This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Steve Holt!
  • Started watching True Blood yesterday and enjoying it very much. The Rolling Stone cover was pretty much the straw on the camels back for me to start watching.
  • It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. So fucking good.
  • It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia. So fucking good.
    If you watch this on Comedy Central, you know they're already taking the Supreme Court's ruling on the FCC to heart. "Shit" gets regular prime time play.
  • If you watch this on Comedy Central, you know they're already taking the Supreme Court's ruling on the FCC to heart. "Shit" gets regular prime time play.
    I noticed. I just went ahead and downloaded it, though. Makes it easier to schedule some downtime.
  • Sherlock.
    Sherlock has been excellent so far and very Sherlock Holmesy (A Study in Pink was VERY A Study in Scarlet). I really like what they do with the texting and deduction. Bit bummed at how easy Mycroft was to spot though. Waiting excitedly for the fourth episode.
  • Sherlock.
    Need to get me some of that.
  • Sherlock.
    No shit.
  • Sherlock.
    No shit.
  • I'm watching Mad Men for the first time after so many people recommended I see it. Needless to say, I'm hooked and I really like it.
  • Sherlock.
    No shit.
    Kate and I watched all 3 episodes. Awesome, and WAY better than that movie that came out.
  • edited August 2010
    I am watching Futurama, Sherlock, Moyashimon, and Hataraki Man.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Moyashimon, and Hataraki Man.
    The drama series? Are they watchable?
  • Moyashimon, and Hataraki Man.
    The drama series? Are they watchable?
    Yes they are, though Moyashimon is very different from the manga (I haven't watch the anime yet).
  • Alright, now that I have also finished the second and third seasons of Arrested Development, I take back what I previously said. Those seasons were much funnier and better developed than the first season was, and the whole thing turned out to be amazing.
  • Alright, now that I have also finished the second and third seasons of Arrested Development, I take back what I previously said. Those seasons were much funnier and better developed than the first season was, and the whole thing turned out to be amazing.
    What did you finally realize it's a very very obvious take on the Bush family?
  • As though GOB wasn't a big enough hint.
  • Yeah, didn't see that at all. I see very little in the way of comparisons between the two. I saw it the same way I see most comedies that are made nowadays: Group of stupid people doing stupid things that no one would ever do because they are stupid. The only thing this show did that made it enjoyable was that there were at least a couple characters that were above that, but the funny came from the constant twisting and the sheer number of callbacks to earlier events.
  • Yeah, didn't see that at all. I see very little in the way of comparisons between the two. I saw it the same way I see most comedies that are made nowadays: Group of stupid people doing stupid things that no one would ever do because they are stupid. The only thing this show did that made it enjoyable was that there were at least a couple characters that were above that, but the funny came from the constant twisting and the sheer number of callbacks to earlier events.
    Most of the show is awkward humor done with a straight face. The callbacks are nice to establish continuity, but it's the incredibly awkward characters that really make the show what it is.

I mean, the world's first Analrapist? Come on, that's comedy gold.
  • Phineas and Ferb is the best show that the Disney Channel has created since Kim Possible.
    I can't stand the character designs, though. It's kind of like Grimm and Mandy in that regard. I don't mind the idea of the show but those ugly heads make me want to stop watching. Also, it's way too hyper. Were kids cartoons always this hyper? It feels like it is on fast forward all the time.
  • Were kids cartoons always this hyper?
    I'm not sure that they were always so hyper per se, but they were at least similarly cracked-out. Ren and Stimpy remains my go-to example of just how fucked up our childhood cartoons were.
  • The callbacks are nice to establish continuity, but it's the incredibly awkward characters that really make the show what it is.
    The characters are pure id. The conceit of the show is that being rich has stripped away the characters' egos and super-egos that keep most of us in check.
  • Did anyone see the most recent episode of True Blood where Russell ends with, "Now time for the weather. Tiffany?"
    Just caught up with the series. Yes, that part was fucking hilarious.

I'm really enjoying all the guy on guy stuff. My inner fujoshi is quite pleased.
  • I don't think anyone's mentioned it, but I just re-watched the first season of Slings and Arrows. It's a canadian comedy about the New Burbage Shakespeare Festival. If you have a brain and don't like the standard drivel on the boob tube, it's well worth watching. Like most good things, it was short lived.
  • Chilly Beach is another great Canadian comedy.
  • Speaking as a Canadian ex-patriot, I really love Corner Gas. However, if you haven't lived in Canada for a while, you won't really get it. Alternatively, if you grew up in a small town, you will get it.
  • Did anyone watch The Emmys? It was a phenomenal show and so many deserving winners in the selection. A few sad calls and some shows didn't get recognition, but it was still a fantastic show.
  • Did anyone watch The Emmys? It was a phenomenal show and so many deserving winners in the selection. A few sad calls and some shows didn't get recognition, but it was still a fantastic show.
    I saw the opening on the interwebs it was actually pretty funny.
  • My friend and I have been watching Skins in the last couple weeks. As messed up as it is, I find it quite entertaining.
    A thousand times this. What season are you on? I always thought it was funny seeing Dev Patel go from Skins to Slumdog.
    Halfway through season 2. Been watching it on Netflix streaming. I still haven't seen Slumdog yet, but it would be weird seeing Dev Patel play an actual serious character (which I just assume based on what I've heard of the movie).
    Oh God I love that show. I'm on the newest season and I'm watching each episode sparingly because I know there aren't a lot of them. God why can't shows about high school/college be like this in America? Fuck you Degrassi, Secret Life. etc, I'm sorry I'm not a 14 year old girl. I shivered when I found out there was going to be an American Version because I know they are going to mess it up.