This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

1-Bit Music

edited August 2010 in Technology
A friend of mine introduced me to a musician/ artist who makes "1-Bit music". You'll have to watch the video to see what is so incredibly awesome about this..
I'm posting this here because I really want to build something like this myself, but have absolutely now idea how to go about it. I hope someone can give me some advice.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    I get the feeling that "1-bit" is simply a catchy name rather than the music actually literally being "1-bit". It's still cool, though.

Of a similar vein:
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Wait, so, you're saying, like, this is more authentic than vinyl? Whatevs.
  • Wait, so, you're saying, like, this is more authentic than vinyl? Whatevs.
    Pfft. Anyone worth knowing knows that the only authentic way to experience music is to read printed waveform renders.
  • The only real "music" is the music of the mind, maaan.
  • Is music real?
  • Is sound real?
  • Is this the real life? Is this just fantasy?
  • Caught in a landsliiiiiiide. No escape from realityyyyyyyyyyyyy.
  • Open your eyes, look up at the skies and seeeeeee; is it a bird? Is it a plane?
  • I get the feeling that "1-bit" is simply a catchy name rather than the music actually literally being "1-bit". It's still cool, though.
    Yeah, I'm a little skeptical here too. Saying that something is 1-bit requires more definition. What exactly about it is 1-bit? If I had to guess, based on the video, it's 1-bit in the fact that all you do is turn it on and off, and all the sound is being randomly generated. But then I would want to know what those chips are and how they connect to each other. Are the data bus and registers 1-bit? If so, what does the addressing look like? Additionally, how many oscillators are there? Too many questions.

On the plus side, this has made me do some research on old sound chips. Reading the spec sheets makes me feel like I'm working with breadboards again.
  • edited August 2010
    in the fact that all you do is turn it on and off, and all the sound is being randomly generated.
    It's not. The composition is programed into the circuitry. By turning it on, the series of pre-determined processes begin, meaning the circuit is actually "performing" the symphony. That's the idea, at least.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Open your eyes, look up at the skies and seeeeeee; is it a bird? Is it a plane?
  • edited August 2010
    The only real "music" is the music of the mind, maaan.
    Listen to them! Children of the night! What music they make!
    Post edited by HungryJoe on