This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Social Network

GeoGeo
edited July 2010 in Movies
53OUHupfqws
I don't know if many of you care about this movie at all, but my thoughts on this are "Too soon?"

Comments

• edited July 2010
    Wooow. Waaayyy too soon.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Wooow. Waaayyy too soon.
    As much as people would like to think it so, I think the fact that the privacy issues came up while this was being made was entirely coincidental. Let's hope Fight Club director David Fincher knows what he's doing.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Not only too soon, but also pointless and unnecessary.
  • Not really too soon, but why is this a cinema film and not a TV documentary?
  • Not really too soon, but why is this a cinema film and not a TV documentary?
    Dunno. Mark Zuckerberg is the last Web App person I'd watch a biopic of. Larry Page and Sergey Brin, however...
  • edited July 2010
    Wooow. Waaayyy too soon.
    As much as people would like to think it so, I think the fact that the privacy issues came up while this was being made was entirely coincidental. Let's hope David Fincher knows what he's doing.
    I don't mean because of the privacy issues. I mean that Facebook really doesn't have a leagacy and making a film about the life of someone who is still really young seems pretty creepy. It's "waaayyy too soon" to be making a Facebook movie.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Not really too soon, but why is this a cinema film and not a TV documentary?
    Facebook is too much of an internet power and a movie about it will make big bank regardless of whether it is shit or not.
    Not only too soon, but also pointless and unnecessary.
    You kidding? Mark Zuckerberg is a prime candidate for a movie. It's pointless to us, but not to Hollywood.
    Not really too soon, but why is this a cinema film and not a TV documentary?
    Dunno. Mark Zuckerberg is the last Web App person I'd watch a biopic of. Larry Page and Sergey Brin, however...
    TWiT and Leo Laporte?
    Post edited by Geo on
  • it's pointless to us, but not to Hollywood.
    And guess who ultimately matters in that equation when a film hits the box office?
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    it's pointless to us, but not to Hollywood.
    And guess who ultimately matters in that equation when a film hits the box office?
    Not us in the sense that we're human beings and have opinions, but our money.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • it's pointless to us, but not to Hollywood.
    Dude, you're neglecting the fact that one can have a preconceived notion of something, which leads to whether or not you spend money on it. Trailers try to influence your opinions so that you will spend that money. I turned off the trailer before it was over; the thing just sounds dumb as hell. I won't be seeing it.
  • You forget the most important piece of information about this movie, Aaron Sorkin (the West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, the American President, A Few Good Men, etc.) wrote it. That's the only reason I care at all about this movie.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    it's pointless to us, but not to Hollywood.
    Dude, you're neglecting the fact that one can have a preconceived notion of something, which leads to whether or not you spend money on it. Trailers try to influence your opinions so that youwillspend that money. I turned off the trailer before it was over; the thing just sounds dumb as hell. I won't be seeing it.
    No I'm not. I'm well aware of what a trailers' purpose is and how one's opinions factor into the decision of releasing a film into the box office. My thoughts in this discussion is that based on what the subject of this movie as well as the multi-faceted bad timing (in my opinion), the heads of the studio probably don't care that much about any criticisms anyone has against it. They know the vast majority of viewers will see it based on the name alone and nothing else, so why care? However, I'm not cynically blinded and stupid enough to say there aren't other audiences who will see this movie, but the former is probably what they're shooting for in the long run.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • So this movie has no connection at all with the novel Accidental Billionaires?
  • So this movie has no connection at all with the novelAccidental Billionaires?
    It's based on that. From what I understand Sorkin adapted the script from that book.
    It's based on that. From what I understand Sorkin adapted the script from that book.
    I'm interested in what the result might be like. Granted, I've never read the book, but I might want to sometime. Is it good?
    I'm interested in what the result might be like. Granted, I've never read the book, but I might want to sometime. Is it good?
    I hear that it's really, really good.
  • They know the vast majority of viewers will see it based on the name alone and nothing else, so why care?
    "The Social Network" is not a name that attracts people who want to see just because of the name. "Black Dynamite" is one such movie, so is "Master of the Flying Guillotine."
  • edited July 2010
    Trent Reznor is doing the score! That's all I know or care about this movie.
    "The Social Network" is not a name that attracts people who want to see just because of the name. "Black Dynamite" is one such movie, so is "Master of the Flying Guillotine."
    And Black Dynamite was hilarious.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • BWAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAAHAA! Oh Hollywood, is there nothing you won't sensationalize by going to hell and back?
  • edited July 2010
    Alright Hollywood, when's 4chan: The Movie coming out?
    Post edited by progSHELL on
    edited July 2010
    Alright Hollywood, when's 4chan: The Movie coming out?
    After Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 of the Hoopz Barkley SaGa and I Wanna Be The Guy have been released on blu-ray.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited July 2010
    Alright Hollywood, when's4chan: The Moviecoming out?
    Haha, Like HELL they're gonna make THAT movie.

Although I would do anything to see it in theaters.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • They'll probably call that one "All for moot"
  • OHHHHHHH snap, I just had a great idea. Geeknights: The Movie. It could be like Radio Free Roscoe meets Brokeback Mountain. (Did anyone else watch RFR?)
  • OHHHHHHH snap, I just had a great idea.Geeknights: The Movie. It could be like Radio Free Roscoe meets Brokeback Mountain. (Did anyone else watch RFR?)
    What actors can we get to the main stars?
  • They know the vast majority of viewers will see it based on the name alone and nothing else, so why care?
    "The Social Network" is not a namethat attracts people who wantto see just becauseof the name. "Black Dynamite" is one such movie, so is "Master of the Flying Guillotine."
    I would argue that the vast majority of most people and non-geeks usually associate social networks primarily with Facebook. There is Myspace, but as far as I can tell (I'm most likely wrong though), no one really cares about it anymore except for the people who hold on to their account(s) for whatever reason.
  • OHHHHHHH snap, I just had a great idea.Geeknights: The Movie. It could be like Radio Free Roscoe meets Brokeback Mountain. (Did anyone else watch RFR?)
    What actors can we get to the main stars?
    I'm not sure about Rym, but for Scott we can get Justin Bartha.
  • Where's that picture of Sean Connery in the man-thong with Rym's face shopped over it when we really need it?
  • I'm not sure about Rym, but for Scott we can get Justin Beiber.
  • edited July 2010
    You forget the most important piece of information about this movie, Aaron Sorkin (the West Wing, Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip, the American President, A Few Good Men, etc.) wrote it. That's the only reason I care at all about this movie.
    It's a good script, for sure. The weakest bit is probably the ending... It definitely ends with a feeling of "Oh, you did make this movie too soon."

I liked the script enough that I'll probably see it in theaters because I want to see what Fincher can do with it.
    OHHHHHHH snap, I just had a great idea.Geeknights: The Movie. It could be like Radio Free Roscoe meets Brokeback Mountain. (Did anyone else watch RFR?)
    I love Radio Free Roscoe.
    Post edited by RyienKu on