This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

edited July 2010 in Everything Else
We have a thread for lots of types of media, so why not just TV shows? We have more available than ever before and in my opinion, TV has been at a high peak with the number of fantastic cable television shows. And thanks to Netflix (Indicated by Red Text), I can scroll around the great shows I've missed that I never looked at or BBC stuff.

Stuff I'm Watching Right Now:
-Burn Notice
-The IT Crowd
-The State
-Futurama (New, funny season)
-The Shield, 6th Season (Holy shit, this show is AMAZING.)
-Weeds
-Penn and Teller's Bullshit!
-The Deadliest Warrior (Is more entertaining than it should be)
-Hell's Kitchen (Yes, it's bad. But I think it's entertainingly bad.)
-Rocko's Modern Life (One of my favorite Nicktoons. It's so quotable and even stands with age.)

Stuff I've Finished Watching:
-HBO's Flight of the Conchords = Okay series, but great for getting into the FotC music.
-Party Down = Recently canceled. ;-;

Stuff I'm Waiting for the Next Season Of:
-Modern Family (My favorite network show at the moment)
-Community
-Glee
-The Office
-Breaking Bad
-Criminal Minds (They picked a good new serial killer to make a two-parter out of...)
-House (Though that finale really makes me sketchy, like the writers really need to pick up their A-Game soon)
-Dexter
-Californication (Missed the third season, but will catch up to it when it pops on DVD)

I know I'm missing a few more, but this is still probably more TV I'm watching than I have ever been. I'm open to any discussion or suggestions as well.

Comments

• Daily Show
    Colbert Report
    How I Met Your Mother (making my mom watch it)
  • I don't have TV, so the only TV watching I get at all is when I go bike at the gym. So, while I'm there, these are the only shows I even look at:

Jeopardy!
    Community

The latter only because it's immediately after the former on Thursdays. And even then, I only got interested in it because of the paintball episode.
  • True Blood
    Futurama
    Food Network or HGTV with the wife... >:(
  • Psych (Anyone who says this is a bad show is obviously a robot come from the future to prevent the destruction of Skynet)
    How I Met Your Mother (Even though the season's over)
    American Dad!
    Family Guy (SHUT UP I HAVE AN IMMATURE SENSE OF HUMOR)
    MythBusters
    30 Rock
    Futurama
  • Right now:
    Leverage
    Burn Notice
    Royal Pains
    Eureka
    Battlestar Galactica (season 4)

On deck (mostly stuff I'm rewatching or never finished):
    The Shield (on Season 4, but taking a break from it)
    X-Files (season 2)
    Carnivale

Shows I'm interested in watching:
    Weeds
    True Blood
    Sanctuary
    30 Rock
    The Office
    Arrested Development

Shows I'm waiting for:
    Dexter (09/26/10 not too far away!)
  • 30 Rock
    The IT Crowd
    Bones
    Community
  • Leverage
    I love leverage, but I want to stab the aeroplane episode in the FACE. Seriously, that shit makes Fly girls look like a documentary.
  • Leverage
    I love leverage, but I want to stab the aeroplane episode in the FACE. Seriously, that shit makes Fly girls look like a documentary.
    I had to google Fly Girls. Heh. The episode was alright. I thought Hardison talking about WoW was pretty hilarious and his other fake office worker shenanigans.
  • Doctor Who
    Work of Art
    Adventure Time
    Futurama
    Star Trek: TNG
    How Do I Look?
    Family Guy
    South Park
    The Colbert Report
    Project Runway (When it comes back)
    Codename: Kids Next Door
  • Codename: Kids Next Door
    Holy shit, I remember watching that as a kid. Am I really that old?
  • Honestly? I can't stand The IT Crowd. It's the same formulaic humor of any other sitcom, just with the proper nouns of things that nerds care about. I didn't laugh even once at the pilot, and it alternated between mediocre and painful.

Right now, I'm watching Hokuto no Ken, Rose of Versailles, Durarara, and occasionally the Daily Show.
  • Honestly? I can't stand The IT Crowd. It's the same formulaic humor of any other sitcom, just with the proper nouns of things that nerds care about. I didn't laugh even once at the pilot, and it alternated between mediocre and painful.

Right now, I'm watching Hokuto no Ken, Rose of Versailles, Durarara, and occasionally the Daily Show.
    I guess IT Crowd needs more exploding heads.

I guess IT Crowd needs more exploding heads.
    I agree, and I found the canned laughter going off at things that were just entirely not funny. I could barely watch any of it, especially when I heard the canned laughter and thought "am I supposed to be laughing now?" and cringed.
  • The only think I ever turn the TV on for is How I Met your Mother, Community, Weeds, and Mets games. I know there are a lot more shows out there tha I should be watching (South Park, Doctor Who, Futurama, 30 Rock, etc.), but I just don't enjoy TV as much as other forms of entertainment. I tried to watch The Guild over the weekend and couldn't finish the first episode. It just didn't click with me, and I can't remember the last time something was so universally recommended to me by people I trust, and I did not enjoy it. Does it significantly better after that first episode?

I have a basic knowledge of trashy TV these days primarily b/c my wife always has it on at night if we're just relaxing in the house, and I'm often in the same room either on the web or on my DS. She is a reality TV junkie, but makes the shows somewhat more interesting since she works in television and adds in her own anecdotes.

One more thought: my hometown best friend of many years has met a girl he is thinking of settling down with, and we met up a few weeks ago so he could introduce us. She seemed like a good fit, and then I found out she watches network news every day after she gets home from work. I had to hide my shock.
  • edited July 2010
    For the Summer Season

Shows I consistantly watch:
    True Blood
    Warehouse 13
    Burn Notice
    Futurama
    Being Human (when it starts up on BBC America again)

Shows I catch on rare occasion:
    Work of Art
    Dual Survival
    Mythbusters
    Dirty Jobs
    Gordon Ramsey's f Word
    Top Gear
    The Daily Show
    The Colbert Report
    The Rachel Maddow Show

Stuff on Netflix:
    The Tudors
    Rome (when I finish The Tudors)
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I agree, and I found the canned laughter going off at things that were just entirely not funny. I could barely watch any of it, especially when I heard the canned laughter and thought "am I supposed to be laughing now?" and cringed.
    I don't know how, but I have completely tuned laugh tracks out. I just don't hear them anymore unless I am specifically listening for them.
  • Wharehouse 13
    Warehouse 13 or is this some variate Whorehouse edition?
  • edited July 2010
    Wharehouse 13
    Warehouse 13 or is this some variate Whorehouse edition?
    Scott, do you know how many of your misspellings and instances of improper grammar I overlook? :P
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Coming Soon: From HBO and SyFy - a tale of an intergalactic cathouse, located on the fringes of Las Vegas, servicing clients from all across the universe. It's Whorehouse 13!
  • edited July 2010
    Honestly? I can't stand The IT Crowd. It's the same formulaic humor of any other sitcom, just with the proper nouns of things that nerds care about. I didn't laugh even once at the pilot, and it alternated between mediocre and painful.

I've watched the first episode so far. Somewhat enjoyable, but it does enough stuff different than a normal sitcom to keep my interested. It's only six episodes so far too, so it's not like drudging through anything terrible. And I also liked Richard Ayoade who I knew from Mighty Boosh/Darkplace.

And I think this thread is to separate live-action television from the Anime-goodness.
    Codename: Kids Next Door
    Holy shit, I remember watching that as a kid. Am I really that old?
    I remember it to, you are not alone.
    Post edited by Nukerjsr on
    I had the same deal with Big Bang theory. It's like watching any other canned laughter romance sitcom, but it just has some geek stereotypes thrown in.
  • Being Human (when it starts up on BBC America again)
    I am so excited for this, but I still need to see the end of season one. :/

I hear Work of Art isn't so good. Way TOO much drama even for Bravo. I like the occasional episode of Top Chef. Those people can F*ing cook. Unlike 3/4 the people on any Fox based cooking show. Seriously, Hell's Kitchen is full of amateurs; and everyone that has been on Kitchen Nightmares should give up and go work for the Post Office.
  • Being Human (when it starts up on BBC America again)
    I am so excited for this, but I still need to see the end of season one. :/

I hear Work of Art isn't so good. Way TOO much drama even for Bravo. I like the occasional episode of Top Chef. Those people can F*ing cook. Unlike 3/4 the people on any Fox based cooking show. Seriously, Hell's Kitchen is full of amateurs; and everyone that has been on Kitchen Nightmares should give up and go work for the Post Office.
    You can make soooooooooooo many gambles based of the Gordon Ramsay shows on Fox. "How many times is he going to swear?" "How many contestants will have a breakdown?" "Which challenge will they play today?" I'm still laughing over the Live Cookalong he did with Fox, because he was teaching people how to make Steak Diane and about 30 people set their houses on fire. But what's amazing, (And Kate Monster might be able to back me up with this one) is how amazing and memorizing his BBC shows are. Ramsay's Kitchen Nightmares really looks into the business, culinary, and professional side of restaurateurs where he really tries to help him. Unlike Fox where every episode is a big drama fest with a narrator, music cues, constantly swearing, and the most ignorant restaurant owners.

Ramsay is always entertaining to watch, but it depends on what channel you watch him on with how you'll be entertained.
  • I actually saw an episode or two of his Kitchen Nightmares on BBC a few years ago and I was really impressed. That show actually demonstrates his knowledge as a chef and a businessman, while he stoops down to the level of his contestants on Hell's Kitchen. I swear, half of their contestants would be at home on Maury Povich or Jerry Springer. I would like to see them go up against a fresh batch of contestants from a show like Top Chef and see what happened.
  • edited July 2010
    Honestly, not watching a lot right now. I still need to catch up on Durarara!!, I stream some Daily Show/Colbert Report/South Park when I feel like it, my brother is trying to get me interested in Fringe (not totally sold on it yet), and I'm currently downloading a giant Mythbusters torrent.

The only show I've been actively interested enough in to power through as of late has been Supernatural of all things. I watched all four seasons on DVD with my brother over the course of a few months, then we followed season 5 as it came out (season 6 and the animated series are both eagerly anticipated). That was quite surprising since it takes us both ages to watch most things. For example, we just started watching Hajime no Ippo together a few weeks ago, and though we both like it, we haven't gotten past episode 5 yet. Supernatural we would mow down a season in what felt like no time.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Watching BSG. I Watch it everyday in bed with my Ipod for about 10 minutes before I sleep. I don't particularly like it, but I like the action scenes and I just feel like I have to watch through the whole thing.
  • Watching BSG. I Watch it everyday in bed with my Ipod for about 10 minutes before I sleep. I don't particularly like it, but I like the action scenes and I just feel like I have to watch through the whole thing.
    The appeal of BSG to me was the pick-out-the-cylon-interlopers angle.
  • I began watching Babylon 5 on the recommendation of several people. While the pilot episode wasn't very impressive, episode two was such an upswing in quality that I have to keep watching now. Political intrigue... in space? That's what I loved most about Deep Space Nine. I wonder how they'll compare in the long run.

P.S. Dear Captain with the Zapp Brannigan voice, why would you ever leave your station to go fly a fighter jet against the enemy? >_<
  • Phineas and Ferb is the best show that the Disney Channel has created since Kim Possible.