This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In praise of nVidia's GeForce 3D Vision.

edited August 2010 in Video Games
It's only been a few months since I got back into gaming. My kids and I were at a Game Stop and I picked up Dragon Age Origins for the PS3. What a terrific game! In any event, as part of a recent computer build, I bought the 3D Vision kit figuring that since I like 3D movies, I would like 3D games. For some games, like Dragon Age (which I re-bought on Steam), it is unbelievable. The immersion effect is like nothing I've ever experienced. For others, like StarCraft II, it's actually better to play without it. The Witcher is another game that looks beautiful with the glasses. You get real ambiance when you see a torch on the wall burning with depth and looking very much like a real torch. Also, castles with vaulted ceilings and large expanses really pop. It takes optical brain trickery to a new level.

Has anyone else tried it?

Comments

• I tried a demo at PAX East. It's neat, but it's not worth the high price until we have some games that really take advantage of it. I think the 3DS games will do a lot more in that department. I hope to have some 3DS demo time at PAX West.
  • Has anyone else tried it?
    I have not, but I expect that I will invest in supporting this sort of thing when I purchase my next gaming PC.
  • edited August 2010
    I am not a fan of 3D. It strains my eyes and starts to bother me after a while. I usually end up walking out of the theater blinking a lot.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I am not a fan of 3D. It strains my eyes and starts to bother me after a while. I usually end up walking out of the theater blinking a lot.
    Studies seem to show that 3D bothers certain people profoundly and others not at all. I forget what else this correlated with, but I am happily in the latter group.
  • I am not a fan of 3D. It strains my eyes and starts to bother me after a while. I usually end up walking out of the theater blinking a lot.
    Studies seem to show that 3D bothers certain people profoundly and others not at all. I forget what else this correlated with, but I am happily in the latter group.
    I would recommend that people who have a problem with 3D try to stick with it. One of the first 3D games I played was Descent 1 on the PC. I got pretty dizzy, but I stuck with it. Now I have no problem. If it still bothers you after a few hours, then give up.
  • I would recommend that people who have a problem with 3D try to stick with it. One of the first 3D games I played was Descent 1 on the PC. I got pretty dizzy, but I stuck with it. Now I have no problem. If it still bothers you after a few hours, then give up.
    Now here we have a problem. We have 2D games, 2.5D games, 3D games, what are we gonna call games that require 3D glasses to play?
  • Now here we have a problem. We have 2D games, 2.5D games, 3D games, what are we gonna call games that require 3D glasses to play?
    I agree that this is a problem. I remember arguing that Duke Nukem 3D was not 3D since it was on a flat screen. I still have problems with this, but I've given up trying to argue. Games are whatever D you want them to be.
  • I would recommend that people who have a problem with 3D try to stick with it. One of the first 3D games I played was Descent 1 on the PC. I got pretty dizzy, but I stuck with it. Now I have no problem. If it still bothers you after a few hours, then give up.
    Err, I thought we were talking about games with 3D depth effects? Like, wear some glasses, look at a screen? I have no problem with 3D graphics.
  • I've given up trying to argue.
    /obviousjoke.
    I would recommend that people who have a problem with 3D try to stick with it. One of the first 3D games I played was Descent 1 on the PC. I got pretty dizzy, but I stuck with it. Now I have no problem. If it still bothers you after a few hours, then give up.
    Err, I thought we were talking about games with 3D depth effects? Like, wear some glasses, look at a screen? I have no problem with 3D graphics.
    It might be the case with depth effects as well, though. I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever gotten over an aversion to 3D simply by exposing themselves to it.
    CONFIRMED. SATOSHI KON STILL LIVES.
    /obviousjoke.
    Err, I thought we were talking about games with 3D depth effects? Like, wear some glasses, look at a screen? I have no problem with 3D graphics.It might be the case with depth effects as well, though. I'd be interested to know if anybody has ever gotten over an aversion to 3D simply by exposing themselves to it.On the other hand, there are people who have an aversion to 3D due to a biological defect. One example of this is that my mother can't experience the kind 3D properly because her left eye has a defect in it which makes watching a film in 3D a useless endeavor.
  • We have 2D games, 2.5D games, 3D games and 4D games
    FTFY
  • edited August 2010
    I think 3DD (3 Dimensional Deep) would be good. I mean, who doesn't like double Ds? I'll be here all week!
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I mean, who doesn't like double Ds?
    /b/