This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Console Wars?

edited March 2007 in Video Games
I was just looking at this stupid story on digg about how Microsoft wants the MGS series and Final Fantasy for 360. Which on its own is a story that needs to be burried under "No shit Sherlock."

But I digress, so I was reading some of the comments one saying that if they were to switch consoles that that would kill Sony in the console war. Which got me thinking. Is there really a console war? Or is this whole "console war" thing just a fabrication of fanboys with too much time on their hands?

I mean granted Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all want their console to outsell the others, but they are in the end just trying to make money. Whether that is $1 or $1 million doesn't really matter as long as its profitable. They do obviously take shots at each other, but its really just a competition, just like any other industry. I mean we don't call it the car wars when we talk about the cars that each auto company releases every year. I can't think of any other industry where they use the term war to describe their competition, which is what leads me to think that its such a dumb thing for people to argue about which console is winning the war.

Comments

• The console war is not a physical reality, but a cultural reality.
  • I don't even really think its that at all. It seems like its just a bunch of walls, and forced distinctions created to divide gamers in some way. I mean its not like gamers that have an Xbox are somehow different from those that own a Playstation or those that own a Wii.
  • It's human instinct to identify and divide themselves into camps/tribes. It's as built in as the need to be reproductive.
  • PS3 comes out here tomorrow. I shall collect information and report for you.
  • edited March 2007
    It's human instinct to identify and divide themselves into camps/tribes. It's as built in as the need to be reproductive.
    Yes, and the evil corporations exploit this for "branding" and to create false "brand loyalty". Fight the power!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I have zero brand loyalty.

I ran with Nintendo through the NES and SNES days due to their having greatly superior game libraries. I loved Nintendo, but all the same defected instantly when the N64 came out. I was then a pure PC gamer for many years, until PC games started to wane. After Tribes II, I floundered for a while with other pursuits (no videogame offerings really interested me) until the DS era. Currently, I'm feeling the rise of the DS/Wii/PC triumvirate, but only time will tell.

When it comes to gaming, I'll go with ANYONE who has the games I want at the prices I'm willing to pay. I love Nintendo's wealth of social currency, but I purchase their games on a purely merit-based system. If the good games stop coming, or someone does them better, that's the end of that. ^_~
  • *agrees with Rym*

I am pretty much the same a Rym. I was a Nintendo fanboy until the N64. Mario and Zelda rocked, but nothing else on the system was really that good. Unlike Rym though I went the Playstation route. Then came the PS2. And now there's the Xbox/Wii/DS. It's funny. There really isn't a 'war' as much as there is a sense of...well I'm not sure what to call it. Nintendo is pretty much say "F YOU!" to the standard thinking of industry, Sony can't seem to get its head out of its ass and MS is CURRENTLY kicking ass.

Can this change? Yes. If Sony locks down some needed exclusives and brings out some kicking titles then I MIGHT consider buying a PS3. But right now I have very happy with my DS, Wii and 360.
  • I also agree with Rym. I had Nintendo when I was a kid because my mum bought it for me. I bought an Xbox because I thought it was better, and I bought a Wii because it excited me the most. When I get back from the US and save up some more money I'll probably buy a 360.
  • I definitely see myself either getting back into PC gaming in a big way, or getting a 360.
  • I definitely see myself either getting back into PC gaming in a big way, or getting a 360.
    PC gaming is definitely making a huge comeback this year. The problem is though, that if your computer isn't younger than six months old, your going to be missing out on most of what the new generation has to offer.
  • Yeah, unless there are more Wii or DS games coming out soon, a 360 or PC gaming blitz will be necessary. After Super Paper Mario and Pokemon there will be quite a drought, and we'll need a new well to get some hydration.
  • Nintendo was always the big player on the block because it held such a vast market share -- at least until the PlayStation came around. I've had a PS2 for years now, and I think it is incredibly superior to its counterparts (not withstanding online play, which is severely crippled) where serious, dark, inexpensive, widely available, addicting titles are concerned. I've become brand-devoted to PS2, but that isn't enough impetus to carry over to the PS3, no matter how fanboy-ish Dave and Joel are about it. Man, their last anti-Wii rant was harsh!
  • Man, their last anti-Wii rant was harsh!
    But true. The potential of the Wii as a platform is beyond compare. The DS has a great, but still smaller potential when compared to the Wii, yet its ability to reach that potential has been at least partially reached. Still, there is not a single DS game that really fulfills all the DS possibilities. Meanwhile, the 360 has no more potential than PCs had 5 years ago. Yet somehow, by fulfilling that entire potential they have been able to deliver more than the Wii does right now. When the Wii gets the games that live up to the potential of the platform, Dave and Joel will no longer be right.
  • I mean granted Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft all want their console to outsell the others, but they are in the end just trying to make money. Whether that is $1 or $1 million doesn't really matter as long as its profitable.
    Try explaining that to the stockholders.
  • Stockholders don't care as long as the company makes money, and shows that they will grow in the future, because thats what makes the stock price go up. If the company is expecting to make $1 of profit, and they do then thats just fine.
  • edited March 2007
    You know other than money, there is nothing to stop a gamer to buy all the consoles that come out. It's like the Japanese they are know for practicing more than one religion. Cover all your bets if you can I say.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Stockholders don't care as long as the company makes money, and shows that they will grow in the future, because thats what makes the stock price go up. If the company is expecting to make $1 of profit, and they do then thats just fine.
    Companies are constantly trying to manipulate their short term profits in order to meet their projected profits. The stock market definitely places value on the short term, as well as the long term. I agree, that the long term should be the most important... but there are countless companies that have made poor decisions in order to favor short term stock price gains.

I makes sense... many stockholders are only holding for the short term. Even the long term holders want the stock to go up sooner than later. A bird in the hand is better than two in the bush.
  • edited March 2007
    I'm starting to think that the Wii sold as well as it did because of expectation. The system was revolutionary, so surely the games would be.

Now that the Wii has been out for a few months, I'm starting to wonder if it's worth getting. I haven't heard of any games that are getting a lot of buzz. And if the games aren't there, what's the point?

No doubt the Wii is still selling well, but I wonder how long the hype can sustain those sales.

The X-Box is looking more likely than ever to dominate. Now if only we could convince the Japanese to agree.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • While I stil agree with Dave + Joel in that no games have even grazed the surface of the Wii's potential, I think in the longer term things will be ok. I look at my DS, and I remember there not being so many games when the DS first came out. I mean, we had Mario 64 and Advance Wars and that was it. Now, years after the release, I've got a fist-full of awesome DS games. Now that the Wii console has actually sold, and is still selling crazily, I don't think game developers and publishers can afford to ignore it like they did the GameCube. There are enough Wiis out there, and such a drought of games, that it is worth it to release games on it. While I don't 100% believe them, I am leaning towards rumors of Wii Katamari and Wii Guitar Hero being true. By this time in 2008, the full potential of the Wii will still not have been reached, but many awesome games will have been released and buying a Wii will have been totally worth it.

My suggestion to anyone without a Wii is to not buy one until they can be acquired easily in any store.
  • edited March 2007
    I'm thinking it's a chicken-egg scenario. The consoles still cannot be found in Ohio, so why would retailers here be scrambling to provide games? I mean, there aren't even Wii cases next to the PS2, GameCube, PSP, DS, and PC racks yet. Hell, there aren't even any controllers out here. The peeps at Wal-Mart keep telling me that they sell out of their 10 or so units per shipment each month immediately. When the Wii is widespread, the discs will be, too.
    Post edited by Jason on

• My suggestion to anyone without a Wii is to not buy one until they can be acquired easily in any store.
    Amen.
  • I think the SNES is winning the console wars... That or the TurboGrfx16... That's where most of the games I play on the Wii are coming from these days...
  • While I stil agree with Dave + Joel in that no games have even grazed the surface of the Wii's potential, I think in the longer term things will be ok. I look at my DS, and I remember there not being so many games when the DS first came out.
    Yeah, we should've been more explicit with that... I feel like I have been in the past. The DS line-up was crappity crap, but eventually they figured out how to actually use the touch screen instead of just sticking it into Gameboy ports as a gimmick and things got a lot better. I'm mostly just mad at Nintendo for not using the Wii to its fullest potential because I bought one right out of the gate, where I managed to wait to get a DS. But why SHOULD they? They don't have a fire under their ass like Microsoft or Sony, they're making a cool (estimated) $40 a system, and they're selling over four hundred thousand of these things a month according to the NPD numbers so they don't have to bother doing crazy things like putting out awesome content in a timely fashion. Where's Metroid? Where's Super Mario? Where's Smash Brothers? Where's ANY THIRD PARTY GAME WORTH BUYING? They don't even have a single game of the latter announced yet. It's annoying to see a company rest on their laurels when they have a system with a whole lot of potential.

I eagerly await the day that the Wii isn't stuffed of half-baked ideas and tech demos, but right now Nintedo's left me with a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I haven't even turned the dang thing on in a couple weeks. Everything out there is a shoddy PS2 port with waggle, it's annoying. At least the PS3 port of Ninja Gaiden comes with purty graphics and new content. Is there any legitimate reason to get Call of Duty 3 on the Wii? Is there even a reason to get a game like Cooking Mama (an exclusive) which, by all accounts, is just a crappy port of a decent(ish) DS game? Nintendo's life story is suffering from lack of third party support. I was all raring to get Puzzle Quest for the DS, until I saw screenshots which made it look like ass, and not one iota like the beautiful, crisp PC demo I played. However, the PSP version looks spot-on. What is Nintendo's problem? I'm sure their system can handle a goofy spirte-based Bejeweled game. If they need to re-institute the "Seal of Quality" or whatever, fine, but I'm tired of buying Nintendo systems for the sole purpose of playing Nintendo games. I want some third parties out there that really know how to waggle a remote, and I'm not anti-Wii. I am BEGGING for this, I would not be a tough sell if something remotely decent came by.

Re: Jason. I don't think our podcast was much of an anti-Wii rant, I was just letting off some steam. I was more concerned that the internet made EA and/or Chris Hecker belly-up and be a big pussy when all the guy was doing was speaking his mind. As for being PS3 fanboys, definitely not, like Rym I don't share any affiliation with anybody beyond what they're willing to sell me. As I've said before on the podcast, it's like Janet Jackson said: "What have you done for me lately?"... that being said, I do admit I spoke a little hyperbolically. It's been so long since Sony has had anything remotely resembling good news that I got a little overexcited when they actually had something worthwhile to share. I'm still totally pumped for Little Big Planet, though. I'm unfairly enamored with this sort of "Game 2.0" concept it pushes.
  • I found Rayman Raving Rabids to be a good Wii game. The mini-games used the Wii controllers in inventive and new ways.

I have also found that Super Swing Golf is a pleaseant golf simulation. It's not a "Tiger Woods" class game but it is entertaining and uses the Wii-mote as a golf club.

Mario Party 8 should be out by September.

Metroid Prime 3 should be out later in the year.
  • If they need to re-institute the "Seal of Quality" or whatever, fine,
    The seal of quality has never gone away. It's still there on every officially licensed Nintendo product. The seal of quality was never about labeling which games were good and which sucked. It is about labeling which products will not void your Nintendo warranties. It is also about preventing companies like Tengen making Nintendo games without paying Nintendo the licensing fee.

In other news, Mario Party 8 and Super Paper Mario are coming within a few weeks. Pokemon D+P are coming soon after. I think Nintendo's problem right now is that it releases the good new games in batches. If they released the same number of good games as they do now, but spread them out more, it wouldn't seem so bad. People just get mad because of these draughts. They could release one game every 2 or 3 weeks and keep the masses sated. Instead, they release 3 games in one week and then no more games for 3 months. What are they thinking?
  • Mario Party 8 was pushed back to the Summer.
  • Mario Party 8 was pushed back to the Summer.
    May 29 it looks like. Dang.
  • Super Paper Mario comes out in a couple of weeks though. I found out when I pre-ordered my Pokemon games!