This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Minecraft - First Person Dwarf Fortress.... Kinda

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
Since the forum seems to be into playing some indie games, I figured I would bring Minecraft to everyone's attention. I've been playing the shit out of the paid version, but the free version is pretty good too. (If you buy the game now, it's half price.)

Basically, you're dropped with nothing in a randomly generated world, and you can only explore and hit things. You can hit everything in the game. Most of them will turn into an inventory item of themselves. You can combine items into machines, different items, etc. Monsters spawn in very dark areas and they will kill you. The goal is to survive and build things.

This should give you a good idea of the game play, at least early on.
0VWnQHS-ffs

And this is an example of a player's server.
XUDrevF-LfI

The big shocker is, this is an ALPHA. Unless they're just lying and the game is almost done in it's current state, this is going to be an amazing project to watch. The game is extremely fleshed out, supports a fuck ton of people at once, and hasn't given me a single issue in the hours that I've played it.

Anyone interested?

Comments

• Does it cost money?
    edited August 2010
    The game is extremely fleshed out
    AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.

All you do is dig, craft, build and punch sheep for wool (or shear them by a snowball offence). The performance is shit, being entirely written in Java. It's way to expensive, €20, luckily there's already opennsource clones that implement the same things. I still play single player survival sometimes because it is fun, but tedious.

EDIT:
    Does it cost money?
    (If you buy the game now, it's half price.)
    Can you hand me your BSc?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Errors out on every start attempt regardless of browser or Java install version.
  • The game is extremely fleshed out
    AHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHA.
    Well, maybe fleshed out was a poor choice of words, but it's still in fucking alpha. This is hopefully just the beginning.

I've basically been doing what I did in Dwarf Fortress. Dig into a mountain, make a house, strip mine for minerals, make armor and weapons, farm wheat for bread, etc. There's a mineral that let's you build wires also, which means you can make connected switches and traps.
  • This game's fun and it's only going to get better, plus it's only €10 (~$13). If there's enough interest someone should set up a FRCF multiplayer alpha server.
  • Well, maybe fleshed out was a poor choice of words, but it's still in fucking alpha. This is hopefully just the beginning.
    DF is still 'pre-alpha', so yeah. 'Fleshed out' was a very poor choice of words.

Anyways, now I've been landscaping a rocky overhang in the middle of fucknowhere into a house. It's ridiculous. I'll put a tree farm on top and hide behind the natural wall.
  • I've discovered a few basic recipes, but I'm not figuring out how to get metals. Do you have to somehow smelt gold? Where are the damned gems? I've got full hearts and have never seen a damned spider or skeleton. This could have something to do with the fact that I ran up the Jolly Roger to try the game before buying.
  • http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page
    http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

I'm playing the paid version, but I'm pretty sure most of the recipes work in the free one. The site is actually down right now so I can't check.

Anyway, you need to mine whatever you want to smelt. Then make a furnace. Right click on the furnace and put coal as the fuel (bottom slot) and whatever you want to smelt in the top slot.
  • There are no recipes or crafting in the free one. You get all the blocks in infinite quantities. I went to TPB to check out the paid one and decide whether to purchase. So far it's not blowing me away.
  • This game, while interesting in theory, reeks of the Dwarf Fortress mentality and might never go anywhere.
  • edited August 2010
    This game, while interesting in theory, reeks of the Dwarf Fortress mentality and might never go anywhere.
    It has none of the storytelling element. It is pure sandbox. But the worst part is that the sandboxing doesn't achieve anything.

I want to love this game as I love my LEGOs. But I have to have some goal, no matter how flimsy, if I want to grind away at blocks all the live long day. A tunnel is meaningless without a place to go. A tower is meaningless without a reason to defend it.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I want to love this game as I love my LEGOs. But I have to have some goal, no matter how flimsy, if I want to grind away at blocks all the live long day. A tunnel is meaningless without a place to go. A tower is meaningless without a reason to defend it.
    Persistent massive multiplayer would make a goal emerge.
  • This game only makes me wish that Love worked better. Granted, I don't know how far they've come since playing the alpha.
  • I went to TPB to check out the paid one

That shouldn't work. You still have to log in. And the client'll get outdated.
  • I want to love this game as I love my LEGOs. But I have to have some goal, no matter how flimsy, if I want to grind away at blocks all the live long day. A tunnel is meaningless without a place to go. A tower is meaningless without a reason to defend it.
    They're working on it (my friend Will follows this game like some people follow religions).
  • I went to TPB to check out the paid one

That shouldn't work. You still have to log in. And the client'll get outdated.
    When Minecraft can't connect to the server it lets you play single player locally. Outdated doesn't matter if you aren't contacting the server.
    What Rym said. If you put enough creative people in a room with a common (Or even not quite 100% common) goal, then emergence takes over. It's awesome.
  • What Rym said. If you put enough creative people in a room with a common (Or even not quite 100% common) goal, then emergence takes over. It's awesome.
    Most 'Crafting right now is done on private servers playing something like survival. So this emergence is already really common in what is a pretty tight community. Game matching in the future would have some crazy awesome shit going on.
  • Alright then, anyone else gonna pick this game up? I'd like to play around and see where multiplayer is at.

I can host a server for a bit, but I can't promise anything on the reliability end of the spectrum.
  • The world is so large that you'd need about 50 people on the same server at the same time to make multiplayer work.
  • I can probably afford the alpha right now. If my ISP finally opens up more bandwidth to my building, I might even be able to have a server running 6p-9a CST on most days.
  • edited August 2010
    Server is running on 98.230.90.6:25565

Let's see what happens?

Edit: Well shit. Furnaces don't work in multiplayer, which means you can't do half the shit in the game, monsters don't spawn, and you can't kill the wild animals for meat or materials. It look like it's just build shit for now. I can spawn shit into the game to build with, it just seems silly to have to.

Maybe we'll see an update soon. It's seems he just added the inventory in not too long ago.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Server is running on 98.230.90.6:25565

Let's see what happens?

Edit: Well shit. Furnaces don't work in multiplayer, which means you can't do half the shit in the game, monsters don't spawn, and you can't kill the wild animals for meat or materials. It look like it's just build shit for now. I can spawn shit into the game to build with, it just seems silly to have to.

Maybe we'll see an update soon. It's seems he just added the inventory in not too long ago.
    Right now Notch the creator is out in Finland and he will soon go to America for some business meetings. Survival multiplayer is a rather recent release so there hasn't been much improvement on the multiplayer part. Soon all the features will be added in on multiplayer that already works in single player and I believe then he will raise the price and start the beta.

As for the business meetings, I do believe he's going to talk to valve. Maybe to put minecraft on steam, maybe more.
  • I downloaded this game and I think it's pretty neat. I have a slight bias as I like things like this and Universal Sandbox and the Powder Game. It is lacking, though. I haven't played a lot of Dwarf Fortress, but I understand that when you die, there artifacts left from your previous life, or something to that effect. I think a game like this would be vastly improved by such a thing, as opposed to your inventory being dumped and that being your remains on this sandbox world.

Maybe even have lots of randomly generated towns, as well. You do things and word spreads of you based on your actions, so that when you die, you come back again to a progression of that world. Rumors are passed around about your old character. Maybe a portrait here and there.

Either way, I enjoy this game, especially for it being just an alpha. I can see this going in many good directions, and I hope that it does. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find some iron ore.
  • Hey guys, Minecraft just hit the 100k mark. Notch has made a million euro on this. Direct to him, no staff to pay.

Indie gaming FTW.
  • Direct to him, no staff to pay.
    Swedish taxes.
    Swedish taxes.
    Paypal fees.
    Swedish taxes.
    Paypal fees.
    Hookers and blow.
  • Paypal fees.
    Eh, that 12% fades to nothing compared to the 50+% Swedish tax. Out of every purchase he gets like 4 Euro or so.