This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Is it Possible to play TableTop strategy games over the internet?

edited March 2007 in Board Games
I have been listening to your show for a few months now and decided to check out Table Top strategy games like the one you guys play.
Now i am hooked.
Only problem is if I want to play with people that are on my level or actually interested in the game i have to drive over 80 miles to find the nearest players.
Which really bites and is kind of hard to do considering i am a money strapped college student.

So here is what i was wondering:
1) Do you think it would be viable to setup (i.e. scan in the board and manual as well as photograph the game pieces) and then figure out an altered set of rules so instead of being played over a couple hours it probably be done over a few days?

2) Would any one be interested in doing this and helping setup?

3) What games would we play?

thanks for the input

Comments

• Some games have dedicated programs just for online play. Magic Realm is one of them.
  • You can't put tabletop games on the internet! The table would roll off the tubes.
  • They're doing some of them on the 360 as well, I think
  • Why, oh why, couldn't someone release a pc version of Fortress America? As far as I'm concerned, it's the best American board game. Trying to get a game of FA up is one of the hardest things to do in southeast Alabama. Not to mention expensive if you don't already have a copy...
  • Why, oh why, couldn't someone release a pc version of Fortress America? As far as I'm concerned, it's the best American board game. Trying to get a game of FA up is one of the hardest things to do in southeast Alabama. Not to mention expensive if you don't already have a copy...
    I played that once. I didn't like it very much.
  • edited April 2007
    It's a beer and pretzels game. Since I quit drinking(six months as of this past Friday, the 27th), it would be a RedBull and pretzels game... I'm just outside Ft. Rucker, and have been around G.I.'s all my life. The old comic/gaming shop, The Shire, was a big hang out for them back when I was in the 8th grade(YEARS ago), so I started playing I.C.E. and AD&D and board and card games with them starting on Fridays after school all the way through until Sunday afternoon almost every weekend. It's also where I got introduced to anime(beyond the Transformers, Robotech, and Pole Position(Speed Racer was aired under that title in Germany when I was little) of my youngest days). The Shire was actually owned and operated by two guys from my dad's unit, so as long as I didn't act like a little shit, they were cool with me hanging out up there and helping out around the place, and my parents didn't care that I spent so much time up there without their supervision since both of the owners knew my folks. It was in this old almost deserted "mall" here in town, and the owners had keys made for us to be able to get into the mall any time we wanted since they were almost always open. Only other things that were open in the mall were this little Asian importer crap place, a REALLY nice Mexican restaurant, and a couple clothing stores for old bitties. When the restaurant was getting ready to close for the night, they would come over and ask us what we wanted, and they would give us what we wanted for half price, and they gave us almost twice the regular portions. Mainly because they had to do something with all the extra food they had prepped... But that was where I first played FA, and we played the hell out of that game. There was this other game we played, used cards, and it had several different independent modules. There was air battle, and naval battle, and when playing those two together, it was like carrier combat, REALLY awesome.
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • I've had a lot of fun playing Diplomacy and Pax Britanica by email, if that counts.