This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Guillermo del Toro directing At the Mountains of Madness

edited July 2010 in Movies
http://geeksofdoom.com/2010/07/29/guillermo-del-toro-to-finally-direct-lovecrafts-at-the-mountains-of-madness-with-the-help-of-james-cameron/

R-rating, period piece, big-budget Lovecraft film... oh, and while we're at it, throw in James Cameron. Oh, and have him film it in 3D.
...I remember when I saw ‘Alien’ and I was absolutely blown away by it. I saw John Carpenter’s ‘The Thing,’ I saw Kubrick’s ‘The Shining.’ These were massive movies in a genre that normally doesn’t get massive movies. (With) ‘Mountains of Madness,’ there are two things that I’ve been battling all these years: period and R-rated, and a very very tough ending, so the studio is very scared of period obviously, he’s very scared of the budget and an R-rating, and the first conversation I always have is, ‘Does it have to be R?’ and I go, ‘Yes.’ ‘Does it have to be period? Does it have to be Antarctica?’ ‘Yes.’...
This is off the hook.

Comments

• edited July 2010
    This (and his Haunted Mansion movie) is exactly why Guillermo del Toro is my favourite director right now. Start with awesome stuff like Hellboy and Pan's Labyrinth and continue to do nothing but awesome, Mr. del Toro.

The problem with this movie is that it has been gestating for a few years now, like most of the movies in his list. Maybe James Cameron can do something good (which would be a change for the past decade) and get this movie finally off the ground with him as a producer.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • This is the one where they go to the secret mountains, discover the Old Ones, and then get pwn3d by the Shoggoth. Right? If so, that's good. It's probably the Lovecraft tale most suited for a movie. My favorite is probably The Dreamquest of Unknown Kadath, but it would make no fucking sense as a movie.
  • This is the one where they go to the secret mountains, discover the Old Ones, and then get pwn3d by the Shoggoth. Right?
    Yes, that's the one! :)
  • Guillermo del Toro is my favourite director right now.
    His movies are always super beautiful too. I really like his stuff.
  • I am looking forward to this.
  • His movies are always super beautiful too. I really like his stuff.
    His movies are good, but I almost feel he's a better cinematographer than a director. His stories are like exquisite picture books.