This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

MAGFEST IX 2011

edited August 2010 in Conventions
WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Didn't see this open yet but thought to start a MAGfest thread since Rym and Scott declared to go to it. I am attending as well as some pals of mine. Can't tell you who, but if you are familiar with TGWTG, you might recognize a few of them.

So share your plans, thoughts and other Festival related discussions

Comments

• I've been looking at MAGfest for a few years now since jumping back into conventions, and while I haven't been able to go myself, I have never heard a bad thing about it and would encourage others to go.
  • We had heard about MAGfest, and we were very intrigued by the awesome commercial they made last year. I think it was even a thing of the day. At PAX MAGfest approached us, told us they loved us, confirmed without a doubt that they were "our people," and they asked us to come. It's not even that big a convention, just a few thousand, but how could we say no?
  • Last year the only thing that kept me from going was that it was held on New Year's weekend. If I can afford it, I would totally go this year.
  • Last year the only thing that kept me from going was that it was held on New Year's weekend. If I can afford it, I would totally go this year.
    That's also the only thing that kept me from going last year.
  • edited August 2010
    Magfest and Marscon are on the same weekend! Fuck!

Edit: I can get there on Metro and spend the first two day there and the last two days at Marscon! I WILL DO THIS! Sanity shall take a back seat!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Magfest and Marscon are on the same weekend! Fuck!
    Marscon looks like a scary sci-fi con. I doubt it has balls of steel.
  • Magfest and Marscon are on the same weekend! Fuck!
    Marscon looks like a scary sci-fi con. I doubt it has balls of steel.
    Oh ho. One thing to know about sci fi geeks are that they are the folks that party the hardest. Also, sci fi is awesome.
  • Oh ho. One thing to know about sci fi geeks are that they are the folks that party the hardest. Also, sci fi is awesome.
    And now you have my attention. :D
  • Oh ho. One thing to know about sci fi geeks are that they are thefolks that party the hardest. Also, sci fi is awesome.
    And now you have my attention. :D
    Most of the action at SF cons happens in the room parties at night after the panels close down.
  • Most of the action at SF cons happens in the room parties at night after the panels close down.
    So why even go to the con?
  • So why even go to the con?
    Just go to the city where the con is. Con's the magnet for people, but is itself unnecessary. Many cons are this way. Look at ScoJo's friends at, say, Katsucon. ;^)
  • Look at ScoJo's friends at, say, Katsucon. ;^)
    They even go to Otakon for that.
  • Most of the action at SF cons happens in the room parties at night after the panels close down.
    So why even go to the con?
    Sometimes we don't. Only go to the con if there is stuff going on there that you want to do, like panels or entertainment. Usually the stuff going on is worth the price of entry, but not always. There was one year at Trinoc*con where we showed up, looked around the hotel, walked into reg, decided it wasn't worth the price ($30), and left. Then we went to a party that night at Mur's house. (It was a local con.)

I would never pay to get into a con if they didn't have enough stuff I wanted to go to that it was worth it.
  • Well you should know that the festival is open for 24 hours, therefore it never closes, thus your point on doing things after the con is over is mute.
  • Well you should know that the festival is open for 24 hours, therefore it never closes, thus your point on doing things after the con is over is mute.
    MAGfest is 24/7? OH FUCK YES!
    Hm. Hmmmmm. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I am now interested.
  • FRC should go in style. We'll rock that fucking con in the way we used to rock cons like Otakon. Big Fire style.
  • your point ... is mute.
  • After careful deliberation, I AM GOING! Besides, I never been to a gaming con and there's other sci fi cons around here the rest of the year.
  • Well you should know that the festival is open for 24 hours
    Pre-registration is only 40$ for 96 hours of gaming... That's 2.4 hours of gaming for 1$. That's pretty bad ass.

A 4 person room is 100$ a night inducing parking.

Super Supporter is cool. Free food is nice, but I'm not sure I'd eat the 120$ difference. But if they feed you 12 meals, that's only 10$ a meal.

They weight the hours that you work and feed the staff too. That's a plus.

We should look into doing the group rate.
  • edited August 2010
    Group rate with the FRC would be a good idea, also super supporter was not worth it. I missed half the meals they gave out but was able to use my two day passes for friends that only could be there for the day. If it was not for that I would have felt cheated.

I would recommend the $40 unless you like swag. I got: T-shirt, shot glass, tote bag, insulated bag, bumper sticker, sticker, and a coin which I used in the vendor section as cash (they use these for prizes in tournaments to avoid gambling issues). If that appeals to you get the $80 one.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Big Fire style.
    Well, big fire parties also had anime celebrities signing fans breasts while creepy guys took pictures... SOOOOooooooOOO hopefully we don't have that style of party :-p
  • Shit yo, this is in my proverbial back yard.
  • For those who are curious there will be over 16 people from TGWTG coming up and rocking out. I am hoping to hear back from Brendon and company about helping getting some more down and making it a really really big party.
  • For those who are curious there will be over 16 people from TGWTG coming up and rocking out. I am hoping to hear back from Brendon and company about helping getting some more down and making it a really really big party.
    You just solidified my plans.
  • TGWTG
    I had to look that acronym up. Upon finding what it stood for, I still had to then look that up.
  • I had to look that acronym up. Upon finding what it stood for, I still had to then lookthatup.
    I looked it up and then realized that I knew who it was, but never put the two together.
  • I had to look that acronym up. Upon finding what it stood for, I still had to then lookthatup.
    I looked it up and then realized that I knew who it was, but never put the two together.
    I looked it up, and I still don't know. I also never remember seeing him with AVGN, even though Wikipedia says otherwise.
  • I looked it up, and I still don't know. I also never remember seeing him with AVGN, even though Wikipedia says otherwise.
    I remember a friend linked me to him on his review of Batman & Robin. It was funny, but not enough for me to subscribe to his feeds or anything.

As for Magfest, you east coast people suck.
  • As for Magfest, you east coast people suck.
    We chose the Best Coast for a reason. ^_~