This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New study finds nondrinkers live the shortest lives.

edited August 2010 in News
Yup, check it out.

Moderate drinkers (1-3 drinks a day) live the longest, followed by heavy drinkers, followed by non drinkers. They aren't sure why, they aren't saying alcohol is super good for you (moderately beneficial in small amounts). But the data is there.

Comments

• Hm. Further research is definitely needed.
  • Yea, I saw this yesterday and was like .... Ahhhh Science coming to the rescue :-p
  • It's tempting to attribute it to stress/stress relief, but there are so many confounding factors that even though they say they tried to control for them, there's no telling what's actually going on.

Although I blame the Mormons and the Muslims. Just sayin'.
  • edited August 2010
    Hm. Further research is definitely needed.
    Indeed. The correlation is there, but the causation is completely unknown.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Interesting. It's not going to make me double up on scotch anytime soon though.
  • Haven't there been studies that say that a small amount of red wine every day is really good for you in old age or something?
  • I think the amount of good is debated, but that doesn't explain why heavy drinkers live second longest.
  • Haven't there been studies that say that a small amount of red wine every day is really good for you in old age or something?
    Lots and lots, actually. Good for digestion as well.

So, basically, the best way I can benefit the public health is...to brew beer? And convince people to drink more good beer?

I think this is a sign. Science is telling me that beer is the key to my goals. How can I argue with that?
  • I think the amount of good is debated, but that doesn't explain why heavy drinkers live second longest.
    It's possible that it has to do with the age range selected. If you're a heavy drinker who makes it to 65, I'm betting you're a tough sonofabitch.
  • If you're a heavy drinker who makes it to 65, I'm betting you're a tough sonofabitch.
    That's kind of what I was thinking.
  • I'm also sort of shocked as to what is considered "moderate" drinking: 1 - 3 drinks per day. Really? Seriously? I average about 3 - 5 drinks per week most of the time.
  • Drinking makes you popular. Being popular means you'll have friends. Friends make you live longer.
  • I average about 3 - 5 drinks perweekmost of the time.
    I have a cocktail or some wine most every night.
  • Drinking makes you popular. Being popular means you'll have friends.Friends make you live longer.
    I'm going to be fucking immortal apparently ^_^
  • edited August 2010
    I'm also sort of shocked as to what is considered "moderate" drinking: 1 - 3 drinks per day. Really? Seriously? I average about 3 - 5 drinks perweekmost of the time.
    Well clearly you need to get your drink on more. Science is telling you so. I probably have 1-2 drinks a day.
    I have a cocktail or some wine most every night.
    Same, but with beer.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Well, clearly, I need to have more beer in the house. It's for my own good.
  • Well, clearly, I need to have more beer in the house. It's for my own good.
    And you need to drink it faster, but it gets infected. :P
  • When I am less poor I generally have a beer or two each night. I rarely have more than that, though.

I am noticing that being really strapped for cash, like I have been lately, has an unfortunate tendency to make me binge a little more, and binging is a lot worse for your health. I just tend to drink less on a regular basis and more on the occasions when it's available for free or I can afford to splurge a little.

I hate being poor.
  • I hate being poor.
    QFTMFT. Although, part of my problem is a roomie who isn't paying his bills and the fact I'm helping my parents pay their mortgage so, yeah... It's really a kind of self imposed poor status but poor Dromaro is poor.
  • I hate being poor.
    This. When I had more money to blow, I was getting six bottles of wine every month, so it was easy to have a glass every day that I wished.
  • Lots and lots, actually. Good for digestion as well.

So, basically, the best way I can benefit the public health is...to brew beer? And convince people to drink more good beer?

I think this is a sign. Science is telling me that beer is the key to my goals. How can I argue with that?
    But beer is not red wine.
  • What about white wine? I can't handle red wine, yet.

Also looking up anything alcohol related through Google at work is apparently blocked. Bollocks.

I drink a 1-2 bottles of white wine a month. If that.
  • I already don't understand why anyone would like the taste of alcohol, no matter what benefit it may provide. Even less than that, I don't understand why anyone would like white wine. I mean, I like grapes of all colors, but only red grape juice is good. Green grape juice is disgusting. Blech.
  • I already don't understand why anyone would like the taste of alcohol, no matter what benefit it may provide. Even less than that, I don't understand why anyone would like white wine. I mean, I like grapes of all colors, but only red grape juice is good. Green grape juice is disgusting. Blech.
    We don't really have to pay attention to Scott now that we know his ways will lead to a shorter life :-p
  • I already don't understand why anyone would like the taste of alcohol
    That's because your taste is different. Another mystery solved, you can die happy now, no?
  • I already don't understand why anyone would like the taste of alcohol
    That's because your taste is different. Another mystery solved, you can die happy now, no?
    If someone eats poop, literally, are you going to shrug and say there is no accounting for taste? Some taste is universal. Actually, most of it is. The differences in taste that people have are actually quite small when you consider all the possible things in the universe that you can put in your mouth.
  • I can now write off Jameson as "longevity serum?" Science is wonderful.
    I already don't understand why anyone would like the taste of alcohol, no matter what benefit it may provide.
    You speak as if there is only one monolithic alcoholic beverage with exactly one taste.
  • If someone eats poop, literally, are you going to shrug and say there is no accounting for taste? Some taste is universal. Actually, most of it is.
    Keep believing Scott, it'll become true if you believe enough.
  • The differences in taste that people have are actually quite small when you consider all the possible things in the universe that you can put in your mouth.
    The problem is that not all people taste the same. Do you know if you're a supertaster or not, Scott? They're often extremely bothered by the taste of alcohol while normal tasters and "undertasters" are typically not.
  • The differences in taste that people have are actually quite small when you consider all the possible things in the universe that you can put in your mouth.
    The problem is that not all people taste the same. Do you know if you're a supertaster or not, Scott? They're often extremely bothered by the taste of alcohol while normal tasters and "undertasters" are typically not.
    I looked into that, and I have some aspects of supertaster and some aspects of non-taster, which I think makes me normal taster.