This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weird Al throwback

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
Thought you guys might like this. I was doing some random viewings on youtube to pass the time because I couldn't sleep, and I stumbled upon these gems:

A video I assume Weird Al made for his short lived show way back when (memories *tear*) : The Alternative Polka

And a video to his newest polkaish pop song : Polkarama

I don't know about anyone else but I love the polka compilation tracks on his albums ^_^

Comments

• Weird Al isn't as weird as he used to be.
  • Weird Al isn't as weird as he used to be.
    Or maybe it's just that the rest of the world has caught up....
  • I saw him on Saturday night (Holy crap, somebody performed in Perth?!), and I've got to say that it was pretty incredible. He is 48 and can put a show on like *That*.

I find that Weird Al is exactly the same as what he used to be. His song parodies these days are far superior (IMO) - Writing a song about e-bay or the Jerry Springer show > A Fat joke song.
    Best album art?
  • The album is very good btw. Also, it finished off a 32 year album deal. Holy crap.
  • chaosof99 said:

The album is very good btw. Also, it finished off a 32 year album deal. Holy crap.

Holy crap, a 14 album deal.
  • I'm looking forward to what he can do now that he's off contract!
  • okeefe said:

I'm looking forward to what he can do now that he's off contract!

He said in an interview that he will no longer do albums, but release only singles instead and thus remain topical to whatever current music and situation is, rather than having to wait for enough material to fill an album with 12 songs and have some of the jokes and parodies outdated.
  • Mandatory fun is a solid album. After seeing some of the videos he was releasing I had to buy it. It is amazing how consistent his work has been over such a long time.
  • How soon until the mega box set release?
  • If you want to get some deep fucking Weird Al cuts, head to Google and find the page w/ a master listing of all songs he has ever only performed live. There are YouTube clips of most of them, even when it's recordings of stuff from late 80's concerts. It's not his best stuff, for sure, but for someone who has listened to every album forwards and backwards, it's quite a trip.
  • HMTKSteve said:

How soon until the mega box set release?

Possibly soon, especially with the Blu-Ray of UHF and The Compleat Al being released by Shout Factory in November.