This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NYAF/NYCC 2010

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
I'll be attending and presenting this year. But it'll be my first time there.

For those that have previously attended: how does the schedule tend to work? And what's your general opinion of the convention?

Comments

• I'll be attending and presenting this year. But it'll be my first time there.

For those that have previously attended: how does the schedule tend to work? And what's your general opinion of the convention?
    Well, it's everyone's first year attending the combo con. In previous years the cons were separate.

All indications are that it's not really going to be a truly combined con. It will probably be more like two conventions happening in the same building simultaneously, and each ticket allows you admission to both cons. Pretty sure there will be separate expo halls and separate panel rooms, separate everything.

Both of these conventions are very comic-con ish. One really big room full of vendors, artists, etc that is open during all convention hours. Then some panel rooms to the side. I think there's one big event theater that has premiers and other big events. In years past the NYCC has also had a small-ish gaming area upstairs. However, it has never even been large enough to compare to the gaming even at someplace like CTCon or Katsucon.

Most people tend to walk around the entire expo hall once or twice. Then they go to the events that interest them, and spend the rest of the time dicking around. I think dicking around time will be severely diminished with two conventions worth of exhibit space and twice as much programming due to the double-ness.

Effective strategy - stick with us.
  • And the place closes early too, right?
  • edited August 2010
    And the place closes early too, right?
    Yeah, it ends at 7PM the first two days and at 5PM on Sunday. Also, Friday it doesn't start until 1PM. from 10AM to 1PM on Friday is professional only hours. However, I think some events still go on beyond those hours, such as the cosplay or whatnot.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    The only real problem is that there is literally nothing near the convention center. No food, no transportation, no hotels: nothing. The west side of midtown is a ghost town. Plan to travel far for lunch, or content yourself with hot dogs outside. Eat a huge breakfast before you arrive.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • And the place closes early too, right?
    Yeah, it ends at 7PM the first two days and at 5PM on Sunday. Also, Friday it doesn't start until 1PM. from 10AM to 1PM on Friday is professional only hours. However, I think some events still go on beyond those hours, such as the cosplay or whatnot.
    I've never actually been to the NYCC before (but will be going this year), so I didn't realize it ended at 7PM, and was counting myself out for NerdNYC board game night. Sounds like I've got my Friday after-con entertainment lined up now them. If people are coming in from out of town and staying the weekend for this con and looking for something to do, I would suggest stoping by. It's very much a public event and new people are always popping in.
    The only real problem is that there is literally nothing near the convention center. No food, no transportation, no hotels: nothing. The west side of midtown is a ghost town. Plan to travel far for lunch, or content yourself with hot dogs outside. Eat a huge breakfast before you arrive.
    Good lord this cannot be understated. This shatters people's preconceived notions of Manhattan every time. It's hard to describe how one could be in the middle of such a huge metropolis yet still feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere. The Javitz does have food vendors, but the hot dogs outside are also a good suggestion. On a side note, the convention center also has a Starbucks inside, and was the site of the longest line I've ever seen for a cup of coffee. Easily 50 people deep at Toy Fair last year. In any case, don't expect a tasty lunch. Low expectations are key.
  • Good lord this cannot be understated. This shatters people's preconceived notions of Manhattan every time. It's hard to describe how one could be in the middle of such a huge metropolis yet still feel as though you are in the middle of nowhere
    Seriously, the Javits has been there 25 years, what's the deal?
  • The only real problem is that there is literally nothing near the convention center. No food, no transportation, no hotels: nothing. The west side of midtown is a ghost town. Plan to travel far for lunch, or content yourself with hot dogs outside. Eat a huge breakfast before you arrive.
    There's always that trashy McDonald's that always has a huge line and takes a few blocks to get to. Mmmm, desperation.
  • edited August 2010
    Yeah that is the real kick in the pants. The closest food that you can walk to is that McDonalds.

As far as why nothing noteworthy has ever developed over there, I don't know. The lack of any transportation has gotta hurt, but that's getting into a chicken-or-the-egg debate.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • I once at the actual cafeteria section of the Javitz. It's usually closed but it was open the last time I was there. I imagine it will be open during the convention. Line might be long, and the price might be not so good, but the food will be better than the carts around the show floor.

Also, if you are going to walk for food that isn't a Hot Dog, I suggest Go Go Curry.
  • On a side note, the convention center also has a Starbucks inside
    It's a fake Starbucks, like the ones in most hotels. Limited drink selection, unskilled baristas, etc...
    As far as why nothing noteworthy has ever developed over there, I don't know. The lack of any transportation has gotta hurt, but that's getting into a chicken-or-the-egg debate.
    The lack of transportation is the primary reason. New York thrived partly because it built good public infrastructure BEFORE there was a demand for it. They build the 7 out into NOTHING.

The 7 extension to the Javits is going to kickstart the area in a big way.
  • The west side of midtown is a ghost town.
    That's what I used to love when I worked in the lower west side. I'd go out for a walk by the river after lunch; very quiet and relaxing. I miss it. I am glad that they moved this Con from the middle of winter, the walk between the E train and the Javitz was a killer when you have blisteringly cold wind from the river blowing at you.
  • edited August 2010
    New York thrived partly because it built good public infrastructure BEFORE there was a demand for it. They build the 7 out into NOTHING.

Well that answers that question. I can't help but feel there is a Mets joke waiting to happen there though.
    Post edited by Matt on
  • Well that answers that question. I can't help but feel there is a Mets joke waiting to happen there though.
    The magic is back.

Not.
  • Well, I'm at a Mets game currently...
    A small part of me is extremely jealous of the high-priced, yet way-too-delicious-to-be-stadium-food tacos available to you at this very moment. Get the sampler.
    A small part of me is extremely jealous of the high-priced, yet way-too-delicious-to-be-stadium-food tacos available to you at this very moment. Get the sampler.
    Oh, I'm in a comped luxury box with an open bar. I would not have been happy to pay $5 for this hot dog, believe you me.
  • Oh, I'm in a comped luxury box with an open bar. I would not have been happy to pay $5 for this hot dog, believe you me.
    But you would have probably been satisfied paying for the Shake Shack.
    Oh, I'm in a comped luxury box with an open bar. I would not have been happy to pay $5 for this hot dog, believe you me.
  • So, remind me, is that a comped luxury box with an open bar, or a regular seat? :P
  • Having just sat down the head of the dual cons, I can tell you this:

Downstairs will have the main events (where the video theater is) as well as the panels for Comic Con on one side, and panels for NYAF
    on the other side. So downstairs will be food court and panels.

Upstairs will be the exhibition floor along with a few bonus stages. Seems a LOT of Japanese bands are in NYC the same week as the cons
    and ALL want concert space and time....ever had a Japanese hair band crash your event? A lot of hair--crimpers and Ramen.

The key with the Javits is like Scrym said: bring an extra bottle of water, chew gum, and bring a granola bar for extra sustenance.

The 34 bus is your only hope to reach civilization.
  • Upstairs will be the exhibition floor along with a few bonus stages.
    If they are combining the exhibition hall, I assume they are also combining the artist alleys? How is that even going to work? NYAF artist alley is completely different from NYCC artist alley. Are you really going to have famous comic creators sitting next to kids selling yaoi fanarts? Maybe the yaoi fanart people are forced to stay home because the table price is too high? I'm curious.
  • Oh, I'm in a comped luxury box with an open bar. I would not have been happy to pay $5 for this hot dog, believe you me.
    Rym, you must have been drunk last night because you are repeating yourself.
  • Rym, you must have been drunk last night because you are repeating yourself.
    Hah, I didn't notice that until just now.

The cell access at the stadium was terrible. None of the people with iPhones could get any data at all, and I was barely able to do anything.
  • GeoGeo
    edited September 2010
    Well, I recently just got my badge in the mail and will be there all weekend. The wait is always the tough part.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Hey, Scrym. You never did post what your panels that you are doing at NYCC/NYAF. Could you please?
  • edited October 2010
    Miku Hatsune My daughter and I are going for Saturday, should we drive in rather than take the train?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • Miku HatsuneMy daughterand I are going for Saturday, should we drive in rather than take the train?
    Parking is fairly cheap around the Javits. If you take the train, you'll have to either walk there or take a cab: the subways can only get you so close.
  • My daughter is coming down with something. We may have to skip the con. If so is there anyone I can paypal some money to to go to the tinierme.com booth and pick up some stuff for her?