This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What book are you reading now/have finished?

Comments

• Libraries are badass.
    Yesssss, yessssss more people need to realize this so there will be more funding for libraries so I can get a PAYING JOB.

But seriously, libraries are way awesome. They are why I have spent three years of my life and a few thousand dollars so I can convince people like you the same thing. And now that you are in the door let me tell you one more secret about the library. Librarians? AMAZING resources. Have a random research question? Ask a librarian! We are trained extensively in research and will be able to help you find resources you didn't know existed. I lay there in my sleep thinking about subject headings. Also, if you want a book recommendation, ask one of the librarians. OMG, I LOVE reader services SO MUCH. I spend my days reading and writing book reviews (Nancy Pearl is my hero). It's taken my husband a while to realize that he has this resource available to him, but now, unless he has a book already in mind, he comes to me for recommendations. I'm not always right but I'm better than chance.

So yeah... libraries and librarians rule. :D

/me puts down her library pom poms and runs back to the stacks
  • The Price of Altruism by Oren Harman.

The life-story/evolution of man's attempt to mathematically deduce the origins and functions of altruism, a practice that would seem ridiculous in a world ruled by natural selection.

It's pretty heavy on conceptual, abstract math, but it's a fascinating read nonetheless.
  • edited September 2010
    You've got a long way to go if you're half way through book 6.
    Word. Winter's Heart is just the worst.

In related news, book 13 is out in November, I believe.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • edited September 2010
    I used to read a lot as a grade school kid, but in college I was too busy to read much. Now that I have a job, I don't have (much) homework, I want to read again. I just read The Lies of Locke Lamora because Andrew was reading it for the book club, and it looked pretty good.

I really want to find more books and series to get into, and I figured this would be a good thread to ask for suggestions. :D Can anyone suggest to me some good solid fantasy/sci-fi-ish books? I figured you book connoisseurs could help me out, bc I don't want to just go pick out generic books that have random dragons and swords on the covers.
    I don't care about dragons and elves and wizards and crap, as long as the story/plot is really really good. I also like mysteries and books that make you think. :)
    I don't like books that go way into politics and lengthy descriptions of the world (I never could get into LOTR because of that...).
    Post edited by Lyddi on
  • I found the Sword of Truth series to be a gripping tale with an excellent story and plot, and a minimum of political or worldbuilding discussion. They're definitely on the more intelligent end of the fantasy spectrum too, unlike something like The Prince of Nothing.
  • I found the Sword of Truth series to be a gripping tale with an excellent story and plot, and a minimum of political or worldbuilding discussion. They're definitely on the more intelligent end of the fantasy spectrum too, unlike something like The Prince of Nothing.
    Thank you, I will look into it!
    I admit, I tried to read the Darkness that Comes Before, and I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I know many people on this forum love it though... >_>
  • I admit, I tried to read the Darkness that Comes Before, and I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I know many people on this forum love it though... >_>
    How about Daemon by Daniel Suarez.
  • edited September 2010
    I found the Sword of Truth series to be a gripping tale with an excellent story and plot, and a minimum of political or worldbuilding discussion. They're definitely on the more intelligent end of the fantasy spectrum too, unlike something like The Prince of Nothing.
    I admit, I tried to read the Darkness that Comes Before, and I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I know many people on this forum love it though... >_>
    No, don't!! I was totally messing with you. Sword of Truth is arguably the OPPOSITE of everything I said. I was hoping there would be a massive backlash against me before you read that.

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is a great postcyberpunk noir read with some really cool concepts. Real talk this time.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
    No, don't!! I was totally messing with you. Sword of Truth is arguably the OPPOSITE of everything I said. I was hoping there would be a massive backlash against me before you read that.

Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan is a great postcyberpunk noir read with some really cool concepts. Real talk this time.
    I'm so confused now. I guess I responded to your post too quickly (I am really bored at work right now).
    This is why I'm asking for suggestions, bc Amazon tells me that every book I look up is awesome, but I don't really know if its true or not.
    How aboutDaemonby Daniel Suarez.
    This looks really cool.. I'm trusting you. :) I'm going to go read the preview chapters on his website before I buy it.
  • edited September 2010
    Basically, disregard Sword of Truth. I was trolling.

Do read Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. Especially if you're interested in either Daemon or Ghost in the Shell. It's a very good book.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Basically,disregardSword of Truth.I was trolling.

Do readAltered Carbonby Richard Morgan.Especially if you're interested in either Daemon or Ghost in the Shell. It's a very good book.
    I LOVE Ghost in the Shell... Alright you have me convinced. :P
  • If you're in the market for witty fantasy and words you don't know read anything by Terry Pratchett. It's also hard to go wrong with Neil Gaiman. Or you could combine them and red Good Omens.
  • edited September 2010
    If you're in the market for witty fantasy and words you don't know readanythingby Terry Pratchett.
    The recent couple of Discworld movies are also available on Netflix. I highly super duper recommend both.

EDIT: Yes, I know, not a book.

I started reading Kushiel's Dart, the first book in Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel's Legacy series, at Nuri's urging. I've yet to finish it, but I find it to be quite enjoyable. It's similar to The Prince of Nothing in that it's a heavily stylized form of writing with a wall of Proper Nouns that doesn't try to be anything but itself. I've found that this is the sort of fantasy novel I like; once you stop pretending that you're Tolkien, and stop writing about your fucking D&D; game, your fantasy writing gets a lot more interesting.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I'll throw in a few more suggestions once I get home, but I'd like to put in suggestions for Gibson's Neuromancer (the granddaddy of Cyberpunk) and The Difference Engine (steampunk meets cyberpunk).
  • If anyone on this forum hasn't read absolutely everything by Gibson, you should stop whatever it is you're doing and remedy that problem. I'm revoking all of your geek cred otherwise. And yes, I have the authority to do that.
  • If anyone on this forumhasn'tread absolutely everything by Gibson, you should stop whatever it is you're doing and remedy that problem. I'm revoking all of your geek cred otherwise. And yes, I have the authority to do that.
    Truth.
  • If anyone on this forumhasn'tread absolutely everything by Gibson, you should stop whatever it is you're doing and remedy that problem. I'm revoking all of your geek cred otherwise. And yes, I have the authority to do that.
    Oh noes! Actually, I think I read The Difference Engine for school once, although I don't remember much from it.
  • The Price of Altruism by Oren Harman.

The life-story/evolution of man's attempt to mathematically deduce the origins and functions of altruism, a practice that would seem ridiculous in a world ruled by natural selection.

It's pretty heavy on conceptual, abstract math, but it's a fascinating read nonetheless.
    Once you realize that natural selections acts on genes rather than animals everything becomes wonderfully clear. It's not one animal helping another out, it's those animal genes looking after number one. Themselves. Anyway, everyone should check out 'The Selfish Gene" by Dawkins, it's a quite wonderful book.
    I think I might actually read The Difference Engine. I have a lot of free time that I didn't expect to have this quarter and I've been wanting to get back into non-required reading for a while.
  • These days, I read mostly non-fiction and leave fiction for audio books.
  • I admit, I tried to read the Darkness that Comes Before, and I couldn't get past the first few chapters. I know many people on this forum love it though... >_>
    How aboutDaemonby Daniel Suarez.
    Pile of wank. Don't bother.
  • edited September 2010

But seriously, libraries are way awesome. They are why I have spent three years of my life and a few thousand dollars so I can convince people like you the same thing. And now that you are in the door let me tell you one more secret about the library. Librarians? AMAZING resources. Have a random research question? Ask a librarian! We are trained extensively in research and will be able to help you find resources you didn't know existed. I lay there in my sleep thinking about subject headings. Also, if you want a book recommendation, ask one of the librarians. OMG, I LOVE reader services SO MUCH. I spend my days reading and writing book reviews (Nancy Pearl is my hero). It's taken my husband a while to realize that he has this resource available to him, but now, unless he has a book already in mind, he comes to me for recommendations. I'm not always right but I'm better than chance.
    I may have to do this. After returning Anansi Boys, I realized just how many books there are in the library, and was really disappointed about the lack of search functionality. But now I realize it's just biologically implemented in librarian form.

Also, holy shit, I can get more than one. I checked out a Wizard of Earthsea and American Gods today. I read a Wizard of Earthsea every free moment today and am relatively close to finishing it. At this rate my only concern is...what if I read all the books, and there are no more books left? What then? How long do you think it takes to write more?
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • At this rate my only concern is...what if I read all the books, and there are no more books left? What then? How long do you think it takes to write more?
    All the Earthsea books or all the books in the library?
  • Has anyone read A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin? It's being turned into a series by HBO, and it's already a board game.

Trailer:
  • edited September 2010
    Has anyone readA Game of Thronesby George R.R. Martin? It's being turned into aseries by HBO, and it's already aboard game.
    Rym and I played that board game. It's alright, even though I knew nothing about Game of Thrones other than the fact that it is one of those popular fantasy franchises.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It's alright
    Yeah. It has some fundamental flaws, but the concept was solid.
  • edited September 2010
    All the Earthsea books or all the books in the library?
    All the books. Or, at least, all of the good ones that interest me. How many can there be?
    Post edited by Xefas on
  • Finished A Wizard of Earthsea. I'm reading American Gods. And...I'm kind of confused. I think an Arab man just had gay sex with an Efreet. It's not exactly what I was expecting. Still good, though.

Does anyone have some suggestions for what to read after this? I like fantasy books. And not in the "Stars Wars is technically fantasy" way, but more in the "I enjoy aesthetics that involve dragons" way. My favorite series of books is probably the Temeraire series of Napoleon-era Englishmen with dragons. My favorite non-Anime show is probably Rome.

I don't suppose there's a book out there that has Romans + Dragons in it?

My current queue has: American Gods, Tongues of Serpents, Neverwhere, Good Omens, The Lies of Locke Lamora (late, I know), and Tombs of Atuan
  • but more in the "I enjoy aesthetics that involve dragons" way
    There is no shortage of such books.
  • but more in the "I enjoy aesthetics that involve dragons" way
    There is no shortage of such books.
    Sturgeon's Law, Scott.