This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100908 - Futurama

edited September 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider Futurama in all its glory. In the news, there's not much to talk about in the anime world (though Urban Vision appears to be doing poorly), and Scott geekbites Strange Tales MAX.

Download MP3

Comments

• It's okay to recycle topics. Four years was long enough. Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. And for a worthy cause!
  • It's okay to recycle topics.Four years was long enough.Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. And for a worthy cause!
    Four years ago there were no movies or new season. It's basically a completely different topic at this point.
  • It's okay to recycle topics.Four years was long enough.Frankly, I'm surprised it didn't happen sooner. And for a worthy cause!
    Four years ago there were no movies or new season. It's basically a completely different topic at this point.
    Except Rym said "We've never talked about it". And you didn't disagree. :P
  • Except Rym said "We've never talked about it". And you didn't disagree. :P
    We forgot.
  • We forgot.
    Scott said "we never talked about it" and I, not remembering, believed him. ;^)
  • edited September 2010
    If you're looking for more Debito Arudo and such like, Trans Pacific Radio has had him guest a few times.
    There was a kinda big incident a while ago when he wasn't allowed in an onsen for being foreign and he sued them.

And here's his website.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Anyway.

Can I just say how much I love the various "and Zoidberg!" jokes in Futurama?

"Save my friends! And Zoidberg!"

"And it was a romantic evening for everyone. And me, Zoidberg!"
  • Expanded Show Notes

Geeknights 20100908 - Futurama

Expanded Show Notes - Show Run Time: 00:50:52

Time | Notes
    ---------+----------------------------------------------------------
    00:00:00 | Intro
    00:00:26 | Opening Chit-Chat
    | - Back from PAX
    | - Note of what Geeknights covers in each show version
    | - Who watches anime? A lot of people are not hardcore fans
    | - Lots of people watch a lot of the shonen shows but not much else
    | - Rym & corny Japanese exclamations
    | - Buying anime on Amazon because it isn't on Netflix undubbed or Crunchyroll
    | - Discussion of Trigun
    | - Why anime con dealers don't get our money anymore (hint: it's cheaper on Amazon)
    | - Watching tips on Gankutsuou
    | - Is it worth owning the physical media if you're not going to rewatch it or loan it out?
    | - On extras on DVDs - commentary & deleted scenes
    | - Funimation S.A.V.E. program - low-priced anime, but not a lot worth buying?
    | - Recent Non-Anime Purchases:
    | - - Rules of Play: Game Design Fundamentals
    | - - Modern Art, Zooloretto, Bonanza, Lost Cities, Panasonic Headphones
    | - Scott teases the new book club book
    00:12:59 | News
    | - RightStuf discontinues carrying Urban Vision's catalog
    | - GeekBite: Strange Tales TPB - recommended by Scott
    00:12:45 | Things of the Day
    | - Avoidance of PAX items to save them for the PAX show
    | Scott's Thing - Free Balls (of Steel)
    | - Japanese culture, xenophobia, and the JET program
    | Rym's Thing - Don't Blame Jet
    00:18:37 | Meta Moment
    | - NYCC/NYAF - Oct 8-9-10
    | - Burning Wheel 10-10-10
    | - NerdNYC Boardgame Nights
    | - NerdNYC Recess - Sep 11
    | - International Talk Like A Pirate Day - Sep 19
    | - NYC World Maker Faires Sep 25-26
    | - Book Club: Golden Apples of the Sun by Ray Bradbury
    | - Non-NYC Convention Scheduling discussion - should it be added to the show?
    00:22:03 | Main Topic
    | - Hypnotoad episode discussion
    | - Futurama!
    | - What have Rym and Scott been doing lately? Discussion on shit-talking.
    | - Does American animation count as topic-fodder for the animation Geeknights shows?
    | - Futurama has geek cred
    | - On Nerds fighting to keep TV shows alive (e.g. Firefly)
    | - Scott postulates on the activity of fans of geek shows versus fans of mainstream shows
    | - On the decline of modern animation due to pop culture references
    | - Discussion of the eras of The Simpsons
    | - Futurama characters
    | - Popular Cartoons & Nerd Cred
    | - The waning of pop culture items as generations progress
    | - George Lucas versus Satoshi Kon
    | - On the decline of Futurama via the movies before it was resurrected
    | - Current season is good but not "all-time" funny
    | - Futurama = comedy with actual plot continuity
    | - Simpsons = comedy but no major continuity
    | - Shout-out and reverse shout-out
    | - Favorite Futurama episodes discussion
    | - On self-referential jokes versus running gags
    | - Societal controversy over early Simpsons episodes versus current Futurama episodes
    | - Futurama started in 1999
    | - Discussion on developments in the interim
    | - On ignoring the fans and realizing what makes your product great
    | - On social commentary in cartoons
    00:49:56 | Outro
  • So I was AWO hoodie guy, the non elevator edition. The AWO hoodie got another comment besides you guys recognizing it in the lineup for the keynote. My friends and I were just leaving a restaurant, a pretty good walking distance from the con, and a 45-50 year old man with a backpack on walked up to me and said, "I don't support AWO, they are pretentious and obnoxious." Then he walked away before I could even open my mouth. It was strange and amusing.
  • Increasingly, it seems to me that "pretentious" means "has standards", when used by most people.
  • I got three comments on this episode:
    1) Ironically enough, a Hedonism-Bot-Episode actually was the end of the show, at least "The Devil's hands are idle playthings" is the closest thing to it with Hedonism Bot providing one of the major plot points.

2) While Family Guy doesn't say anything about society, I believe Family Guy being popular does say something about society :/

3) Futurama probably had the advantage over Firefly that it was on longer. While fans made a stink about either show being canceled, it's probably that the people behind Firefly simply moved on and didn't linger on it, perhaps because that's how showbusiness goes and they weren't that deep into it. Also, let's not forget that Futurama didn't return on Fox, but first in movies. If I had to guess this was because Matt Groening retained the majority of the rights to Futurama after learning his lesson with the Simpsons, that Fox basically took over.
  • While fans made a stink about either show being canceled, it's probably that the people behind Firefly simply moved on and didn't linger on it,
    Yea and Futurama was popular when it was on TV and was not a slow burn like Firefly after it was canceled.
  • I KNEW I remembered Debito Arudou's name from somewhere. He's the guy who sued 2channel a few years ago because some posters there were talking smack about him.
  • So I was AWO hoodie guy, the non elevator edition. The AWO hoodie got another comment besides you guys recognizing it in the lineup for the keynote. My friends and I were just leaving a restaurant, a pretty good walking distance from the con, and a 45-50 year old man with a backpack on walked up to me and said, "I don't support AWO, they are pretentious and obnoxious." Then he walked away before I could even open my mouth. It was strange and amusing.
    Are you the same Feddy from The Fast Karate forums, if so" Hi! :O
  • a 45-50 year old man with a backpack on walked up to me and said, "I don't support AWO, they are pretentious and obnoxious." Then he walked away before I could even open my mouth. It was strange and amusing.
    Wow. So aWo and GeekNights each had one strange detractor at the con, bearing strange words.

"I don't support" is surely an odd thing to say.
  • I KNEW I remembered Debito Arudou's name from somewhere. He's the guy who sued 2channel a few years ago because some posters there were talking smack about him.
    I'll be honest, I am not completely a fan of Debito Arudo. I'm glad that he fights for Gaijin rights, but he tends to be very strident and wild. I prefer activists like Tony László, those who are intelligent and calm in their critique of Japanese society, who say things with good manners but refuse to compromise their beliefs. László works with Japanese society to win people over to his side, whereas Debito is more like a radical who is super wound up and ends up alienating the Japanese he should be working to convince.
    Wow. So aWo and GeekNights each had one strange detractor at the con, bearing strange words.
    What was your strange detractor?
    Are you the same Feddy from The Fast Karate forums, if so" Hi! :O
    I thought he was from iCarly.
  • Behind on listening to Geeknights, but halfway through this episode here are my comments:

If you would pay the same price as the DVD for a drm-free download, why not consider buying the DVD, ripping it yourself, and making a few bucks by selling it so it doesn't take up space. Not worth your time and effort? If it was, you'd be getting it for even cheaper.

Not sure how I feel about the flea market = convention comparison, although in the hilarious thought department, if you ever did a Geeknights Con, I would laugh my ass off if you just went to a big flea market and rented out every single table.
  • Not worth your time and effort
  • Not worth your time and effort
    How much time would it take out of your life that you'll never get back?
  • Mmmm...Depends. Design us the box we're using for ripping and we could eyeball it. If it had 5 DVD drives, a LOT of storage (let's say we're using DVD Shrink to simplify things), and a shit-hot processor and RAM set, overclocked? You might be able to do it with negligible time loss to make it actually worthwhile. But I've rented enough DVDs from Netflix and not ripped them to know that even small time expenditures can be worth a lot in the grand scheme of things.