This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

cosplay costumes

edited August 2010 in Anime
I'm looking for a good vocaloid Miku costume for an 11 yr old. Right now I'm looking at about $200 via ebay for the outfit and wig with about a 3 week turnaround with fitting and shipping.

Is there a good source either online or in the NYC area for cosplay stuff?

Comments

• You're supposed to make one. The ones that are for sale are either made by other fans, or they are commercial products from Japan. Thus, buying one will always be a ton of money, and good luck having it fit properly.
  • We already have a couple cosplay threads, actually. Keep posting in this one if you'd like, but you could search those up as well.
  • I don't expect an 11 yr old with zero crafting skillz to make her own costume, especially one who notices the smallest of color variations. I tried taking her around to different clothing stores and thrift marts to find materials but nothing was ever good enough. $200 is a small price to pay for sanity.

Auction is for a costume made in Japan. They do alter it before shipping to fit your measurements. We are planning on getting it a few cm larger and having it altered by a local seamstress after it arrives.

What about a cosplay accessories store in NYC?
  • It's not that hard of a costume to make. And, really, the most important part of it is the long green wig and a Leek.
  • and a Leek.
    The leek is not related to Miku, fuck you.
    I don't expect an 11 yr old with zero crafting skills to make her own costume, especially one who notices the smallest of color variations.
    Then you're wrong. She can learn how to craft clothing if she wants to cosplay.
  • The leek is not related to Miku, fuck you.
    Sorry, but it is now. Ever since the video of her spinning the leek was made, she has appeared with it everywhere. Almost every appearance of Miku, even commercial appearances, have her with a leek, or leeks. She has them in her PSP game, and also had them when appearing in "concert."
  • Then you're wrong. She can learn how to craft clothing if she wants to cosplay.
    Sorry, but also wrong. There's nothing bad about wearing a pre-made costume. In fact, it's probably the perfect gateway drug. Next time, she may decide it would have looked better if X was different, and change it. After that, she has an idea for a different costume, and starts planning it. A few years later, she's at Otakon sewing diligently in the hotel room before the masquerade.
  • Sorry, but also wrong. There's nothing bad about wearing a pre-made costume. In fact, it's probably the perfect gateway drug. Next time, she may decide it would have looked better if X was different, and change it. After that, she has an idea for a different costume, and starts planning it. A few years later, she's at Otakon sewing diligently in the hotel room before the masquerade.
    Well, I think it will go more something like this.

I want to buy one. Oh, there isn't one to buy because everyone makes them. Guess I'll make one, or give up.
    edited August 2010
    There's nothing bad about wearing a pre-made costume.
    I said no such thing about a pre-made costume being bad. Just that The Tick's expectations are wrong. Heck, if it's not just colour blindness on his side, then she'll make awesome costumes in no time.
    Sorry, but it is now. Ever since the video of her spinning the leek was made, she has appeared with it everywhere. Almost every appearance of Miku, even commercial appearances, have her with a leek, or leeks. She has them in her PSP game, and also had them when appearing in "concert."
    >joke

>Apreche's head
    Stay out of stuff you don't understand please.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Alternatively, you can always find a friend or relative who is good at sewing and sort of half-commission them. I know that doesn't really make sense the way I phrased it but... Personally, I'm usually the one making costumes for people. My preference is to have the person I'm making the costume for in the room and to show them what I'm doing and how I'm doing it, and to slowly train them to make things themselves. I did this with Li in a similar fashion; I did all the patterning for his costumes and let him do the actual sewing and smaller parts himself.
  • edited August 2010
    >joke

>Apreche's head
    Dude, your jokes are not really jokes by any conventional definition. I can never tell when you are making a joke. You say some weird random comment that you apparently do not actually mean and then you say it is joke.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Try the bodyline site. It's about $80 with shipping and you can probably adjust it to her size. It's not perfect but it's a great start.
  • >joke

>Apreche's head
    Dude, your jokes are not really jokes by any conventional definition. I can never tell when you are making a joke. You say some weird random comment that you apparently do not actually mean and then you say it is joke.
    QFT
  • You all should become zookeepers or something because you keep on feeding him which only continues to whet his appetite for attention. Just don't say anything and let it slide.
  • Dude, your jokes are not really jokes by any conventional definition. I can never tell when you are making a joke. You say some weird random comment that you apparently do not actually mean and then you say it is joke.
    Not every joke has to be understood by everyone for fuck's sake. I've already been on these forums for almost 3 years now, you should get that by now. Sue me for thinking to highly of people that Sonic would be able to catch onto a mockwar about leeks and spring onions. Would the family P. Pooper get their shit out of here please?
    You all should become zookeepers or something because you keep on feeding him which only continues to whet his appetite for attention. Just don't say anything and let it slide.
    Shoot yourself. You're not Andrew.
  • Hey guys, you smell that? It's the smell of someone backed into a corner and clawing desperately for any chance to sound intelligent.
  • I continue to be happy seeing people get just as angry at each other when you all have similar beliefs. Makes me realize you guys aren't mean to Christians, you're just mean. ^_^
    edited August 2010
    for any chance to sound intelligent.
    >implying there is any reason to post intelligently
    I'm sounding pissed off, but I can understand that you fail to get that too.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I continue to be happy seeing people get just as angry at each other when you all have similar beliefs. Makes me realize you guys aren't mean to Christians, you're just mean. ^_^
    .....really? Really?
  • edited August 2010
    I continue to be happy seeing people get just as angry at each other when you all have similar beliefs. Makes me realize you guys aren't mean to Christians, you're just mean. ^_^
    Have you considered that if you want to stop being headbutted by the billygoat, maybe you should stop pulling it's beard for laughs? I mean, sure, sometimes it will just go for you without really much provocation, but that doesn't mean it's a wise idea to keep hassling it when it's not charging at you, rather than just leaving well enough alone.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited August 2010
    I think people are just prejudiced because it's Univers. When Rym, Scott or other forum member goes anal with a detail or snippet, it's funny and nerdy and all is good. Univers just made the joke that it's actually a spring onion, even though it's called "LeekSpin". If you want to call him an asshole or troll, please do with all other forum members that nitpick on data and factoids.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I love how the second Nine posts in a thread, it becomes about how much he sucks. Pretty soon there's going to be three levels: The actual conversation, the bitching about Nineless, and the people bitching about people bitching about Nineless. (yes, I do notice the irony here).

Tick: I've heard good things about MoonCostumes, but they're pretty expensive. This one might work if she can get into a Woman's X-Small, and it's "only" 110 on sale.
  • The smiley face meant I was kind of kidding. I was just glad to see that you guys aren't only extremely intense towards Christians, you point out the flaws you find in everyone. I always felt the huge arguments on the forums were caused by me, but I see that they happen anyway. The point is, I'm glad that I never caused you guys to get that angry, you all just really like criticizing people, or something. Because you all do it a lot.
  • It's not about criticizing people, you narcissist. The forum is a gauntlet of ideas. If you put forward a faulty idea, like Christianity, or bad science, an unfounded opinion, extremism, a lack of technical knowledge, misinterpretation of data, your mom, or making fun of William Shatner, expect to be told why your idea is faulty. Also, grow a pair.
  • making fun of William Shatner
    it's really a bad idea to do that anywhere, unless you want Alan Shore to sue your ass for everything you have (and will proceed to have sexual relations with your mother).
  • Alan Shore
    Hello, big people. Sorry to intrude, but you seem rather strapping. Here's three hundred dollars. Would you be so kind as to go hit that man down there?
  • But see, Nine didn't put forward a faulty idea. He simply makes some rude comments, and people start long arguments about it (and then people like Neito and I start (or try to start) long arguments about the arguments). And I'm not a narcissist, because my post was me pointing out that I'm not the cause of everyone's anger. A narcissist wouldn't admit that anyone but them causes huge arguments on the forums, but I'm saying whether I'm here or not, people create a huge uproar about the first thing they disagree with. It's not wrong, it just makes me happy that I never caused anyone to get as angry as I thought I did when I thought about leaving the forums, that's just what you guys do when you have opinions.
  • He simply makes some rude comment
    Don't reply to them. It's just text on a screen. Nobody is making you read it. Nobody is making you reply to it. Just ignore it. You have this power. Or maybe you don't have free will? Perhaps you are not in control of your own actions?
  • He simply makes some rude comment
    Don't reply to them. It's just text on a screen. Nobody is making you read it. Nobody is making you reply to it. Just ignore it. You have this power. Or maybe you don't have free will? Perhaps you are not in control of your own actions?
    I didn't respond to him this time, I made some other comment relatively unrelated to what he said. I guess this is meant for other people, then.
  • I didn't respond to him this time, I made some other comment relatively unrelated to what he said. I guess this is meant for other people, then.
    The comment that I quoted was a reply. It might not be a direct reply, but it's a post which acknowledges both the existence of the troll and the existence of his post. You literally have to post as if the troll and his postings do not exist. Don't mention him or his posts, or refer to him or his posts in any way at all. None. Zero. If you're not doing that, you're not actually ignoring. Also, if other people fail to ignore, you must ignore their non-ignoring posts as well.

Oh, and when non-trolling posts are made, feel free to acknowledge them.