This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Satoshi Kon has died

RymRym
edited August 2010 in Anime
The sad word on the street is the Satoshi Kon has just died.

His words at the retrospective we attended in New York now ring in my ears. Something along the lines of "It's too soon in my career to honor me like this. Invite me back after I've had a full career: I'm just getting started."

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Only word so far is stuff on Twitter, albeit from fairly trustworthy industry people, but nothing official. Will be bummed if this ends up being true.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • If true, it's close to one of the worst things ever for anime.
  • This really, really blows.
  • Well fuck.
  • I really hope it isn't true.
  • 13 minutes old thread.
    Aren't you supposed to be working Rym? Regardless, waiting for more definite confirmation, unless you accept Takeda Yasuhiro as a trustworthy source.
  • 13 minutes old thread. Aren't you supposed to be working Rym? Regardless, waiting for more definite confirmation, unless you accept Takeda Yasuhiro as a trustworthy source.
    I'm positive that ANN will not post the story until they call Madhouse on the phone. That is how we will know.
  • I think that's all rumor... nobody legit is reporting this.
  • I think that's all rumor... nobody legit is reporting this.
    It has started with Japanese animators tweeting it.
  • edited August 2010
    One Japanese Animator does not make a reliable source. From what I can see everything is coming from that one tweet, which then spawned articles and wikipedia updates. So far no legitimate Japanese sites have come forth with the news.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • From what I can see everything is coming from that one tweet,
    It was the one tweet from the Gainax dude, but then Madhouse also mentioned that they had some very sad news about a director.
  • edited August 2010
    s have come forth with the news.
    There is more than one tweet. MADHouse tweeted that "someone important to the studio has died" and then later someone at Gainax named names. It could still be fake, and I want it to be, but it's 50/50 right now. I think that they are just holding back because they are Japanese, and that's how they roll.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    So far no legitimate Japanese sites have come forth with the news.
    I recall telling my parents that Princess Diana had died many hours before any "legitimate" news reported it. No one believed me.

The same thing happened with John Candy. It was a full day before anyone else knew, prompting many questions from family members as to how I had found out.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited August 2010
    So he had cancer? according to unnamed sources...
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • So he had cancer? according to unnamed sources...
    If so, that was some quick and dangerous cancer. He appeared completely healthy when we saw him relatively recently.
  • Princess Diana is dead!?
  • Wow. This sucks a lot...
  • edited August 2010
    Gone too soon, didn't even hit 50.
    Post edited by Technique on
  • edited August 2010
    Indeed, this sucks a lot. He's made great films and from what I heard from you must have been a pretty cool guy.
    Post edited by Zykrome on
  • edited August 2010
    This is such a bummer. I've never been this sad about the death of a movie or animation industry person. This is a great loss.

I keep thinking about his blog and what he said at the retrospective. I'm sad.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    I've never been this sad about the death of a movie or animation industry person.
    Jim Henson is probably the only person of that ilk whose death affected me like this.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The Japanese government should assigned Mamoru Hosoda, Miyazaki, and the other greats who still live bodyguards and doctors. The future of anime is at stake.
  • Totally watching Magnetic Rose and Millennium Actress tonight. Anyone with me?
  • edited August 2010
    I've never been this sad about the death of a movie or animation industry person.
    Jim Henson is probably the only person of that ilk whose death affected me like this.
    Well, also Yoshifumi Kondo who lived to be 47, and Tezuka who lived to be only 60. We just weren't aware enough at the time. We weren't alive when John Lennon was killed. I was only 8 or 9 when Freddie Mercury died.

Everyone else I can think of either died at a ripe old age, such as Will Eisner, or had some weirdness, like Michael Jackson.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Johnny Cash was the only media person whose death made me anywhere near this sad before, but he was old and just running through the paces after his wife died.
  • Gone too soon, didn't even hit 50.
    He probably did on the high way though.
  • edited August 2010
    Gone too soon, didn't even hit 50.
    He probably did on the high way though.
    I didn't even notice I walked into that one...
    Thanks for making me lol, just a bit.
    Post edited by Technique on