This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Study: No amount of smoking is safe

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
If the extremely large decrease in rates of heart and lung disease among smokers and non-smokers in NYC after the ban of smoking in restaurants and such wasn't enough to convince you that all smoking is poison, check this new study.
http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessation/news/20100820/even-low-tobacco-smoke-exposure-is-risky

Comments

• You added an extra quote mark to the end of the link.

Also of note: Life is bad for you.
  • Also of note: Life is bad for you.
    I read in a study that 100% of people born die!! It's true! Living is bad for you!
  • I read in a study that 100% of people born die!! It's true! Living is bad for you!
  • It's true, life is bad for you.

You should take up smoking to decrease your harmful exposure to life.
  • Don't take life seriously, no one gets out alive anyway.
  • If the extremely large decrease in rates of heart and lung disease among smokers and non-smokers in NYC after the ban of smoking in restaurants and such wasn't enough to convince you that all smoking is poison, check this new study.
    Scott, do you have some kind of a vendetta against smokers? You seem to find and post these sorts of links a lot. You live in NY, no one smokes there, let it go dude.
  • edited August 2010
    Damn. Another vice that needs to be replaced by some other potentially horrible thing.
    If the extremely large decrease in rates of heart and lung disease among smokers and non-smokers in NYC after the ban of smoking in restaurants and such wasn't enough to convince you that all smoking is poison, check this new study.
    Scott, do you have some kind of a vendetta against smokers? You seem to find and post these sorts of links a lot. You live in NY, no one smokes there, let it go dude.
    I feel as though its not just smoking, but a vendetta against anything that might lessen his life span at all.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I find it silly that people do these studies, smoking is obviously harmful, we've known this for at least a decade or two now. It's been shoved down my throat since I was little. Of course no amount of smoking is safe, I find it unnecessary to report on this.
    I have nothing against smokers, so long as they don't bother me with smoke.
  • Scott, do you have some kind of a vendetta against smokers? You seem to find and post these sorts of links a lot. You live in NY, no one smokes there, let it go dude.
    He certainly does. I think he got touched in a bad place by a cigarette once.
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    He certainly does. I think he got touched in a bad place by a cigarette once.
    The lungs? :P
    Post edited by Geo on
  • You live in NY, no one smokes there, let it go dude.
    It is true that far less people smoke here than other places. Yet, even with that low smoking rate, I still pass through poison gas clouds daily, mostly on busy sidewalks and near building entrances.
  • Obviously, the answer to this is social pressure. Walk past them every day, holding the top of your shirt or a bandanna over your mouth and nose like they're a plague victim.
  • Obviously, the answer to this is social pressure. Walk past them every day, holding the top of your shirt or a bandanna over your mouth and nose like they're a plague victim.
    They don't care.
    They don't care.
    What about dropping sulfur sticks in front of them to demonstrate your distaste and hatred of smoking?
  • What about dropping sulfur sticks in front of them to demonstrate your distaste and hatred of smoking?
    They wouldn't get it. It would make me smell bad. Also, I have to set the sticks on fire, which would make quite a scene and trouble. Walking through poison gas cloud is bad enough. Having to waste any amount of time dealing with bullshit is even worse.
  • Obviously, the answer to this is behaving like a childish asshole.. Walk past them every day, holding the top of your shirt or a bandanna over your mouth and nose like they're a plague victim.
    Though to be fair, I'd just think you were just some wierdo, and ignore you.

See, I try to keep away from building entrances, I try to keep off the sidewalk within reason - ie, if it's an empty street at 2AM, I'm not going to bother, but when there's a bunch of other people around, fair enough - And I throw my tab ends in the trash. I generally go out of my way to make my habit as inoffensive to others as possible, as while I've every right to do it to myself, I've little right to inflict my own bad habits on others.

However, that means that people who want to try and give me shit about it have to go out of their way to do so, and therefore, make themselves a ripe target for being fucked with. If you're going to act a fool, no matter what you do, I'm going to simply escalate my response accordingly.

Drop a Sulphur stick in front of me? I'm going to pick it up, put it out, and then ditch it back in your pocket or crush it into your bag, for an example. Try and spray me with an odorant, like Scott's stupid "Spray them with skunk spray" idea, and I'll spray you with Ethanethiol, the stuff they use to "flavor" LPG gas, and is the most foul smelling substance in the world - If I don't just Mace you(where legal) or simply take you to the floor and restrain you for the cops, because I don't know what you just sprayed me with. Could be anything. Could be perfume, could be deadly poison. Either way, I'm going out of my way to make life suck for you for fucking with me.

Simply put - Go out of your way to be a fuckwit when I'm already going out of my way to keep my habit to myself, then I'm going to go above and beyond to fuck with you, and I guarantee that the threshold of anyone who is enough of a whiny little control freak to fuck with me in those circumstances, because I'm doing something they don't like, will break long before I run out of creative ideas.
    Scott, do you have some kind of a vendetta against smokers?
    Eh, Scott Feels strongly about some things. It's not like these little hysterical flaps are uncommon, and the only reason it annoys me is that it combines the Hysterical flap(amusing) with Scott assuming that anyone who doesn't either agree with him 100% or do what he does is stupid or somehow otherwise deficient, which is incredibly annoying.
  • Scott, do you have some kind of a vendetta against smokers?
    Eh, Scott Feels strongly about some things. It's not like these little hysterical flaps are uncommon, and the only reason it annoys me is that it combines the Hysterical flap(amusing) with Scott assuming that anyone who doesn't either agree with him 100% or do what he does is stupid or somehow otherwise deficient, which is incredibly annoying.
    On top of that, posting something so amazingly groundbreaking as the fact that smoking causes harm to you (because somehow we all thought that the toxic properties of smoke goes away in small quantities; oh the fools we were) does little to enhance any discussion. I mean really, that's just a really lame study/article and if you needed scientists to tell you what they concluded then you've got bigger problems than the smokers on the sidewalk.
  • On top of that, posting something so amazingly groundbreaking as the fact that smoking causes harm to you (because somehow we all thought that the toxic properties of smoke goes away in small quantities; oh the fools we were) does little to enhance any discussion. I mean really, that's just a really lame study/article and if you needed scientists to tell you what they concluded then you've got bigger problems than the smokers on the sidewalk.
    Yeah, it is a bit of a "No shit, Sherlock" post.
  • Evel Knievel died of cancer.
  • No, Evel Died of a combination of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, Diabetes, and Hepatitis C (which was also the likely cause of his idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis). Technically, he died most directly of Respiratory difficulties due to his advanced idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, reporting trouble breathing at his home, and died before the ambulance arrived.
  • Smoking cuts elderly cost and elderly.
    I heard about this industry study on Planet money (a EXCELLENT podcast by NPR on economics). Facing a high tax on smoking in the Cech Republic a tabacco company commissioned a study to show that it actually saves money because people die earlier and don't live as long... (usually cutting the unproductive period of life)........ needless to say hilarity ensued.

Death saves you money - Planet money
  • Smoking cuts elderly cost and elderly.
    I heard about this industry study on Planet money (a EXCELLENT podcast by NPR on economics). Facing a high tax on smoking in the Cech Republic a tabacco company commissioned a study to show that it actually saves money because people die earlier and don't live as long... (usually cutting the unproductive period of life)........ needless to say hilarity ensued.

Death saves you money - Planet money
    Some how the movie Logan's Run is coming back to me!

Carousel!
  • At this point, smokers know smoking is bad for you. We know that drinking is bad for you, and many of us do it anyway. It's a lifestyle choice; the key is making sure it has as little negative impact on other unwilling participants as possible. It's not smokers who are the problem. It's rude smokers who get their shit in my air who I have a problem with.

No scientific study that shows health risks is going to stop someone from being a dick. If they're reasonable and just oblivious, politely asking them to step downwind should do the trick. If not, then you treat them the way you would treat someone who is being a dick. I don't visit with people who smoke in their houses, and I don't ride with people who smoke in their cars without a mask of some kind. (I am allergic to it AND asthmatic, so no, it's not being a childish asshole.) Make your choices and quit bitching about smokers killing themselves... it's not the smokers who are the problem; it's the assholes who happen to also be smokers.
  • At this point, smokers know smoking is bad for you. We know that drinking is bad for you, and many of us do it anyway. It's a lifestyle choice; the key is making sure it has as little negative impact on other unwilling participants as possible. It's not smokers who are the problem. It's rude smokers who get their shit in my air who I have a problem with.
    This is the key difference. If someone is biking without a helmet, that's their prerogative. Their lack of a helmet is only putting themselves at additional risk. I don't even wear the helmet all the time, depending on where I'm going. Not having brakes however, that shit is not cool. Not because it puts them at additional risk, but because it puts others in danger. if I were in charge, I would make a $1000 fine, plus impounding the bicycle for not having brakes that work.

Drugs are the same. If you want to poison yourself and only yourself, and perhaps others who explicitly consent, then that's totally cool with me. But to poison someone else, without consent, fuck you.
  • edited August 2010
    Drugs are the same. If you want to poison yourself and only yourself, and perhaps others who explicitly consent, then that's totally cool with me. But to poison someone else, without consent, fuck you.
    Scott, You live in Manhattan. If you were seriously concerned about poison air, and not just being whiny about something you don't like, then you'd move the fuck outta Manhattan. The damage you're doing from inhaling the exhaust of thousands of vehicles every day is vastly more than the few smokers you walk past per day. If you were actually as serious as you were making out about that you're being poisoned without your consent, you'd be calling up Rym's old estate agent about houses on the mountain.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Average life expectancy is much higher in cities than in the boonies.
  • Average life expectancy is much higher in cities than in the boonies.
    Money and clean living solves that on the personal level, though obviously it can't fix the average. Also, one notes that you don't drink, smoke, drink soda, eat at least semi-sensibly and exercise regularly - in the USA, you're already pretty abnormal. Keep up your lifestyle, maybe increase the exercise a little, cut out all fast food, and you'll very likely beat the average by a good margin, especially outside Manhattan, out in the boonies. You could also move to Australia in the future - Cleaner air, more wide open space, massive and well paid tech sector - I can think of jobs that require half your expertise and pay half again what you make - and of course, living out in the boonies doesn't preclude you from top-notch medical care, since we're used to dealing with the large distances involved. On top of that, a laid back, less stress attitude, and you're winning.

There are downsides, admittedly - Currently below-average internet, for example - but those will hopefully be fixed by the time you'd be in a position to realistically do it.
  • And in the end, there's always a good chance you'll be hit by a car and all that healthy living was for naught.

So, enjoy life. Live a little.
  • So, enjoy life. Live a little.
    I never see anyone smoking who appears to be enjoying it. I prefer alcohol and the like.
  • I prefer alcohol and the like.
    What is "the like", exactly?