This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's sooo hot (I.E. Weather bitch thread)

Comments

• At least you all get a break from the heat at night. In Phoenix, we don't drop below 90 until midnight usually.
  • At least you all get a break from the heat at night. In Phoenix, we don't drop below 90 until midnight usually.
    You don't have humidity.
    You don't have humidity.
    What's the average level of humidity on any given day, Mycroft?
    It was 90 degrees when I came back from the airport at 10:00 pm last night. The humidity is like a big wool blanket, holding all the heat in.
  • edited July 2010
    You don't have humidity.
    I remember hearing a comedian riffing on the heat in AZ and the bit went something like this: "People say, 'Oh, but it's a dry heat!' Oh, yeah, that's just great, it's a dry heat. That means when my ass keels over on the sidewalk from the 120-degree weather all they'll need to do is pour water on me before I decompose into a pile of dust and I'll be able to get right back up."

/in downstate IL, where they give the temperature twice in the summer
    //regular temp and the heat index - gotta love it
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited July 2010
    Oh I don't deny that the humidity is low here. When it's not monsoon season, we have around 8-12%, but during the monsoon season we have 30-40% when there is no rain, and as high as 60-70% when we do get some rain. Unfortunately we don't get the storms all that often anymore because of the massive heat island the paving of the valley has created. When it comes to getting around town in this heat, we have to drive because everything is so spread out, there's no shade in most cases to park in, so the car can easily hit 175.

There is one problem with our humidity being so low that lots of people don't necessarily think about. Sweat doesn't hardly have a chance to actually do what it's supposed to and cool you because it evaporates so quickly.
    You don't have humidity.
    I remember hearing a comedian riffing on the heat in AZ and the bit went something like this: "People say, 'Oh, but it's a dry heat!' Oh, yeah, that's just great, it's a dry heat. That means when my ass keels over on the sidewalk from the 120-degree weather all they'll need to do is pour water on me before I decompose into a pile of dust and I'll be able to get right back up."

/in downstate IL, where they give the temperature twice in the summer
    //regular temp and the heat index - gotta love it
    Yeah, when you hear the term "dry heat" it should actually be interpreted as "blast furnace". That's what walking outside or getting in the car feels like. And until last week when my car overheated unexpectedly(and killed the engine) I had to drive with no a/c.
    Post edited by Mycroft000 on
  • I worked for 8 hours today, with kids, in a stuffy apartment with a broken AC unit. It was 100F in NYC today.

AND WE LIKED IT.
  • I worked for 8 hours today, with kids, in a stuffy apartment with a broken AC unit. It was 100F in NYC today.

AND WE LIKED IT.
    Uphill? Both ways?
    Weather in Orlando has been fairly mild. Only low 90's with ~65% humidity.
  • I only ran a mile and a half, but it's frankly lovely outside. I would have killed to have been at Wildwood in weather like this.
  • I just got home from the beach and it's hotter here then there.
  • I only ran a mile and a half, but it's frankly lovely outside. I would have killed to have been at Wildwood in weather like this.
    Are you an extraterrestrial or something, how were you able to breathe?
  • I like it hot. I probably wouldn't enjoy standing outside in the sun today, waiting an hour for the bus, but thankfully I didn't have to do such a thing.

The way I see it, we practically had no summer last year. That was stupid. Personally, for this summer, I would gladly take stupid hot over that scenario.
  • Just came back from a nice time at the pool. I think I did 250 meters (10 laps of 25). Though most of the laps I pushed myself and tried to not get more air during the whole run.
    Are you an extraterrestrial or something, how were you able to breathe?
    I'm with Rym; hot weather is great for exercise, and being way out in the boonies I don't have to worry about air pollution.
  • edited July 2010
    I'm with Rym; hot weather is great for exercise, and being way out in the boonies I don't have to worry about air pollution.
    The high ozone levels have nothing to do with the city. The warning was equal for every county in the heat wave including the boonies.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The high ozone levels have nothing to do with the city.
    Except that it's directly related to automotive emissions and other emissions associated with dense urban centers. >_>
  • /wenis-waving
  • Except that it's directly related to automotive emissions and other emissions associated with dense urban centers. >_>
    Yeah, I figured it was natural to assume that there'd be less ground-level ozone in rural areas, but now I've looked it up that doesn't appear to be the case.
  • Looks like tomorrow will be another hot one. People should try to remember to turn off your AC when you're at work to reduce demands on the electric grid and smog producing emissions. Also, if you can swing turning you thermostat up a bit for next few days, that'll help too. I've got mine set to 80F.
  • Queensland - Beautiful One day, Perfect the next.

(Repeat till thread dies.)
  • Queensland - Beautiful One day, Perfect the next.

(Repeat till thread dies.)
    Yeah, but down here in civilisation, it's fucking cold. Temperature didn't go above 6 degrees today. I can usually go year-round in short sleeves, but this winter I have felt the call of the hoodie.
  • It was so hot yesterday that my vicious dogs turned into viscous dogs.
  • Totally forgot to switch off my AC. *facepalm*
  • It's so hot and humid that the bag of potatoes we bought last week was moldy and rotting when I opened the pantry yesterday.

It is significantly cooler today though - 91 instead of 97, and we have another exhaust fan + an open bathroom window now.
  • Here in VA, we do have the potential to hit triple digits today. But atleast after today, it we should slightly decrease in temperature and get rain.
  • The weather was lovely in Greenland yesterday.
  • it's 98-104 here. Tomorrow a cold front moves through and it will be a nice brisk 90....
  • I would be perfectly fine if we had another winter instead of summer. "Spring, winter1, fall, winter2, repeat."

Or just 1.5x spring and 1.5x fall, since spring has been going through some personal issues lately.
  • Up here in Boston area it's been particularly brutal. 100+ degrees with oppressively high humidity. Tonight's the first night that's remotely sleep-friendly, and according to AccuWeather, its 76 F right now.
    And a little Fail of my Day: My room is right under our (uninsulated, black tar paper) roof. I would not doubt that my room hit 110-120 over the past couple days. Thank heavens for cool showers.
  • 90? Wusses.