This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Comments

• Has anybody actually seen the "Outstanding comedy" Modern Family? How is it?
  • Has anybody actually seen the "Outstanding comedy" Modern Family? How is it?
    I have, and I WILL say that it is the best comedy on TV. And even if it isn't your favorite, it's probably within one's top three.

Short Version: Arrested Development + The Office with an incredibly diverse, but still really loving family. (And you can believe they are loving) Featuring Married With Children's Ed O'Niell

Long Version: An incredibly hysterical show that uses a wonderful balance of every kind of humor. And while it looks like a weird as hell family who gets along, you truly feel the love and bonding between all of these characters. And what also stands out, is that EVERYONE in this cast is funny. No one out shines the other. Think about it, THREE people from the show appeared in the "Best Supporting Actor in a Comedy" and they all could of deserved the award. All of them might not be well known, but they've worked hard throughout the years to hone their craft. And even the child actors are funny. What stands out for the show as well, is that it works as a tropebreaker too. It's a family comedy, but it's played like a Mockumentary as well. It covers homosexual couples, couples with major age differences, and irritable teenagers but covers it with major finesse, making them all lovable, understandable, and human.

And what's great about it, is that you can jump into any episode. It's the perfect episodic comedy, where even if dynamics are change, every episode has it's own charm and message. (And the messages are delivered well and with hilarity.) It uses references, guest stars and the interviews to great effect. And Guest Stars have included: Edward Norton, Fred Willard, Minnie Driver, Judy Greer, and Kirsten Schaal. Each show has it's own laugh out loud moments, you can see them in any order, and they all have memorable moments. The writers, directors and actors really put their all into making this one of the best shows of 2009.
  • edited August 2010
    I watched and enjoyed Modern Family to a lukewarm degree. Ed O'Neil is brilliant in everything he does, but the writers are trying their hardest to emulate Arrested Development with a more viewer-friendly bent. To me, the jokes are watered down and not nearly as bitingly comic. I gave up watching the show a while ago because I felt it was trying so hard to meet the AD benchmark and falling short.

I really do enjoy the dialogue between the gay brother and his life partner, though. And Julie Bowen is haaaaaaawt.

Overall, I wish ABC would have renewed Better Off Ted instead.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I really do enjoy the dialogue between the gay brother and his life partner, though
    They made the show for me.
  • I really do enjoy the dialogue between the gay brother and his life partner, though
    They made the show for me.
    I can always watch Cam and Mitchell or the Pritchett-Delgado Family. Even though I praise the hell out of the characters in this show, I think the main family does have flaws. Alex isn't very funny, only best as being the butt of jokes and Haley would not be funny if she didn't have Dylan.
  • So was anyone else underwhelmed with Season 3 of True Blood? Sure it had its moments, but I like the previous seasons better.
  • So was anyone else underwhelmed with Season 3 of True Blood? Sure it had its moments, but I like the previous seasons better.
    I'll let you know when I finally get to see the finale. It's been a fun ride. I'm sick of Tara, I'll tell you that much. And Jason's been reduced to a sniveler. But werewolves and werepanthers?! That stuff was fun.
  • I've been having a discussion with a friend and he really loathes Tara. I can see his point, but I'm not sick of her. I really don't like seeing her fail over and over, and that's probably why people don't like her because she become more and more bitter and a bitch.

As for Jason, his storyline was weak. It was funny seeing him try to become a detective/cop/sheriff, but the whole new girl thing was old.

Sam's storyline is interesting. I'm not sure if I like where it's going, but I'm interested. The same goes for Lafayette.
  • I'm slowly watching The Crystal Maze.
  • I've been having a discussion with a friend and he really loathes Tara. I can see his point, but I'm not sick of her. I really don't like seeing her fail over and over, and that's probably why people don't like her because she become more and more bitter and a bitch.

As for Jason, his storyline was weak. It was funny seeing him try to become a detective/cop/sheriff, but the whole new girl thing was old.

Sam's storyline is interesting. I'm not sure if I like where it's going, but I'm interested. The same goes for Lafayette.
    I just say the finally and... I'm kind of annoyed. I would have liked some of the loose ends to have been tired up, BUT NOOOOOOO! We have to leave everything hanging. BLOODY HELL! I'm glad Erik isn't dead. That "Jedi moment" gone wrong was nice.

It's also good to see the characters changing. I'm not a fan of Tara or Jason, but they're evolving. Maybe Jason will make ONE RIGHT CHOICE next season. Sam & Lafayette are the shit. Jessica/Hoyt/Hoyt's Mom with a gun should be interesting. BTW: What's up with the weird creepy baby doll in that house? Fuck that thing.

Also, fuck Bill. TWICE!
  • I agree with you Wywy. I was so happy when Hoyt finally showed some testicular fortitude. Hoyt & Jessica make me smile.

I like what they are doing with Bill. It's not longer feeling all Edwardy-Twilight crap.
  • I don't know... Bill is still a physically and mentally abusive @$$hole. That sounds pretty Edwardy to me... :P
  • edited September 2010
    Ah, the Crystal Maze. I love that show so much. One of the best bits - Watching Richard O'brian being an enormous ham, sleezily hit on the pretty contestants, and be dismissive to everyone else.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2010
    I don't know... Bill is still a physically and mentally abusive @$$hole. That sounds pretty Edwardy to me... :P
    LOL. I think Bella was the one that was mentally abusive to herself more than anything. She did hallucinate the motherfucker when he left.

I really would like to see some hot vampire male lovin' next season. HBO, make it happen. Just saying. >.> /fujoshi
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I really would to see some hot vampire male lovin' next season. HBO, make it happen. Just saying. >.> /fujoshi
    No. No. Just... no. Stop. Don't do that.
  • I really would like to see some hot vampire male lovin' next season. HBO, make it happen. Just saying. >.> /fujoshi
    Maybe a re-read of some Anne Rice is in order?
  • I got Burn Notice season 3 a couple of weeks ago and I am half way trough. What a great show, it really took me by surprise when I first started watching it.
  • I'm watching "The Batman," and am really enjoying it. It's a major change-up of the Batman mythos with characters having different back stories and a shift to Batman really focusing on gadgets.
  • I got Burn Notice season 3 a couple of weeks ago and I am half way trough. What a great show, it really took me by surprise when I first started watching it.
    Season 4 just ended and the season finale, like most season finales, aggravated me to no end because it ended on such a good cliffhanger.
  • edited September 2010
    I watched all of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and it was amazing, terrific, another Sorkin masterpiece with a lot of the charm and political cache of The West Wing.

Until the very end.

That's when (spoilarz) they did they whole "atheist is desperate and learns to pray" schtick. It ruined a wonderful season.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • Addendum:

I love Gene Simmons Family Jewels. He's such a prudish old man at the same time as debauching. Overall, the show is wholesome, like some bizarro-land version of Full House.
  • The Office and The Venture Bros.

That's pretty much all the TV I watch. I'm really excited about new seasons of both coming out soon/now.
  • Oh yeah, I totally forgot about the Venture Bros. That was a great way to bring back the show with the "Butter-Glider" episode. To add extra to the list...

Metalocalypse (Which the New Season Airs Tonight)
    Boardwalk Empire = Yes, this show is amazing as everyone says it is. Steve Buschemi is perfect for this role, and they give him wonderful lines to say. There's just sooooo much interesting things going on, and they capture a lot of the set-pieces, environment and ideals of the time. No wonder it already got a 2nd Season announced already.
  • I just started to watch "Mad Men", it is a pretty great show.
    If you like seinen, then this is your kind of tv show :P
  • Big Bang Theory. Battlestar Galactica. Venture Bros. Metalocalypse. The Office.

Everything else is old/Hulu/Daily Show and Colbert/Shit I don't really care about.
  • 30 Rock is freaking hilarious. Also, no laugh track.
  • 30 Rock is freaking hilarious. Also, no laugh track.
    Word. Also, Tina Fey is the embodiment of "nerd hot".
  • Word. Also, Tina Fey is the embodiment of "nerd hot".
    And Katrina Bowden is just plain hot.
  • And Katrina Bowden is just plain hot.
    Double plus good.
  • I finished watching Season 2 of Parks and Recreation...now I can't wait for it to return to NBC Thursday. That show has an epic cast. And Ron Swanson.