion Complete Pack - $5 (I don't have Defcon or Uplink, are they worth it?)
    Civ IV: $15 (Haven't played a Civ game for about a decade, worth it?)

Recommending these:
    Altitude - $3.40
    Trine - $4

I have quite a few hours in Killing Floor, it's tons of fun. It's similar to L4D but not really a clone. Plus I love cheesy british accents.

Defcon is a fun/depressing casual game. Uplink is a Hackers-esque game, kinda fun for a couple hours.

Civ IV is a must have. Why don't you have it already?

I bought Altitude in a indie game pack sale, have not touched it.

Same with Trine and the christmas sale.
  • get MoW,
    MoW?
  • get MoW,
    MoW?
    Men of War I think
  • MoW?
    Men of War, an obscure Russian WWII Real Time Strategy game. Here is a good video to give you an overview:
  • Ah it's part of that 1c collection, I might pick it up on the last day of the sale for 20 dollars (the whole crap ton of Russian/European games)
  • I want to rephrase, MoW is more akin to a Real Time Tactics game as opposed to a strategy game. Instead of looking to take out resources or preventing the enemy from building bases and the such, you spent much more time on positioning your men into proper ambushes, flanking enemy positions, and working on getting your lone AT guy to get a rear shot on enemy tanks.
  • Kind of like Company of heroes?
  • Ah it's part of that 1c collection, I might pick it up on the last day of the sale for 20 dollars (the whole crap ton of Russian/European games)
    A lot of 1C's games seem like crap shovelware you find in the jewel case section of the Wal-Mart software aisle.
  • Kind of like Company of heroes?
    Sort of, but MoW actually follows through on what Company of Heroes started. MoW has absolutely zero base building and zero resource gathering. All that stands between you and victory is a pure test of tactics between your opponents and you. You can however building emplacements, obstacles, mines, and various other entrenchments, however you don't have to worry about "x wingwangs to build y" or anything like that.
  • A lot of 1C's games seem like crap shovelware you find in the jewel case section of the Wal-Mart software aisle.
    Maybe but those Star Wolves games look good along with the few fantasy ones. For 20 dollars, and over 20 games, I'll take my chances probably.
  • MoW has absolutely zero base building and zero resource gathering
    So everything is 100% pre-deploy?
  • X-Com UFO Defense is 3.74, that is worth it.

Also Bionic Commando is 6.69
  • A lot of 1C's games seem like crap shovelware you find in the jewel case section of the Wal-Mart software aisle.
    Maybe but those Star Wolves games look good along with the few fantasy ones. For 20 dollars, and over 20 games, I'll take my chances probably.
    I guess, It wouldn't be a huge lose if I picked up MoW. I'm just skeptical about 1C since a lot of crap games to come from Russia.
  • edited June 2010
    MoW has absolutely zero base building and zero resource gathering
    So everything is 100% pre-deploy?
    It depends, usually your points are given to you per set amount of time. So you get x amount of points every couple minutes. Additionally you can start with some number of points and get them back after some of your units die. There is an option where you get all your points at the beginning and you can buy all your units at once, or learn to spend your points wisely over the period of the match. When you "purchase" a unit it, it just appears on your side of the map and you can tell it where to go from there.

I'll warn you though, like most RTT games, there can be a large amount of micro (although the AI performs fairly well). Additionally there is stuff like every unit has a certain amount of ammo, bandages, grenades, etc. You can also control each unit directly as if it's a Third Person Shooter (I almost never use it). Oh yeah, did I mention it has multiplayer cooperative mode?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • So it's capture point resources, a la Dawn of War.
  • Oh yeah, did I mention it has multiplayer cooperative mode?
    Sold. I'll buy that pack on July 4th.
  • So it's capture point resources, a la Dawn of War.
    Nope. Capturing points has no effect on your resources.