This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Netbook HDD Partitioning

edited August 2010 in Technology
Okay, so after a month of using windows 7 on my netbook, I've decided to go back to XP. However, I'd like to partition my hard drive with one partition for system/program files and one for data.
I have a 160GB hard drive. Here is the list of software I plan on installing:
Adobe Audition
Virtual DJ
Office 2007
Chrome
Half Life 1
NFS underground (2GB)
UT2004 5.5gb2

All in all it should take about 20gb for system and program files, so I was thinking 40GB for that partition and the rest for data.

What do you guys think?

Comments

• Okay, so after a month of using windows 7 on my netbook, I've decided to go back to XP.
    Why?
  • It's a netbook? Don't store data on there, period. Assume that the hard drive in there is on the verge of crashing at all times. Store your data in the cloud or on external drives.
  • Okay, so after a month of using windows 7 on my netbook, I've decided to go back to XP.
    Why?
    Also don't bother with partitioning stuff, you just make your life more difficult on a windows box.
  • edited August 2010
    Okay, so after a month of using windows 7 on my netbook, I've decided to go back to XP.
    Why?
    Because, even with 3 GB of ram, the processor just isn't up to stuff. It feels quite sluggish and audio becomes choppy when playing multiple audio files at once (example: Rainymood.com and Winamp). Also, games that used to run perfectly at the maximum settings under XP become choppy even at the lowest settings.
    It's a netbook? Don't store data on there, period. Assume that the hard drive in there is on the verge of crashing at all times. Store your data in the cloud or on external drives.
    All the data I store on here is duplicated else where. Documents and such go into Dropbox, but I do keep a copy of my music and music videos on here.
    Also don't bother with partitioning stuff, you just make your life more difficult on a windows box.
    Not really. As I said, documents are automatically synced with my big laptop at home. The whole reason behind partitioning is, if I have to reinstall windows again later, I don't have to worry about reloading my music/videos on here again.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • edited August 2010
    The whole reason behind partitioning is, if I have to reinstall windows again later, I don't have to worry about reloading my music/videos on here again.
    Don't even put your music/videos on there in the first place. Put them on an external drive.

Also, your performance issues are more likely due to misconfiguration or viruses/spyware. Do you have aero disabled? I mean, it is a netbook after all. The only real fix for your performance problems is better hardware.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The whole reason behind partitioning is, if I have to reinstall windows again later, I don't have to worry about reloading my music/videos on here again.
    Don't even put your music/videos on there in the first place. Put them on an external drive.
    Scott, it's not my only copy of that stuff. I have another copy on my big laptop and a backup on my file server. I don't want to lug around and external drive for something that can fit quite handily on the internal one. It doesn't make sense.
  • Also, your performance issues are more likely due to misconfiguration or viruses/spyware. Do you have aero disabled? I mean, it is a netbook after all. The only real fix for your performance problems is better hardware.
    My netbook has the NVidia ION chipset. It can handle aero just fine. Viruses/malware? Very little chance of that (technically, I cannot make a 100% assertion); I've never used bit torrent on this machine, I use MS Security essentials, Chrome for browsing in Sandboxie, etc...
  • Disable/remove all virus and spyware protection. A netbook can't handle the overhead.
  • Disable/remove all virus and spyware protection. A netbook can't handle the overhead.
    Yeah, disable everything that isn't necessary. Even if you can "handle" aero on paper, don't. It still takes CPU cycles, and you don't have any to spare.
    Yeah, disable everything that isn't necessary. Even if you can "handle" aero on paper, don't. It still takes CPU cycles, and you don't have any to spare.
    Are you telling me that I can pump out 1080p video through HDMI but not aero?
  • Are you telling me that I can pump out 1080p video through HDMI but not aero?
    It's not just about resolution. It's far more complex than that. Try disabling it and see what happens. You can always turn it back on. It won't hurt you or cost you anything.
  • Are you telling me that I can pump out 1080p video through HDMI but not aero?
    It's not just about resolution. It's far more complex than that. Try disabling it and see what happens. You can always turn it back on. It won't hurt you or cost you anything.
    Definitely. Even on my mid-level desktop I can turn off aero and get a few more frames in anything.
  • The whole reason behind partitioning is, if I have to reinstall windows again later, I don't have to worry about reloading my music/videos on here again.
    Thats what I ended up doing on my dell mini 10. I've got a 20 gig partition for xp and a 20 gig partition for windows 7 and the rest for random storage. What netbook do you have, by the way?