This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Longest Time Spent on a Game

edited March 2007 in Video Games
What is the game you have spent the most collective time playing in your life? It doesn't necessarily have to be your favorite or the best, but one where you were just determined to play it as much as possible. How many hours do you think you have dumped into that game?

Comments

• Hmm... It's either Civ II, CounterStrike, X-Com, or TIE Fighter.
  • Black and White 2. I've been playing for a week and I'm still not done.
  • Sim City 2000. Hands down. No match. Just when you think there's no reason to play anymore, *pop!* There goes a major development somewhere. I played to the point where all my buildings became the highest-grade eco-domes, but I could never get it to do the fabled part where they launched into space.
  • Easily BF2. I logged in around 150 hours on that baby and I am still going strong.

Here is my profile you want more details linky.
  • Tough call, tough call. It's probably Counter-Strike though.
  • Because so many games are available to me today, I tend to get disinterested in them faster. I just don't play modern games as long or as thoroughly. They are disposable. But when I only had access to about 30 games for my 386sx back in the day, I had to play the hell out of them.
  • I find that the real trick is to make the games dynamic. The more dynamic a game is, the more playing time you will get out of it. This is why multiplayer games usually last longer than single player games do.
  • World of Warcraft. Not even a contest.

I played the crap out of FFX. I did everything humanly possible. Lulu's doll had a physical attack for 99,999 damage. The game was maxed out. I couldn't remember ever having played a single game longer. Total play time: 140 hours (5.83 days)

Total play time on just one of my WoW characters: 17 days.

I'm not even close to a WoW fanatic. I played for about 9 months, on and off since the game started. Plenty of people have played nonstop for 2 years, and have for more invested in their characters than I ever did. A friend of mine has 60 days logged on his primary, and he has other characters as well.

At a certain point, a reasonable person must admit that any game which attracts 8,000,000 people to put in untold amounts of time for years on end must be good. If they aren't pumping mind-altering drugs out of your CPU fan, or using hypno-waves generated by your LCD to make you think you like it...just what are they doing? Obviously, something right.

I don't really play anymore, but that doesn't really detract from the experience. I'd still like to see a shooter, strategy game, or RPG that can compare to experiences of my past, but I've lost all optimism that it will happen.
  • edited March 2007
    FF7 is one of them. My current save has 112 hours. Other than that, Megaman 2 has gotten a LOT of play over the 20 years. Recently though all the games I've played haven't really had much lasting value.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • Maybe it was a MUD I played in high school, maybe.
  • Civ 2 has stolen a lot of my life, especially the parts where I should have been asleep. I have delayed installing Civ 3 for a long, long time. I don't dare installing it before I pass my final exam this summer.
  • Pokemon Red Version with about 75 hours.
  • edited March 2007
    Honestly, probably WWF No Mercy for the N64, which I emulate to this day because my N64 died. Just did match after match after match or made and tweaked Create a Wrestlers. Either that or Super Mario 64. I was stuck at 118 stars for YEARS(admittedly, I didn't play it that much for a few of those) and then last year just a little bit before the 64 died, I finally got 119. I can't ever get 100 coins in the clock level
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • The Pokemon games have sucked hundreds (if not thousands) of hours of my life.

The biggest time-sync has to be Civiliation. Civ II is a close second.
  • The only way I can say this with certainty is because there was an in-game clock. Because of its nature, with World of Warcraft I had about 3.5-4 days of game play on just one of my level sixties. I know I poured lots of time into Red Alert and Age of Empires in my youth, but I can't say with any degree of accuracy how many hours I spent on those games. I'm happy to say I'm 12 months clean next month.
  • I will have to say Starcraft.
  • Theres been a few. The most recent was Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines last year. Civ II has also consumed more than it's fair share of time over the years.
  • I think you misread the output of /played. It is not possible to get a character to level 60 in 3.5-4 days of play time. If that were the case, all those Korean powerlevelers wouldn't be advertising 2-week turnarounds with 24/7 play.

It takes about 14 days to get to level 60, longer if you spend a lot of time in PvP or anything else that doesn't generate xp. It takes less than that to get from 61-70, but I'm not sure what the average is.
  • It takes 14 days to get to level 60? We've got some WoW 14 day trial CDs. Tell me again why anyone pays to play this game?
  • Nah Kenjura. I'm talking about the time played on the characters at level 60. Meaning....3-4 days at level sixty, so 72 hours at just one level. It was probably something like a month total in hours of game play for just one of the toons. I don't recall now though.
  • A while ago I tried a two week trial of WoW (I thought $2 was a reasonable price). They cap your level at 20, so you can't get all the way on the trial.
  • It takes 14 days to get to level 60? We've got some WoW 14 day trial CDs. Tell me again why anyone pays to play this game?
    Because grinding for 14 days straight isn't fun.
  • Because grinding for 14 days straight isn't fun.
    Grinding in general isn't fun. Much of WoW depends upon relationship between reward and sacrifice. You spend time hitting a button and you get rewarded for it. You then remember how good it felt to press that button so you do it again and get rewarded even more. That is what makes WoW so addictive. There is no real skill involved, it's just pressing the correct button combination for your character to get the maximum reward.
  • Hmm... I'd say the original Civ (I began playing it around 1998 when I first got into gaming, mostly by way of Pokemon- I haven't played any since Gold though, and I'm proud of it). I've also played a lot of SSBM. I've played both Elite Beat Agents and Meteos for 30+ hours. Majora's Mask might even make the cut, simply because I kept on starting over. DK64 is also a biggie.
  • edited April 2007
    At a certain point, a reasonable person must admit that any game which attracts 8,000,000 people to put in untold amounts of time for years on end must be good. If they aren't pumping mind-altering drugs out of your CPU fan, or using hypno-waves generated by your LCD to make you think you like it...just what are they doing? Obviously, something right.
    Why does every post you make cause you to sound like a WoW apologist? This is like the third time you've stuck in a pro-WoW spiel into a thread where nobody asked.

As for my longest game... time-wise it's probably a MUD, like Scott, probably Gemstone III, which was totally awesome and still handily surpasses silly MMORPGs in terms of customization. For a REAL game it's probably something stupid like Einhander or King of Fighters '98.
    Post edited by Dave on
  • edited April 2007
    For a REAL game it's probably something stupid like Einhander or King of Fighters '98.
    Oh man, Einhander! I forgot all about that game! I played it at a friends house after he rented it from Blockbuster and burned a copy. I only played it for maybe a few hours total, but I knew it was an awesome shooter. This is definitely one I have to go find and emulate.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Oh, I forgot to mention New Super Mario Bros. I've gotten every single last star coin and I've gotten pretty good. I bet a lot of you haven't realized this, but they organized it in a way to make speedruns possible every time. I think they seed the ! blocks with wings with a solid number and not a changing number (like time). You need a blue shell to get to the first cannon, and the ! block moves perfectly into your range (containing a blue shell) as to make it possible. The level design deserves a lot more credit that it gets.
  • I'm surprised to see so few MMOs on this list. For me it was probably Ultima Online, cause even every time I got tired of playing the game I went back and played it. I eventually stopped that of course. I can't pinpoint exactly how long I played it, however I'm sure I spent at least a third of that time running back to my corpse.
  • Day of Defeat, that other Halflife 1 mod that no one really talks about but is the 2nd most popular HL1 mod after Counter-Strike. I started playing it when I was still in high school and I still play several times a week now that I've graduated from college. That's a damn long time
  • Day of Defeat, that other Halflife 1 mod that no one really talks about but is the 2nd most popular HL1 mod after Counter-Strike. I started playing it when I was still in high school and I still play several times a week now that I've graduated from college. That's a damn long time
    I tried to play that game a few times, but it wasn't immediately obvious what I was supposed to do. Rather than try to figure it out, I played Natural Selection instead.