This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Washer and Dryer Combo.

edited March 2007 in Everything Else
This hearkens back to an episode from weeks ago. Rym and Scott said that they washed their clothes at their house but took them to a laundromat to dry them. They don't have enough space for more than one machine. I've been meaning to post that there are single unit washers and dryers available now. Some are upright like this:

Others are just one box unit, like this:

You guys are masters of efficiency. It pains me to hear that you must leave the house to dry your clothes.

Comments

• We're not that dumb. We realize that these combos exist. The top/bottom combos are sometimes too tall to fit in our small space and are too expensive. The one-machine combos are stupidly expensive as well.
  • edited March 2007
    Just set up a clothesline out on the patio. Save yourself a drive to the laundromat and money.
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • Just set up a clothesline out on the patio. Save yourself a drive to laundromat and money.
    We do have a clothesline. Its usage is severely limited by weather. Also, some clothes are not good for the clothesline. Personally, I don't mind shirts, pants and sheets drying on the clothesline. However, I do not want underwear or towels to dry out there. The towels always end up being stiff instead of soft when they are dried outside.
  • Not to mention the smell of the clothes after leaving them on the line. Don't believe what those fabric softener commercials tell you.
  • I don't know what the big deal about smell of clothes is. Are clothes for smelling? My clothes seem to have two states. Either they smell from wearing them or they don't smell. Whether I dry them on the line or in the dryer, they don't smell like anything. However, when I put them in the dryer they come out warm. That feels very nice if I put the clothes on soon after drying them.
  • Whether I dry them on the line or in the dryer, they don't smell like anything. However, when I put them in the dryer they come out warm.
    Your clothes have a distinct odour whenever you dry them at the laundromat (probably due to setting the thing to high temperature). It's fairly unpleasant.

I verymuch prefer to line dry most of my clothes, and I can't wait for summer to return.
  • We have a dryer but hardly ever use it but I guess this climate is more conducive to the drying of clothes.
  • edited March 2007
    However, I do not want underwear or towels to dry out there. The towels always end up being stiff instead of soft when they are dried outside.
    Whether I dry them on the line or in the dryer, they don't smell like anything. However, when I put them in the dryer they come out warm.
    Your clothes have a distinct odour whenever you dry them at the laundromat (probably due to setting the thing to high temperature). It's fairly unpleasant.

I verymuch prefer to line dry most of my clothes, and I can't wait for summer to return.
    Um... do you guys use fabric softener? A nice Mountain Spring Downy (the one I like) or any scent you like and your clothes will have pleasant scent after they dry, clothesline or dryer. Of course if you use sheets, you wouldn't be using them when you line dry your clothes but then that's where liquid fabric softener comes in. That should solve the stiffness problem and add any odor you desire. Just have to make sure you add the right amount of softener.

You guys might know all of this already... but it didn't really sound like it.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • I don't have the stiffness problem Scott does, and I generally add as few chemicals to my laundry as possible. ^_~
  • Ah I see. Well that makes sense. But there are probably organic solutions as well. I just don't know any at the moment hehe ^.^ But I'll stumble across them eventually.
  • I also don't do fabric softener. Just detergent.
  • I don't have the stiffness problem Scott does
    I' m just glad we are talking about washers and dryers.
  • edited March 2007
    Apparently vinegar is a good alternative to fabric softener. It softens and deodorizes. I read this on several sites. On one site it was said that 1/2 cup is good for one load and another says 1-2 cups of vinegar. I guess you'd just have to measure out what seems best.

There were also odd natural fabric softener balls. They look strange... like blowfish. The concept seems to be that they tenderize your laundry... like meat? Dryer Balls Check it out.

There are a bunch of natural laundry detergents and things as well (just like there are natural house cleaners with oranges and stuff in them).

If you guys ever feel like experimenting with your laundry, let me know which one works best for softening.
    Post edited by RainbowRaven on
  • I can't be sure, but my gut instinct tells me that so-called "natural" detergents, etc. probably don't work.
  • I can't be sure, but my gut instinct tells me that so-called "natural" detergents, etc. probably don't work.
    LoL. I would try the vinegar. Everything else looks a tad weird though that might not mean they don't work.
  • This just might be the gayest thread on the whole forum.
  • I have heard that Scott also does not believe in "natural" impregnation to create offspring.

Scott, does the word "natural" activate your inner skeptic or something?
  • I have heard that Scott also does not believe in "natural" impregnation to create offspring.

Scott, does the word "natural" activate your inner skeptic or something?
    Only when used to describe alternative products with hippy marketing.
  • Scott feels like a natural woman.
  • My Washing machine's spin cycle spins at about 800-something RPM, so the clothes come out pretty much just at the damp stage - and hanging them out in the sun for an hour Dries them completely. Upsides? My clothes, towels and bedsheets don't fade as fast as people who have to leave them out all day, because They're not in the sun as long, and I only have to put them in my dryer for about five minutes to get them dry.

Downside? They're dry enough to wear straight out of the machine if I'm in a hurry, but its still kind of uncomfortable when they're a bit damp.