This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Miyazaki

Comments

• I watched Grave of the Fireflies tonight.
    I watched it last night.
    I've never seen it.
  • I watched Grave of the Fireflies tonight.
    I watched it last night.
    I've never seen it.
    I highly, highly recommend that you do so.
  • Adam won't watch it with me because he hates it when I cry and I don't like watching sad/heart wrenching films alone.
  • Gave of the Fireflies didn't affect me like it seems to have everyone else. I didn't cry once, and trust me, I cry ALL THE TIME. I just didn't feel like the characters were real.
  • Studio Ghibli's latest film has been announced. They are doing a remake of the classic story "The Borrowers."
    Let's hope it isn't garbage like that movie that came out over 13 years ago.
    Hopefully, yes.
    But it's Miyazaki is supervising, and it's Ghibli, so this is laughably unlikely.
  • edited January 2010
    To me the weird thing about Ghibli is that I don't think that their best movie involved Miyazaki at all. Miyazaki has an string of excellent films, but the best Ghibli film is in my opinion Grave of the Fireflies.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • To me the weird thing about Ghibli is that I don't think that their best movie involved Miyazaki at all. Miyazaki has an string of excellent films, but the best Ghibli film is in my opinion Grave of the Fireflies.
    It's all about opinions. I mean, most of my favorite movies of all time are MIyazaki movies.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010

This is too big of a deal to be put in the Thing of the Day Thread. Color me impressed.
    Gomi/Omnutia, vas ist das moon language mean?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • This will be interesting. Unlike many of the other Studio Ghibli films, the music for this one was not written by Joe Hisaishi.
    However, I'm sure it will still be interesting. I enjoyed the book, so I hope the film won't disappoint.
    edited July 2010
    That's not German. And it probably means something along the lines of "Coming this summer, from studio Ghibli: The Borrower Arrietty, based upon the children's fantasy novel The Borrowers written by Marry Norton", you know, standard announcement stuff that you can Google with ease.
    Post edited by ... on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    That's not German. And it probably means something along the lines of "Coming this summer, from studio Ghibli:The Borrower Arrietty, based upon the children's fantasy novelThe Borrowerswritten by Marry Norton", you know, standard announcement stuff that you can Google with ease.
    I know of the origin of the source material (having read the book myself), but thanks all the same. At least this will hopefully do the book justice than the shit film made in the 90s
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I know of the origin of the source material
    youdenseselfimportantmotherfucker.png
  • youdenseselfimportantmotherfucker.png
    Theseareneverrealimagesanditalwaysdissapointsme.gif
  • You know, Nine, perhaps he was just trying to look above your insult and be the bigger person. Maybe you should stop correcting every slight Matt makes. Start scrutinizing my posts and finding minor mistakes in those instead, I'm sure it'll be fun to have a new prey.
  • You know, Nine, perhaps he was just trying to look above your insult and be the bigger person. Maybe you should stop correcting every slight Matt makes. Start scrutinizing my posts and finding minor mistakes in those instead, I'm sure it'll be fun to have a new prey.
    Did you just fail to understand what Yupa said in his reply? He was doing none of this "being the bigger person" bullshit your blind eyes claim he did. There was no reason for that at all. He was being a fucking idiot blabbering about something utterly unrelated that was not even mentioned. Why the fuck would I care whether he knows what The Borrowers is or not? I wrote out what the trailer likely said and that you could easily find information via Google, nothing more. Now drop dead from your high horse and arise wiser. The zombie apocalypse needs more bodies.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for turning what could have been an interesting conversation on Studio Ghibli's next movie into a flamewar.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Thanks for turning what could have been an interesting conversation on Studio Ghibli's next movie into a flamewar.
    Flamewar? This was hardly a match burning. Back to Ghibli.
  • edited July 2010
    I didn't realise they were setting it in Japan. This should be interesting.
    I wonder if they're going to go back to the Totoro/Kiki style of small story. Spirited Away already has the big extravagant kids film done up and Mononoke mostly fills out the epic adventure.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Thanks for turning what could have been an interesting conversation on Studio Ghibli's next movie into a flamewar.
    I'll have you know that I, at all times, keep an exposed match stick in the folds of my couch. It has not ignited, ergo there has not yet been a flame war.
    I wonder if they're going to go back to the Totoro/Kiki style of small story.
    YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. (I agree, would be nice)
  • Adam won't watch it with me because he hates it when I cry and I don't like watching sad/heart wrenching films alone.
    Hey, I don't hate it when you cry! It makes me sad when you cry. Additionally though, GotF is about, essentially, horrible things happening to a brother and sister in 1950's Japan. You'd be a wreck afterward, and I only want you to be happy. :p
  • Hey, I don't hate it when you cry! It makes me sad when you cry. Additionally though, GotF is about, essentially, horrible things happening to a brother and sister in 1950's Japan. You'd be a wreck afterward, and I only want you to be happy. :p
    She shoots, But Adam dives across the net with a beautiful catch, right into the glove.
  • Hey, I don't hate it when you cry! It makes me sad when you cry. Additionally though, GotF is about, essentially, horrible things happening to a brother and sister in 1950's Japan. You'd be a wreck afterward, and I only want you to be happy. :p
    She shoots, But Adam dives across the net with a beautiful catch, right into the glove.
    LOL. I meant it made Adam sad not that he got angry at me for crying. :P
  • LOL. I meant it made Adam sad not that he got angry at me for crying. :P
    I know, but I couldn't resist the joke.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2010
    Miyazaki "Ipad is Masterbatory" ;-p
    Post edited by Rym on
    Hey, I don't hate it when you cry! It makes me sad when you cry. Additionally though, GotF is about, essentially, horrible things happening to a brother and sister in 1950's Japan. You'd be a wreck afterward, and I only want you to be happy. :p
    I think the best way to describe GotF is how I did so when both of you were on Geekchat a million years ago (do it again sometime please). Quote "About halfway into the movie, you would be in a rushing ambulance due to a severe case of dehydration."
  • edited March 2011
    I saw Laputa: Castle in the Sky, and I thought the plot and characters were a little weak, though I loved the music.
    I also saw Kiki's Delivery Service, which was quite touching. I was smiling for most of the movie (except when her powers waned, in particular when she couldn't hear Jiji speak).

Also, it's annoying that this thread is the Miyazaki thread and not the Studio Ghibli thread, because I posted about The Cat Returns and Whisper of the Heart in a different thread due to them not being Miyazaki movies.

I've now seen almost all the Ghibli movies that anyone talks about - Howl's and Ponyo remain. I've heard nothing about Only Yesterday, Ocean Waves and My Neighbors the Yamadas so I'm not sure if I should bother to watch those, while Tales from Earthsea I won't watch because I've heard about it.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on