This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, I'm buying a new computer.

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
And while reticent to say owt about it, I figure I might as well lay out the details.

Right, here's the pre-amble.

I don't care about noise, and I'm only buying a tower, nothing else. I'm still working on the exact build, but these three are pretty close to what's going to be it. It's going to be primarily a gaming rig, as well as being my general use PC, and I'm going as big as I can afford right now, realistically - that way, I can get away with leaving it as long as possible before I have to replace anything too expensive.
All prices are in Australian Dollars, naturally.

Oh, also - I figured it out with the prices from Newegg - Most likely, it'd be equally or more expensive to build from newegg, once you factor in currency conversion and shipping. By that time, I'm doing things like ending up paying about 160 bucks for two sticks of Corsair RAM, and I can get them for that much or slightly less locally, without going to the effort of arsing around with shipping and waiting.

Also - I'm not getting a monitor, keyboard, OS, or anything you don't see included here(unless I've fucked up somewhere, and I'm missing something vital to it's operation). I either already have them, or I'm making do till I can afford something better than what I can make do with.

Without further Ado, here they are.

Build 1
Antec Three Hundred Tower Gaming Case - Black - NO PSU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHZ Black Edition
Geil 4G(2x2G) DDR3 1333 PC10666 CL9
Thermaltake Litepower 700W ATX PSU
XFX GT240 PCI-E 1GB DDR3 DVI VGA HDMI
Samsung SH-B083A Blu-Ray Combo SATA (Not definite)
Hitachi 1TB SATA 7200RPM 32M
Asus M4A89GTD-Pro AM3 890GX 4DDR3 2PCIE RAID VGA GLAN 2FW ATX HDMI SATA
Extra 120 X 25 MM fan

Build 2
AMD phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz quad core,
Asus AM3 M4A77TD mobo,
DDR3 4GB corsair 1333 PC10600 DHX ram kit(that being two sticks of the Corsair 2GB DHX),
1 TB samsung spinpoint f3 7200 RPM sata HDD,
NVIDIA GT240 1GB DDR5 Gigabyte PCIe video card,
Antec three hundred case,
Thermaltake litepower 700 Watt ATX PSU,
Samsun 8x combo Blu-Ray drive, (Again, not finalised)
Extra 120 x 25MM Fan

Build 3
AMD phenom II X4 945 3.0GHz quad core, (Not finalised)
Asus AM3 M4A77TD mobo,
4GB Generic DDR3 ram, 1333 PC10600 (Two sticks of 2GB)
1 TB samsung spinpoint f3 7200 RPM sata HDD,
NVIDIA GT240 1GB DDR5 Gigabyte PCIe video card,
Antec three hundred case,
Thermaltake litepower 700 Watt ATX PSU,
Samsun 8x combo Blu-Ray drive, (not finalised)
Extra 120 x 25MM Fan

Right - Now for the minutiae.
The RAM, I'm not hugely concerned about the quality, as long as it roughly matches the Gail or Corsair in performance, which I'm assured it does, but this is pending an actual test on Monday. It is also covered by a Manufacturer and store warranty.
I'm not final about the blu-ray drive, I might just get one later, if it becomes an issue, which I doubt it will, however, the ones I'm looking at are cheap enough that I can get away with it, if I can take the extra twenty bucks worth - which is iffy, money is tight. Very tight.

As for Prices - The First build is $904 AUD, the second is $1034 AUD to start out with, but I get a 10-15% discount at that place, mates rates sorta thing, and I've not priced out the third. Also, I've not priced out building the second or third from Umart, which is generally cheaper, but I also don't get a 10-15% discount right off the top. The third build comes out to a rough guess, before the 10-15% discount, at about 880 bucks or so.

Feel free to discuss and provide opinions, Tell me why I'm wrong, an idiot, or why this is decent, whatever. Complaints about price should be kept brief, because yes, I know.

Comments

• edited August 2010
    Aww yeaah. It's computer hardware research time again at the front row crew forum.

That graphics card is pretty weaksauce. For a similar price you could get an Nvidia 9800 (Directx 10) or an ATI Radeon HD 5670 (DirectX 11) or an ATI Radeon HD 4850 (DirectX 10)

The power supply has a lot more watts than you need. You'll probably only need around 500 watts. The CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W looks good. The OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W also looks good, and is cheaper.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • edited August 2010
    That graphics card is pretty weaksauce. For a similar price you could get an Nvidia 9800 (Directx 10) or an ATI Radeon HD 5670 (DirectX 11) or an ATI Radeon HD 4850 (DirectX 10)
    Good point, I might go for This one instead.
    The power supply has a lot more watts than you need. You'll probably only need around 500 watts. The CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W looks good. The OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W also looks good, and is cheaper.
    I'm guessing you mean this one here. I'll give it a go - cheaper is good.

Also - I've managed to trim it all down - pretty close to previous specs, and get it under seven hundred dollars.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • That card is a good bet. You also futureproof yourself by ensuring that you have DX11 capability.
  • That card is a good bet. You also futureproof yourself by ensuring that you have DX11 capability.
    Point taken. I'll go with that one - it's twenty bucks more expensive, but like I said, I've managed to bring the price down to about 660, just from the previous parts lists - though keeping quite similar to the original three. I had to switch a few parts, still working on the source for all of it for the fourth build - I have to get some from Umart, some from my mates up at computer alliance.
  • You also futureproof yourself...
    There's no such thing as "futureproofing".
  • Also, some directx 11 cards perform poorer than some directx 10 ones.
  • edited August 2010
    You also futureproof yourself...
    There's no such thing as "futureproofing".
    Don't be so literal. Fine, you "defend yourself from near instant obsolence upon the adoption of a DX standard that currently exists but is unused."
    Also, some directx 11 cards perform poorer than some directx 10 ones.
    That model is not one such card.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I got what he meant, being pedantic of the wording/philosophy don't matter to me right now.

Do we have any further suggestions before I post the 4th/5th builds?

Also, WUB, dude, you're going to have to teach me to civilisation. I really, really, really suck at that sort of game.
  • That model is not one such card.
    *cough*
  • That model is not one such card.
    *cough*
    *facepalm* I was thinking of the 5750, the ATI card in my rig. Suggest away, forumites.
    Also, WUB, dude, you're going to have to teach me to civilisation. I really, really, really suck at that sort of game.
    We'll get on that. I haven't played in a long time either, and I'm also busy learning Starcraft all over again, so we'll see how it goes.
  • I too need to learn Civ
  • I have Civ IV, but have yet to touch it xD
  • edited August 2010
    *facepalm* I was thinking of the 5750, the ATI card in my rig. Suggest away, forumites.
    Well, bollocks. Suggestions, anyone? I will go for something in that range, if I have to - I've managed to pull the price way down, so I might be able to get away with lashing out a little more on a video card, but nothing crazy.

Edit - Owch - The 5750 DX10 is half again the price of the the DX11 model. That should have told me something.
    Post edited by Churba on