This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

XBox Live Price Hike

edited August 2010 in Video Games
They're going to hike up the price of XBox Live Gold very soon. However, there is a special deal right now to subscribe for less.

http://kotaku.com/5625516/

Bullshit all around.

Comments

• "Incredible value" my arse. Steam is free.
  • Lame. What sucks was there was a promotion to get a year for $39.99 and my subscription ends in 2 weeks. I tried to enroll in that promotion but all I got were error codes. I tried it several times over several days.
  • Sucks for all of you with X-boxes :-p
  • "Incredible value" my arse.
    Incredible value...to Microsoft. They always seem to get that part wrong...
  • Perhaps when the PS3 can offer Netflix w/o the disc, I'll be using that instead.
  • Well, time to start designing a HTPC for netflix...
  • ~3.0% inflation per year is a bitch.
    Better than ~3.0% deflation.
    Better than ~3.0%deflation.
    True, but it's still kinda depressing now knowing that my raise only keeps me just ahead of inflation.
  • Well, looks like I'm going to have to renew my LIVE account before November 1st.
  • Well, looks like I'm going to have to renew my LIVE account before November 1st.
    Likewise, especially since I can use Netflix on my PS3 for free. Or I'll buy some subscription cards before the deadline.
  • Looks like that increase in voice chat bitrate is going to cost ya.
  • edited August 2010
    Well I wind up saving money with the family scheme, splitting my XBL costs with my two brothers and Dad. WIN! (Total cost per year, £17, about the same as three months of XBL now!)
    Post edited by ElJoe0 on
  • I'd happily give up Facebook, ESPN, and any other 'feature' that I never use to keep the price ten bucks lower. It reeks of bullshit.
  • What is worst of all is that all these so-called bonus features like Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm, Netflix, etc. are all FREE with an actual computer or a mobile phone. The XBox is the only platform that will charge you for those things.
  • And how hard is it to get Last.fm to play while you are playing a game!
  • OMG $10 more a year, how will we cope!
  • OMG $10 more a year, how will we cope!
    It's not that somehow $10 more a year is going to bankrupt us all, but rather that paying $50 a year for Xbox Live is already kind of an iffy proposition especially when no one else charges for online services. So adding $10 to that sort of pushes it past the threshold of what I'm willing to pay for such a service that I don't really use often enough to justify paying $50 a year for.
  • Then don't pay, it's that simple.
  • Then don't pay, it's that simple.
    Yea, that says it all. Vote with your wallet, if enough people do it, they may change.
  • What is worst of all is that all these so-called bonus features like Facebook, Twitter, Last.fm, Netflix, etc. are all FREE with an actual computer or a mobile phone. The XBox is the only platform that will charge you for those things.
    And that Hulu Plus bullshit. I'm a bit miffed that XBox charges for it's service, and that service is sub optimal. We didn't get Scott Pilgrim till a few weeks after the PS3. WTF is that about?!?! I'm OK, not happy but OK, with paying for an online service if said service gives me something of value in return. I'd appreciate some older games for free OR new content sooner.
  • We didn't get Scott Pilgrim till a few weeks after the PS3. WTF is that about?!?!
    That game was the one time I've ever seen a downloadable game get an earlier release on the PS3. Usually the 360 gets the timed exclusive, or is the exclusive console for a game, so not sure you can really complain about that one.
  • We didn't get Scott Pilgrim till a few weeks after the PS3. WTF is that about?!?!
    That game was the one time I've ever seen a downloadable game get an earlier release on the PS3. Usually the 360 gets the timed exclusive, or is the exclusive console for a game, so not sure you can really complain about that one.
    I also don't understand why you would complain at all. Oh no! A game came out an entire WEEK later? Big whoop. It could be a year or ten, and I still wouldn't give a shit.

I have no sympathy for anyone who lacks patience for media releases. I see these nerds complaining that comic books are getting delayed, or nerds who need to buy the comic on the exact day it comes out. Dude, the comic will be the same comic ten years from now as it is today. Whether you read it now or then, it won't make any difference. There is already more entertainment available than you could possibly consume in your entire lifetime. If something you want isn't out yet, there are only thousands of other things out there you could occupy yourself with until then. If none of the works of art created in the entire history of the world interest you, then you are a sad sad individual.

TL;DR: If you complain about something being late or delayed, STFU.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2010
    I heard PAX was delayed a couple days. Hope that won't ruin our travel plans.

Also, your boss called, and your paycheck is delayed a few weeks. No problem, right?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • It really works! But I am only on a 2 year delay :'( image
  • I heard PAX was delayed a couple days. Hope that won't ruin our travel plans.

Also, your boss called, and your paycheck is delayed a few weeks. No problem, right?
    That's not a media release.
  • That's not a media release.
    Schedule for Otakon was delayed for a long time, wasn't it? Didn't we complain about that?
  • That's not a media release.
    Schedule for Otakon was delayed for a long time, wasn't it? Didn't we complain about that?
    That's not a media release. It's information that is used for making time-sensitive decisions.
  • That's not a media release. It's information that is used for making time-sensitive decisions.
    But you said clearly:
    Maybe you should have said "media release" in your summary, rather than "something."
  • TL;DR: If you complain about something being late or delayed, STFU.
    Maybe you should have said "media release" in your summary, rather than "something."
    Oh Snap!