This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iPhone/other smart phone questions

edited September 2010 in Technology
Hi, gang. I'm thinking of upgrading to a smart phone, and I've identified two routes that I may go down.

Route 1:
Buy a 32GB iPhone and replace my current phone and iPod classic (30gb).

Route 2:
Buy a 32GB or 64GB iPod Touch 4G and some other smart phone that is able to work as a wireless hotspot. Thereby giving me virtually all the features of an iPhone plus all the features of the other smart phone.

Concerns:
The iPod Touch 4G camera is not as good as the iPhone 4's, and I'd like to have a good portable camera for filming.
The iPod Touch 4G has half the RAM of the iPhone 4.
I'm currently using 27.8GB on my iPod and I'm not sure I'd be able to fit all my music plus apps, pictures and video comfortably on a 32GB iPhone 4.

So, basically I have three questions for you all: How much space do apps, pictures, videos and other miscellany take up on your iPhones? Which of the two routes would you recommend I take (or do you have a different route to recommend)? And which phones do you know of and recommend that can become a wi-fi hotspot?

Sorry for the huge post, but I'd like some help if possible. :)

Comments

• I had a 16 gig iPhone 3G and now I have a 32 gig iPhone 4. It never ever even gets remotely close to being full. I can put multiple entire anime TV series on there no problem. The only way it can be full is if you try to put every mp3 you have on there all at once. Simple answer, don't do that. Make and use playlists. Every morning manage it and sync it, and there's no problem.
  • I had a 16 gig iPhone 3G and now I have a 32 gig iPhone 4. It never ever even gets remotely close to being full. I can put multiple entire anime TV series on there no problem. The only way it can be full is if you try to put every mp3 you have on there all at once. Simple answer, don't do that. Make and use playlists. Every morning manage it and sync it, and there's no problem.
    I just sync certain artists.
  • I'm not going to advise an iPhone purchase (not a huge fan personally), but I recommend getting a device that does as many functions as possible and as a result allows you to consolidate the devices you carry and maintain. For example, a long while ago I got a blackberry and instantly I no longer carried a MP3 player because the blackberry could do that. Then I got a Droid and now I no longer carry a laptop almost anywhere (even on trips) because I can do most of the things I did on my laptop on my Droid now.
  • If you get another smart phone, that will duplicate 95% of the functionality of the iPod Touch. You should get another smart phone and then the iPod Nano as a music player. I played with one in a store the other day, and it's really cute and fun.
  • I have some 3.8GB of apps on my iPhone but that includes my ~1.5GB research library. The rest is about 100 apps, roughly half of which are games.

I would add to Luke's solution that, as far as avoiding duplication of features, you can also go iPod touch and any cheap candybar phone that can tether.
  • If you get another smart phone, that will duplicate 95% of the functionality of the iPod Touch. You should get another smart phone and then the iPod Nano as a music player. I played with one in a store the other day, and it's really cute and fun.
    I think the previous iPod nano is better than the newest one. The newest one could work a lot better if they made it a little smaller and put a strap on it to make it a wrist-watch. Also wireless headphones. The previous nano had a video camera and I would try to get one cheap instead of the current one.

But yeah, right now I would either get iPhone 4 or other smartphone + iPod nano.
  • edited September 2010
    Are there any cheap candybar phones that offer wifi tethering? I don't think bluetooth tethering will work on an iPod Touch.

Also, I probably should have stated in my original post that a large part of my wanting an iPhone/iPod Touch was for the screen size and the apps. I'd rather have one of those two than a Nano.
    Post edited by MagL33To on
  • The LG Ally is $50 with VZW contract. It's an Android phone that Engadget liked.
  • The iPod Nano Watch Is Here and It Is Glorious

There are at least 3 companies I know of making straps compatible with the new Nano's clip. Solves 1 problem, but on the downside it is still just a bit large.
  • The LG Ally is $50 with VZW contract. It's an Android phone thatEngadgetliked.
    That phone doesn't appear to be available in the UK.
  • I was surprised at how well such a tiny touch screen worked on the iPod Nano. Maybe I shouldn't have been, because that's the kind of thing Apple does really well. However, making it smaller, the size of a wrist watch, would probably render it unusable.
  • edited September 2010
    However, making it smaller, the size of a wrist watch, would probably render it unusable.
    It's the perfect size to recase it, dieselpunk it up, and make a replica of Brock Samson's videowatch from the Venture Brothers. It's so small that you could just build the watch to hold the iPod, and remove it when necessary; you could even put together a tiny battery pack and tuck it in the watch to extend battery life.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • I meant the screen size.
  • I meant the screen size.
    I know, I was just throwing out a project idea. It's a cool device.
  • My iPhone is fucked. I now have two options:

1. Buy a replacement iPhone 3GS now for about 200 euros, or cheaper if I can find one unlocked and second hand (unlikely). Then in the summer, when the new iPhone comes out, get the new iPhone for free.

2. Wait until the 24th of February without a phone, and then is the earliest date I can get a new iPhone for free, but it'll be the iPhone 4. It'll then be another 2 years before I can get a free upgrade to an iPhone 6 or whatever is out by then.

What do you think? I'm in no hurry either way. I'm quite enjoying not having a phone, but will need one for work in the coming months.
  • The last time I was in a similar predicament, I bought the cheapest POS regular cell phone that would work on the network and used it until such a time as I could properly address the issue.
  • I really like the idea of the John's Phone, I just wish the screen on the top could handle simple SMS.
  • Why not get a shit phone, or use a old one, just so you can be easily reachable, then getting a iPhone 5 for free when it's out? Or would you need to give them a older iPhone for the getting-one-for-free thing to work?
  • John's Phone is just hipster tech.
  • Why not get a shit phone, or use a old one, just so you can be easily reachable, then getting a iPhone 5 for free when it's out? Or would you need to give them a older iPhone for the getting-one-for-free thing to work?
    Because the way I need the phone for work, a shit phone won't cut it. I have all my contacts in one place, along with email, web browsing, etc, also my calendar and notes and everything. Some of that I can duplicate on my iPod Touch, but when I'm traveling I can't rely on a shitty phone, certainly not one without email functionality.
    The last time I was in a similar predicament, I bought the cheapest POS regular cell phone that would work on the network and used it until such a time as I could properly address the issue.
    I'm not sure how I'm not properly addressing the issue now. What is going to change in the next month?
  • I am about to make the plunge and grab me a Galaxy S phone (new google phone T-Moble has). It was Andorid 2.3 (Gingerbread) has no middleware installed on it, and after two years can swap out the card to a Metro PCS like service for continued use. Finally going to make the jump to the smartphone elite.
  • I'm not sure how I'm not properly addressing the issue now. What is going to change in the next month?
    It really depends on individual circumstances. When I did that, I was three months away from ending a contract I didn't wish to extend. I just needed minimal phone service until a specific relatively near deadline. Your situation is obviously different. ;^)

My Pre is barely holding on. I could get a new Droid RIGHT NOW at almost no cost if I extend my Sprint contract, or I can wait until June and be free.
  • My Pre is barely holding on. I could get a new Droid RIGHT NOW at almost no cost if I extend my Sprint contract, or I can wait until June and be free.
    Rym, it's time to take the pre out back with a shotgun...
    I am about to make the plunge and grab me a Galaxy S phone (new google phone T-Moble has). It was Andorid 2.3 (Gingerbread) has no middleware installed on it, and after two years can swap out the card to a Metro PCS like service for continued use. Finally going to make the jump to the smartphone elite.
    If this comes to Verizon it will be my next phone.
  • Rym, it's time to take the pre out back with a shotgun...
    The ONLY problems I have with the Pre are the lack of app support and the low-resolution last-generation screen. In almost all other aspects, I find it superior or equal to other options.
  • If this comes to Verizon it will be my next phone.
    You talking about the Galaxy S in general or the features? Verizon already has the Galaxy S, branded as the Fascinate. Right now they're shipping them with Android 2.1 on them and there's an update that will get them some of the features of 2.2, but they're not up to Froyo yet. If you're inclined you can root it and get it up to 2.2. As far as the features Coldguy listed, you can forget them. Verizon phones are always going to ship with some kind of bloatware installed.
  • You talking about the Galaxy S in general or the features?
    I'm talking about a Google Nexus S. Rooting is fun and all (I did it to a Moto Droid), but a pain if you have a warranty issue. The only bloatware my original Droid shipped with was Facebook. If I can get a Nexus S similarly setup on Verizon then I will be a very happy man.
  • So I got my iPhone today. It is very shiny. I've spent way too much time already playing around with it. I have much more to do and applications/settings/ringtones to update.

I don't think I will get a screen protector, but just a case to protect the back of it.

/isacoolkidnow
  • edited February 2011
    Screen protectors aren't necessary. That glass screen is scratchproof against just about anything that wouldn't crack it anyway.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Screen protectors aren't necessary. That glass screen is scratchproof against just about anything that wouldn't crack it anyway.
    Double true. My 3G and my 4 have both been naked with no problems. Just don't do anything really stupid, and you'll be alright.
  • Screen protectors aren't necessary. That glass screen is scratchproof against just about anything that wouldn't crack it anyway.
    Double true. My 3G and my 4 have both been naked with no problems. Just don't do anything really stupid, and you'll be alright.
    Naked 3GS for over a year and a half now and only two quarter-inch scratches. You can't really even see these scratches once the phone is lit up unless you are looking for them or there is really bad glare.

Time to start getting yourself some apps! The only thing you won't discover in most of the internets "essentials" lists or iTune's App Store Hall of Fame is that the iOS has become a haven for ports of great board games. Carcassone is the shit. Settlers of Catan is a decent implementation as well. Other ones on my phone right now are Roll Through the Ages, Zombie Dice, Zooloretto, Neuroshima Hex, and Wabash Cannonball (Chicago Express).