This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How the fuck do I whisper or PM?

Comments

• Really? Really?

I suppose I could have asked my question in an more eloquent manner. But did I deserve the barrage of shit I got?

In every club or group newcomers are beaten down and treated different. I thought a community of well educated/gamers/"geeks" might be different.

Shame on you that "dissed me" I hope that the comments you posted made your day.

Maybe there should be a thread for newcomers to post questions such as I did with out fear of retaliation. Maybe there is. Yet I did not see it. This thread should be a "sticky" thread. So it could be seen on one's first visit to the forum.

Thank you for your time.
  • Thank you for your time.
    I wouldn't worry. 'twas all in good fun. And notice how most of the "dissing" was directed between them, and not actually at you. You're fine. ^_~
  • Really? Really?
    Really?

It's the internet, it's just words. It's not like we made you eat dog shit. Your skin is going to need to be thicker if you ever get involved in some of the fierce arguments that crop up around here.
  • If souls existed, ours would be covered in callouses.
  • I still think the 'sticky" thread for noob questions is a good idea.
    Actually, that probably is a pretty good idea. "This is how to post video. This is how not to suck at formatting a post. This is how to use a semicolon."
  • edited September 2010
    I still think the 'sticky" thread for noob questions is a good idea.
    We were all once newbs here.

My suggestion, before you post a thread about "how to do x or y", try to figure it out on your own. The "Whisper your comments to" box is right above the "Enter your comments" box, so if you just take a little extra time to figure things out, you won't have to bother to ask.

Also when all else fails: Google. (This is for questions in general, not specific for how to on the forum. Just hit buttons and see what they do.)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Also, here's a word of advice: Don't take it personally. We give each other shit all the time. It's part of how we express our solidarity on these forums. Sometimes we do cross lines, but for the most part, just thicken your skin a bit.
    I do too, actually. Probably, it will appear as soon as I bother to make it.
    Instead of a new thread, just make a new post to the Rules and Forum hints thread
    Just add the answer to the forum rules and hints thread. Too many stickies sucks.

Also, after we switch to Vanilla 2, everything will be somewhat different.
    I grok it.
  • Well I know that now... I didnt before. So someone had to show me how to grok. I groked. Now I can do it.
  • I mean there is no button that says "private thread" or "private message" You first need to click on "start a new topic". And unless you are an experienced member you have no idea what to do. So you saying,
    That's the whole point. If you want to just find your Whispered comments/discussions, there are links on the left side of the forum. ^_~
    does jack and shit. And Jack just left town chewing the last of my bubble gum.
  • I mean there is no button that says "private thread" or "private message" You first need to click on "start a new topic". And unless you are an experienced member you have no idea what to do. So you saying,
    Look you don't need to be a douche bag.

There are NO such things as PMs in this forum. They are just whispers. You can whisper a person in threads or create a new thread. If you want to search for your whispered comments/threads that is why the links on the left side of the forum.

Seriously, you're being a dickhead and I don't appreciate getting shit for helping a person who is being impatient on trying to figure something out.
  • Try what? Looking on the left side of the page for a Whisper button? Still not there.
  • edited September 2010
    I hate missing out on these kinds of threads.
    I hate when you miss out on these kinds of threads, too.
    This was just the right thread for you too.
    To be fair, I really do like newcomers, I'm not a perpetual troll, and I'm only an asshole when the urge really strikes. I try to be a good forum citizen. ~_^

EDIT: That was supposed to be the winking whilst smiling emote, but Ubuntu isn't recognizing my tilde. CURSES!
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2010
    I mean there is no button that says "private thread" or "private message" You first need to click on "start a new topic". And unless you are an experienced member you have no idea what to do. So you saying,
    Look you don't need to be a douche bag.

There are NO such things as PMs in this forum. They are just whispers. You can whisper a person in threads or create a new thread. If you want to search for your whispered comments/threads that is why the links on the left side of the forum.

Seriously, you're being a dickhead and I don't appreciate getting shit for helping a person who is being impatient on trying to figure something out.
    I am sorry. But you were trying to get me to put the cart before the horse. I had no idea about whisper threads or comments. So I would not have any. What be helpful would be a Whisper thread button.
    Look kid, I was nice to you at first, but now you're starting to wear my patience thin. This isn't PHPBB; Get used to it. You are joining this forum, not vice versa. If you are having trouble figuring things out on this system, we won't have a problem helping you as long as you're not a dick about it.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Again, Sorry.
    If this was a phpBB forum, I would SO make this my signature.
  • Again, Sorry.
    It's all good, just try to be a bit less reactionary. It may behoove you to read the thread about non-drinkers having a shorter life expectancy; we had a good-natured shit-talking conversation there, so it should help to give a sense of the types of ribbing we give around here.

Again, it's all in good jest. When we mean offense, you'll know it. :P
  • Dude. I can't drink. I am an addict. I have had more alcohol and substance in my 28 years then most people have in their entire lives.
    If thiswasa phpBB forum, I would SO make this my signature.
    My sig would be Jesus with giant boobs, in nothing but rags!
  • Dude. I can't drink. I am an addict. I have had more alcohol and substance in my 28 years then most people have in their entire lives.
    I've got a brother-in-law that's in AA/NA - he's been clean and sober for a little over three years now - so I can understand where you're coming from there. Don't sweat the beer/alcohol threads around here - they'll typically be clearly marked. :) Suffice it to say that we give each other a lot of shit around here, so don't take it totally personal if someone gets snarky with you. Also, Google and Wikipedia are your friends - run a search at both on topics where you might need info and then read up on them before posting, otherwise you'll get lmgtfy links in addition to the snarky comments.
  • Also, Google and Wikipedia are your friends - run a search at both on topics where you might need info and then read up on them before posting, otherwise you'll get lmgtfy links in addition to the snarky comments.
    This. This. This.

It's not that we don't like helping, it's just that if it's something fairly simple that can be answered by using Google or Wikipedia, you should do so.
  • Also, Google and Wikipedia are your friends - run a search at both on topics where you might need info and then read up on them before posting, otherwise you'll get lmgtfy links in addition to the snarky comments.
    This. This. This.

It's not that we don't like helping, it's just that if it's something fairly simple that can be answered by using Google or Wikipedia, you should do so.
    What is Google?
    This. This. This.

What is Google?
    Hahaha, good one.
  • I'll try not to break the internet with this one.
  • edited September 2010
    I use http://www.aliweb.com/ Back in the day CompUserve recomended it.
    Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • http://www.aliweb.com/ Hmmm I am having trouble posting it for some reason.