This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Connecticon 2010

edited July 2010 in Conventions

This weekend, July 9-11, 2010 we will be attending Connecticon in Hartford, CT. Not only are we doing many panels, we are actually staff in charge of panels. It will definitely be an awesome time. Because of this convention, and the holiday on the previous weekend, there will not be many, if any, GeekNights shows this week.

There will also be many friends of GeekNights attending the convention including, but not limited to, Super Art Fight, Jared Sorensen of Action Castle, Luke Crane of Burning Wheel, Yuko and Ananth of Johnny Wander and AppleGeeks.

Here is the tentative schedule of the actual GeekNights panels.

• Friday 10:00AM - 11:00AM - The Secret Guide to Running an Anime Club
  • Friday 5:30PM - 6:30PM - Anime Openers From Around The World
  • Friday 8:30PM - 10:00PM - Bite Sized Anime
  • Saturday 2:30PM - 4:00PM - Anime You Should See
  • Saturday 9:00PM - 9:30PM - Egregiously Unrealized Potential
  • Saturday 10:30PM - 11:30PM - Who is Hatsune Miku?
  • Sunday 3:00PM - 4:00PM - The "How to Run a Panel" Panel

Comments

• GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Any FRC types running any panels like last year as well?

EDIT: Okay, so which forumites are going to be here?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2010
    Wait, there is an Anime Club panel and I'm not on it?
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Any FRC types running panels like last year as well?
    Tons.
  • Wait, there is an Anime Club panel and I'm not on it?
    You can be on it. I'm finalizing a schedule tonight.

Any FRC types running any panels like last year as well?
    Pete's Beer and Metal panels, Nuri's panels, Phil: once I finish the staff schedule, I'll try to get an "FRC" schedule up for you guys to peruse.
  • Did we make the itineraries?
  • Did we make the itineraries?
    Not yet. I'm going to power through the CSV for them after the staff schedule is finished.
  • EDIT: Okay, so which forumites are going to be here?
    I'll be there, and I have a panel with Ananth.
  • edited July 2010
    Places to eat in Hartford:

City Steam: Great brew pub. All around amazing place to hang out. Thursday night you can buy a pint glass for 5$, get it filled and all drinks after at 3$. I will without a dough be drinking here.

Temple Street: Right next to City Steam is a few decent price/quality take out paces. Chinese and Gyros are the best choices.

Woody's Hot dogs. I've seen them on Food Network, and I want to try this place.

Arch Street Tavern: Close to the con. Never been, but I hear it's good.

Feng Never been. Dinner menu seems a bit pricey. Rolls are average price. Lunch is a bit more reasonable.

Black-eyed Sally's BBQ & Agave Grill Very good far from the con. But close to the Hilton.

Dunkin Dounuts: Cheaper then hotel breakfast.

Burger King: Avoid at all cost. Everyone will go there. On the flip side, it's a good place to meet people.

Tanuki Japanese Noodle Kitchen: CLOSED.... WTF!?!

Con food: It alright.

As a warning to all first timers venturing into Hartford CT, the city shut down on Sunday. Seriously. Nothing is open. Plan according.
    Post edited by Wyatt on
  • The city of Hatford itself, downtown, is nothing but office buildings. Concrete all the way down. If you are looking for action, get in your car (this is why the parking lot allows in and out privileges) and go to the main street in West Hartford. That is basically the main street near where all the rich business people live. It has a ton of awesome restaurants including an Afghani place we ate last year.
  • God... I'll have it for you tomorrow. Some last-second updates.

Luckily, all five panel rooms are in ONE hallway. The two workshop rooms are in the other hallway. It won't be so bad to manage even with my slowness. ;^)
  • Any FRC types running any panels like last year as well?
    Bang Your Head! will feature 18 minutes of metal clips, and most likely 27 - 32 minutes of me talking at you.

Expect epicness.
  • Any FRC types running any panels like last year as well?
    Bang Your Head! will feature18 minutesof metal clips, and most likely 27 - 32 minutes of me talking at you.

Expect epicness.
    What will I need to survive this panel as I don't think I can contain that much epicness. Also don't "be laying the smack down on Anthrax" this time ;)
  • Also don't "be laying the smack down on Anthrax" this time ;)
    Well, I actually intend to explain the diagram a bit this time, which will take care of that problem. I should've counted on nerds to look at an obvious joke and then try to make sense of it. :P

As for things, just bring your ears. Earplugs shouldn't be needed. It won't be that loud. Maybe.
  • The "how to run a panel" panel has piqued my curiosity. Since I started going to cons again last year I've had a few panel ideas bouncing around in my head, and I can see myself giving it a shot one day. Obviously the only way to refine these sorts of skills is through practice, but it can be nice to get a few pointers ahead of time as to avoid common pitfalls. Unfortunately I won't be making my way to CT this weekend, but if you guys ever run that one again somewhere else it'd be on my list.
  • I am doing two panels: A repeat of "Living in Japan" (they requested that I bring that back) and "Crushing the Otaku Dream and Reforging It," which is basically a panel that says "dur animating in Japan is Harrrrddd!" It is directed at younger fans and talks a lot about choosing a career path.
  • I assume you say
    talks a lot about choosing a different career path.
  • Going to be a good year, even judging by the very old program book posted on the Connecticon forums.
  • edited July 2010
    Oh man, that's a pretty sweet lineup. I wish I was near Connecticut.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • I wish I was near Connecticut.
    So do I, god I'm driving a fuck ton this weekend. >_>
  • damn, this con looks awesome.
    You do not even know the half of it my friend. Ever consider coming to Connecticut for it?
    You do not even know the half of it my friend. Ever consider coming to Connecticut for it?
    Simply cannot this year, but maybe next year. I can't get off of work tomorrow, have a family BBQ on Saturday (my wife's side or I would blow them off), and have Mets tickets for Sunday. I was actually planning on going to a con in north Jersey that's only about 45 minutes from me for at least a day, but that's really just a big tabletop gaming weekend, no panels or anything. As it turns out I will be completely con-less this weekend.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Post edited by Geo on
  • The pdf there seems very outdated (for program times) but the content descriptions should still be correct. I just picked up my badge today and they didn't have them available yet :(
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    As before, I shall be taking many photos of the con and the things going on there (as seen in the con photos thread). Most of it will focus on cool cosplays, tables at the dealers room, board gaming, etc. There will only a few photos of the FRC as they had enough coverage in Connecticon '09. Those few photos will mostly be of them giving prominent and important panels (examples: Pete in BANG YOUR HEAD: A Look at Heavy Metal Music and Nuri in Knitting Workshop) or funny moments that I happen to catch. Because I have an iPhone, flashes are a thing of the past; so this will be a much more discreet operation as apposed to when I was an annoying shutterbug last year.

I'll most likely get there around 4 or so as it takes an hour to ride the bus from New Haven to Hartford and a further 17 minutes to walk there, so I'll be late the first day.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • My parents are also going to the Mets game Sunday.
  • Jason Bay bobblehead day, tell 'em to get there early and maybe you'll get a souvenir.
  • All I need to say about Friday is that Uncle Yo knows how to run a funny goddamn pannel.