This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Underwear Pervert comic books

edited July 2010 in Manga/Comics
Moving this discussion from the WTF of the day thread:
Posted By: ChurbaAm I the only one around here who knows a lot about/likes the underwear pervert books, rather than being disdainful of them and going for Manga instead, or am I not? I'm getting confused, here.
For what it's worth I used to be huge into the underwear pervert comics back in the mid-eighties through about '99. Marvel/DC/Image - I was a regular fiend at the comic store. About midway through the '90s my tastes started to change and I started picking up more Indie and Vertigo titles. Around '99 I met my soon-to-be-Ex-wife and cut out comics entirely. Granted, she made me, but for what it's worth I was essentially throwing money down a hole on stuff I read once and then didn't give a shit about anymore, so in essence she did me a favor.

Flash forward and I'm back to reading some stuff, but not at the Marvel-Zombie-Level I was before. I look through a book here and there when it strikes my fancy. I checked out the Marvel Noir line and found it interesting, but I'm going to wait for trades on those instead of buying the floppies. I check out The Boys every month because it's just that damn insane. Anyone else want to throw in some reading suggestions here?

Comments

• Anyone else want to throw in some reading suggestions here?
    Plenty.
    The Sandman and everything attached to it.
    Batman - The Dark Knight Returns.
    Batman: The Killing joke
    Atomic Robo
    12 reasons why I love her
    Castle Waiting
    110 Percent
    Transmetropolitan
    Love and Capes
    The Life and Death Of Beatrice Shanks, By Grimm Comics (Probably my favourite book of 2009)
    Johnny Hiro
    Masterpiece comics
    Doctor 13
    Fables
    Cairo
    Nothing Better
    Cthulhu
    Exit wounds
    Re-Gifters

That's all for now, off the top of my head. I'll think more and talk more later.
  • 110 Percent
    Do you mean 100% by Paul Pope? I can't find any 110%/percent. I've been meaning to read more Paul Pope -- I have Heavy Liquid, but it didn't really catch my interest right away, so it went back on the shelf. I read Batman Year 100 recently, though, and it was amazing. I mean, the story was pretty solid, nothing too special, but the art/visual storytelling was incredible. Paul Pope is a goddamn comics genius. I must steal his mojo.
  • Do you mean 100% by Paul Pope?
    Nope, I mean 110 Percent by Tony Consiglio.
    I read Batman Year 100 recently, though, and it was amazing.
    That was a pretty immense comic, I'll give you that.

Also, a few further ones -
    Locas, by Jaime Hernandez
    Finder: Sin-Eater
    From Hell (Better than the rather Meh movie)
    Plastic Man (Particularly the Archives, or trades)
    Drawn to You (Lucy Knisley, Erica Moden)
  • Nope, I mean110 Percent by Tony Consiglio.
    Augh! Why'd he have to spell it the one way I'd never find it!
  • Stuff that I've been reading/re-reading regularly lately:

Marvel Noir
    The Boys
    Damn near anything by Neil Gaiman
    Preacher
    PS238
    Nodwick
    Girl Genius
    Invincible
    Dynamo5
    The Walking Dead
    Any and all Astro City I can get my hands on
    Top Ten
    Incorruptible
    Irredeemable
    Echo
    Rasl
    Bone
    Strangers In Paradise

I'd also like to second the vote for Transmetropolitan. Damn good stuff there.
  • I like how almost nothing recommended in the Underwear Pervert thread thus far has been an Underwear Pervert book.
    Invincible
    Invincible is the only regular-series superhero book I've read in years, probably almost entirely because it doesn't have the continuity issues that I mentioned in the other thread.
  • edited July 2010
    The only actual Marvel/DC underwear pervert comics I'm still reading are:

Runaways - I keep buying the digests, but I haven't read them since BKV left the book. I should probably do that before I keep ordering more.
    Marvel Cosmic (Nova, Guardians of the Galaxy) - These started out great, but have been declining lately. Hopefully with the hiatus and the Thanos book it will improve.
    Ex Machina - It's all over! Going to re-read the entire thing. (Wildstorm is DC)
    Jonah Hex - Reliably good wild west stories released regularly.

Nothing else I read really qualifies as underwear pervert. I read a few random issues here and there, like Brightest Day #1 (sucks big time), Young Allies #1 (ok, might get the trade), and Ultimate X #1 (definitely getting the trades).

Every other book I read is Vertigo, The Boys, indie, or manga.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited July 2010
    Scanning my shelf, top publishers in descending order are:
    VIZ
    Vertigo (DC, but you know)
    Dark Horse
    Top Shelf (got most of them during a big sale, never got around to reading them)
    DC
    Marvel
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • I like how almost nothing recommended in the Underwear Pervert thread thus far has been an Underwear Pervert book.
    I think that's probably because most of us are beyond the "OMG XMEN ROOL DC SUX" stage. That's not to say we don't have our favorite characters or comics, mind you. I personally wouldn't mind revisiting some of the books I read back in the '90s but trying to find trades of them is like the proverbial needle in the haystack. A lot of the Valiant and Malibu books either never made it to TPB status or the trades are long since out of print, which really sucks because their universes were coherent and cohesive (at least until they started crossing over with Image and Marvel, respectively). Given that Marvel now actually owns Malibu and all the Ultraverse properties and Valiant sold out to Acclaim (and subsequently went tits-up), we're not likely to see those characters in any incarnation anytime soon. I've started hunting down collections of these books from The Usual Sources, but that's going to be a long haul project for me and not one that I'm going to get completed anytime soon.
  • I thought Underwear Pervert referred to superhero comics. Is it just all American comics? Either way, I've heard good things about Preacher and Walking Dead, which of those should I go for first?
  • VIZ
    The amount of manga one needs to buy to follow a series just consumes shelving ravenously.
  • I thought Underwear Pervert referred to superhero comics. Is it just all American comics? Either way, I've heard good things about Preacher and Walking Dead, which of those should I go for first?
    Preacher. Walking Dead starts petering out ~40 issues in.
  • The amount of manga one needs to buy to follow a series just consumes shelving ravenously.
    Yeah, that's exactly it. I don't even have many series', it's just so damn many volumes per series.
  • edited July 2010
    I thought Underwear Pervert referred to superhero comics.
    Well, yeah, technically it is just superhero comics. I guess starting this thread was my way of rebelling against the "OMG MANGA IS SO GOOD AMERICAN COMICS SUCK" mindset that a lot of fans out there have these days, in addition to the zombie fanboy proliferation in fans of American books. There's a boat-load of good American-produced comics out there, both underwear pervert and not. The trouble happens when Sturgeon's Law kicks in and proves itself once again - there's a lot of useless crap out there to sort through and a lot of times the good stuff gets lost in the flood or forgotten because it's so old. Stuff like Claremont's Dark Phoenix arc in X-Men, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, and Grant Morrison's Animal Man get relegated to the mists of time while the kids just sit there and lap up the same regurgitated Spider-Man, X-Men, and JLA plot-lines every month instead of broadening their horizons. Sure, there are some good modern story arcs, but sadly the companies think they have to water them down and then spray them across every book they publish so they can get the fanboys to buy every book they publish for six months straight just to get the entire tale. And ghawd forbid that some writer try to take a novel direction with a character and maybe change them up a little, otherwise you end up with drooling groups like H.E.A.T. circling outside the DC offices with torches and pitchforks, protesting that they want their precious Hal Jordan put back into the role of Green Lantern.

I guess the best way to put it would be I love comics - I just hate the narrow-minded fanboys.
    Post edited by Techparadox on
  • edited July 2010
    Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is an example of an underwear pervert comic that will totally rock your socks. It has a dadaist supervillain organization.

All-Star Batman and Robin is an example of what happens when underwear perversion goes horribly, horribly wrong.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • All-Star Batman and Robin is an example of what happens when underwear perversion goes horribly, horribly wrong.
    Or horribly, horribly right. It's terrible, but so lolsy.
  • All-Star Batman and Robin is an example of what happens when underwear perversion goes horribly, horribly wrong.
    It wasn't intended to be lulzy, though, which is what made it so fucking horrible.
  • It's hard to tell with Frank Miller sometimes.
    It wasn't intended to be lulzy, though, which is what made it so fucking horrible.
    Sin City cannot be serious...can it??
  • edited August 2010
    Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol is an example of an underwear pervert comic that will totally rock your socks. It has adadaist supervillain organization.
    Also, the Marvel Zombies Run which was the latest printed, featuring Machine Man and Howard the Duck is pretty excellent.
    It's hard to tell with Frank Miller sometimes.
    I had a hard time beliving it was Frank miller, there was a distinct lack of whores.

Also, if you want an example of how superhero comics can go really, really wrong, simply read just about anything by Rob "Pouches, lots of pouches" Liefeld.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Also, if you want an example of how superhero comics can go really, really wrong, simply read just about anything by Rob "Pouches, lots of pouches" Liefeld.
    To be completely fair, Liefeld's stuff was about the awesomest stuff I could've imagined when I was 11.
    All-Star Batman and Robin is an example of what happens when underwear perversion goes horribly, horribly wrong.
    I didn't read all of it, but what I read was hilarious. I think FM was just trolling.
  • Yeah, I like ASB&R. The problem is that I don't think it will ever actually finish. I've got one trade, and I doubt we'll ever see another.
  • Yeah, I like ASB&R.; The problem is that I don't think it will ever actually finish. I've got one trade, and I doubt we'll ever see another.
    For some reason, I pronouced that abbreviation in my head much like someone slurring ass-bear, which made me giggle like a schoolgirl, so I'll call it that from now on.
    The Walking Dead:"We hope to do for zombies what Mad Men has done for advertising."
    I did enjoy walking dead, but it's not really stuck with me that much, kind of a one-read-done-see-you-later kinda deal.
  • I did enjoy walking dead, but it's not really stuck with me that much, kind of a one-read-done-see-you-later kinda deal.
    I didn't read it, but I respect the quality of AMC's original productions.
  • Yeah, I like ASB&R.; The problem is that I don't think it will ever actually finish. I've got one trade, and I doubt we'll ever see another.
    It's finishing under a different title. First trade breaks next February. I'll probably grab the trades used; it's like the Monster-a-Go-Go of comics.
  • It's finishing under a different title. First trade breaks next February. I'll probably grab the trades used; it's like the Monster-a-Go-Go of comics.
    What's the different title?
  • It's finishing under a different title. First trade breaks next February. I'll probably grab the trades used; it's like the Monster-a-Go-Go of comics.
    What's the different title?
    "Dark Knight: Boy Wonder." The first issue comes in February, but its only six issues away from being completed, so you can expect the trade soon.
  • What are people's thought's on Women in Refrigerators?
  • What are people's thought's onWomen in Refrigerators?
    Very few of those are legitimate complaints, and all of them are mentioned completely out of context - For example, on the respondents page, One of the writers who was actually responsible for one of the events(the De-powering of Captain Marvel) Noted that it was something they did because Captain Marvel was goddamn near omnipotent, but she still lost every single fucking fight.
    While the editor noted that he was trying to depower the character so that it wasn't a case of her being so insanely incompetent that not even with near-omnipotence could she win a trick, but a different status quo so that they could actually write her winning again, and looking like a competent hero.
    It didn't go so well in the end, but that's life, not everything works out with your audience all the time.

And they complain about Zatanna having her powers severely limited - the only problem was, previously, that her power was absolutely limitless, as long as she could say what she wanted to happen backwards. No problems, no consequences, and if anything goes wrong, just magic it back into perfection again. You know what that makes? A really boring story, and a terrible comic. So, what, it's offensive to limit the power of a character whose power previously had no restraints for the benefit of, y'know, actually being able to continue the story without the obvious solution just being either "Zatanna snaps her fingers, all is better" or "Zatanna is conspicuously absent for a contrived reason", just because she's female? Get outta here.

Hm. I need to look at this a little more closely. But so far, the whole thing stinks of "Misogyny-is-a-capital-crime-but-Misandry-is-perfectly-harmless-if-you've-even-heard-of-it" situation.