This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 070319 - Version Control

RymRym
edited March 2007 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk about Version Control Systems, such as CVS or Subversion, in fairly nontechnical terms. In the news, we have a crazy lady and an interesting use of patents.

Scott's Thing - Twitter Vision
Rym's Thing - Barack vs Hillary: 1984 Style

Comments

• This was a good show I think.
  • What's with stealing Apple's old TV spot? Anybody else notice they added an iPod to the woman?

PS: I have not yet listened to the show but I have seen the video.
  • Twitter is voluntary RFID. I can't believe people are getting on board with it.
  • If I wanted something like Twitter I'd just give my daughter a cell phone.
  • Oh, I have no problem with voluntary tracking systems. I would let my close circle of friends watch my blip on Google Maps all day long if they wanted, and it would be quite useful when friends come to visit (I could see how close they were to arriving and such).

My only problem with Twitter is how absolutely silly the idea of manually updating it with mundane information is.
  • I always love when you talk about technology stuff like this. You always come up with interesting and entertaining analogies. Cooking goats as an analogy for forking is brilliant!
  • I know as of the 2003 Protege Mazdas tend to ship with sport tires, these tires are great in dry weather, but bad in rain and very bad in snow. This means that a good set of snow tires is often a good investment.
  • I know as of the 2003 Protege Mazdas tend to ship with sport tires, these tires are great in dry weather, but bad in rain and very bad in snow. This means that a good set of snow tires is often a good investment.
    Yeah, I'm considering getting separate summer and winter tires.
  • I've never had a use for snow tires, even living in Michigan. Granted, there weren't exactly hills or curved roads there, so there was little reason to bother even in the worst of weather. ^_~

My question is: where are you going to store these tires?
  • 1) The tire test is not as strict as Scott thinks; the actual test is holding the penny upside down, is the tread deep enough to reach the top of Lincoln's head?

2) Are Scrym virgin controlled 2.0?
  • Storing the tires is definitely a consideration, but my friend who is a Mazda fanatic who owns a 2003 Protege says that the difference between the stock tires and a set of snow tires is night and day.
  • You guys have been using "Luddite" very frequently lately.

Neo-Luddites...On the web!!!
  • I tried to go see that crazy lady's website:

Due to an increase in visitor traffic, the Web page you requested is temporarily unavailable. It has exceeded its monthly traffic allottment.

Please try again later.
  • I'm looking at it using google cache, ah irony.