This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tattoos

If you would get a tattoo, what would it be? Any tattoo related stories?

I would get a Mandelbrot/heart hybrid on my chest.

Comments

• I would get one if they weren't permanent. The problem is that if I think of anything I would have gotten a tattoo of in the past, I'd be regretting it by now. One day they will have a way to turn your skin into a digital display, and I'll be able to upload jpgs or whatever, or turn it off.
  • I would get one if they weren't permanent.
    Temporary Tatoo
  • Temporary Tatoo
    Yeah, not really as exciting.
  • If you're getting a tattoo, I recommend you get something that is meaningful to you. Maybe some kind of family seal, or something related to things that happened in your life. Once you decide on the design, let it rest for at least 6 months, to see if you are not going to regret it and still wanna do it.
    For my tattoo I researched a bit about my family genealogy and found out that there were a few different crests and coat of arms along the years. Me and my brother decided on one, and my dad even got and ornamental shield with it to hang on the wall. Since my family name is something I'm proud of and will carry it through out my life and pass on to my children, I will not regret this.
    The lion is a common charge in heraldry. It traditionally symbolises bravery, valour, strength, and royalty, since traditionally, it is regarded as the king of beasts.
  • it is regarded as the king of beasts.
    That was back before we knew about T-Rexes.
  • If I were to ever get a tatoo I would want to design it myself, but I don't think I would ever get one.
  • edited July 2010
    I would get a Mandelbrot/heart hybrid on my chest.
    At what resolution?
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • If I was to get a tattoo (As in, probably never.) I'd like to have The Angel of The North:
    Probably across the shoulder or along the shoulder-blades.
  • Temporary Tatoo
    Yeah, not really as exciting.
    You should have read the whole article.
    Temporary variants of permanent tattoos
    Some tattoos applied with a tattoo gun may be less permanent or easier to remove; however, as these involve insertion of pigments under the skin and do not involve the removal or degradation of all materials involved, they can not be considered completely temporary.

Removable tattoos
    Specially formulated inks are much easier to remove. Last only 3-6 months. This ink is a disappearing ink. Currently InfinitInk is such an ink, available in the US. It contains all the pain of a real tattoo but fades away.

Semi-permanent tattoos
    Some practitioners offer tattoos that they claim to be temporary, but will last for a period of years rather than days. These are applied using a tattoo gun, and are therefore the closest substitute for the permanent tattoo experience, including the discomfort. These tattoos are supposed to gradually fade away over time, leaving no trace. Some tattoo artists claim that the inks are inserted closer to the surface, allowing them to gradually slough off, while others claim to use special inks that naturally disperse over time.
    There is some discrepancy as to whether these semi-permanent tattoos are in fact "temporary tattoos" at all. In practice, semi-permanent tattoos have had mixed results, and caution would say that any tattoo performed by inserting pigment under the skin should be considered permanent.
    They're done with a tattoo gun and all the pain associated with it. I'm not sure if it would be cheaper though. I'm kind of interested in the disappearing ink tattoo.
  • I would get a Mandelbrot/heart hybrid on my chest.
    At what resolution?
    Ah, I need to rephrase that, if I would get a tattoo, I would have like that design idea. But, I'm afraid of needles. So I know I'm not going to get one, I'm still interested in the designs though. The Mandelbrot/heart idea has not much meaning to it, but I think it would make a cool design.
  • But, I'm afraid of needles
    See, so am I - I'm deathly afraid of needles, but tattoo guns don't bother me, because they don't look like needles at all.
  • I think okeefe just means what resolution of the Mandelbrot set you would choose.
  • edited July 2010
    I think okeefe just means what resolution of the Mandelbrot set you would choose.
    About three inches big. I would love to make a design of it, but alas I lack the skills, I would like to see someone tackle it however.

But, I'm afraid of needles
    See, so am I - I'm deathly afraid of needles, but tattoo guns don't bother me, because they don't look like needles at all.
    I've never seen a tattoo gun my my life actually...
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • I've never seen a tattoo gun my my life actually...
    The basic workings of the machine are like this -
    But an example of an actual machine is thus -
  • I would get one if they weren't permanent. The problem is that if I think of anything I would have gotten a tattoo of in the past, I'd be regretting it by now. One day they will have a way to turn your skin into a digital display, and I'll be able to upload jpgs or whatever, or turn it off.
    If you're getting a tattoo, I recommend you get something that is meaningful to you. Maybe some kind of family seal, or something related to things that happened in your life. Once you decide on the design, let it rest for at least 6 months, to see if you are not going to regret it and still wanna do it.
    I have two tattoos. The first I got 9 years ago and the second 7 years ago. I don't regret either, because I specifically chose two designs (I actually designed them myself) that meant and now still mean nothing to me. The only thing I could possibly regret is the fact I got the tattoos at all. But I don't think I will.

One is a bat, the other is a lizard.
  • One is a bat, the other is a lizard.
    Tattoo Number 3 - a Batlizard.
  • edited July 2010
    This is the logo for my old punk band:
    and I and three other members of the band have tattoos of it. Frankly, it's pretty dumb, but I don't regret it at all, because it represents a great time in my life and a lot of good memories.

That's the only tattoo I have so far, and it's been almost 10 years. I've always entertained the idea of getting more, but haven't yet for two main reasons -- 1) I haven't thought of much that I'd actually want to get, and 2) tattoos, especially the kind I'd want (I'm partial to the big japanese-style ones, for instance) are very expensive.

The one thing I think I might like to get eventually, when I have more money than I know what to do with, is one of those japanese style octopuses, only it's Cthulhu.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • If I ever got a tattoo, I'd probably get it in a place that's easy to show people, but not obvious. Something I can cover with a shirt or bracelet/wristband easily. However, I just can't think of anything that means enough to me to put it on my skin. That, and the whole "being fat" thing means that, as far as I can tell, it'll look like shit after a few years anyway.
  • Girls dig them.
  • Something I can cover with a shirt or bracelet/wristband easily. However,
    I used to want to get a band of frankenstein-style stitches around my wrist, so I could put a watch over it.
  • Any tattoo I got would be buried under a blanket of hair.
  • Just tattoo your hair.
  • I'd fancy the family coat of arms and the Spanish national coat of arms, as well as an armband composed of the names of all the countries I've been to, growing as more are visited. There's also a Hunter S Thompson quote that I wouldn't mind having somewhere inconspicuous.
  • I have a bat
    bat tattoo
    and a snake.
    no shirt on

Both have meaning for me. The bat represents accepting whatever happens and rising above the situation no matter how dire it may seem. In other words rather than whine about 'the bad things' that 'happen to you' shut up and learn from them. The snake symbolizes wisdom, enlightenment, personal growth, adaptability and unconventionality. I designed the snake, and most of the concept work for the bat, although the artist changed it up a bit and made it look totally awesome. I'm very happy with both and if I were to get more they would be in the same style. I can't see myself regretting them, I thought about both for over a year before I was able to have them applied and the meanings aren't something that goes out of style. The most important thing I can say though is make sure you look at the artists work before hand. If you have a cool design and the artist screws it up then that is no good.
  • I have a bat
    So do I, quite often.
  • One of my profs said he would give an A to anyone who would tattoo this on their forearm.
    void swap(void **x, void **y)
    {
    void *t = *x;
    *x = *y;
    *y = t;
    }
  • Whatever tattoo I choose it has to be created by me and be a symbol that represents me in the best way. That way I can truly live with it.
  • I see a lot of people who have tattoos designed by themselves, but this is not a possibility if you have no art skills.
  • That is a bit of a fallacy. You see, you can design the tattoo, come up with all the concept work, describe it etc to your artist, and then pay them some money, and they actually make the tattoo based on your specs. So you can still decide on all the style, design, colors etc and let them create it, then if you don't like what they have wrought you can get them to change it a bit. If you don't want to see a solution you won't, but there are plenty of ways to get what you want.
  • edited July 2010
    I see a lot of people who have tattoos designed by themselves, but this is not a possibility if you have no art skills.
    I was about to say that. I would never get a tattoo designed by me. I can barely draw stick man. On my case I took the shield to the tattoo artist and he made the drawing viable for tattooing. Off course the concept is got to be by me, or else it would just be silly.
    Post edited by sucrilhos on