This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100916 - PAX Prime 2010 - The Con

edited September 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights, we conclude our coverage of PAX Prime 2010 with our coverage of PAX Prime 2010! In the brief news, how much did Mario really sell? Also, the author of the Anarchist's Cookbook is sorry.

Download MP3

Comments

• Also, theauthor of the Anarchist's Cookbook is sorry.
    Wow, this is fascinating. Although, not that he will ever succeed in getting it taken out of print, the book has such historical importance at this point that it definitely shouldn't be.
  • I first encountered the Anarchist Cookbook online, where it was a loose collection of txts that changed depending on where you found it and who was doing the curating.

It never even occurred to me that it used to be a cohesive book, with a message and an original author.

This is just like all the people who are a few years younger than me, and got the impression from poorly labeled filesharing mp3 libraries that Weird Al Yankovic was this incredibly productive cyborg who has made thousands of songs, skits and parodies he never touched in his life.
  • It means I am a Star Trek nerd look at me do the thing
    I lol'ed at the one. And yes I'm a Star Trek geek.
  • Not PoN:OTG, but LotR:OTG is good enough for me.
  • Also I hope Rym is right for a possible PAX in Austin. Oh god yes let this come to be truth.
  • edited September 2010
    Also I hope Rym is right for a possible PAX in Austin. Oh god yes let this come to be truth.
    Sooo...What would that be? PAX South? PAX West-ish? PAX More-west-than-PAX-East-but-still-not-PAX-Prime?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Also I hope Rym is right for a possible PAX in Austin. Oh god yes let this come to be truth.
    Sooo...What would that be? PAX More-west-than-PAX-East-but-still-not-PAX-Prime?
    Pax South.
  • Pax South.
    PAX East is now PAX Boston. So I imagine PAX Austin.

PAX Prime will be a glorious Rome, seat to an Empire of Paces unmatched in our day.
  • Rome will burn. But the Eastern Empire will rule on far after the fires burn out :-p
  • Rome will burn. But the Eastern Empire will rule on far after the fires burn out :-p
    Oh snap!
    Oh snap!
    http://twitter.com/ohsnapattack/
  • Shout out back at you. It was fun to get to meet some of the crew at the after-dinner.
  • edited September 2010
    What you missed from the TOTD thread.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • What you missed from the TOTD thread.
    I read somewhere that they had definitively ruled that out. We'l see.
  • The comment made by Gabe N. was made some weeks before that turned up.
  • The guy with the fuzzy blond hair in the top ten games panel was Chris Hecker.
  • The guy with the fuzzy blond hair in the top ten games panel wasChris Hecker.
    Does he have more hair now?
  • So I imagine PAX Austin.
    Oh man, PAX + Stubbs Barbecue? I don't think I'd ever make it out of texas again.
  • Man, I pray for a PAX Europe. Or you could call it PAX Europa or PAX Romana if you hosted it in Rome.
  • edited September 2010
    To be fair to IGN and their female writers panel, is there one top list out there that both Rym and Scott would approve? Does anyone ever LOVE a top list?

OK, let me make it easier: has there ever been a top list that recognized Counterstrike and had it at a respectable rank?
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • The guy with the fuzzy blond hair in the top ten games panel was Chris Hecker.
    Does he have more hair now?
    Is that an in joke? Rym asked who he was on the podcast, and I thought you'd enjoy that "the only one who knew what the fuck he was talking about" at the top ten panel is a dev (and a pretty exceptional one at that), not a journo. In fact, Totilo is the only person from the top ten panel who is in the gaming press. Croal is a consultant (although he does write for Edge once in a blue moon), and the rest are devs.
  • Man, I pray for a PAX Europe. Or you could call it PAX Europa or PAX Romana if you hosted it in Rome.
    Das PAX in Berlin
    Le PAX in Paris
    JaPAX in Japan
    Pence Arcade Expo in the U.K.
  • One-pence coins are called pennies. Pence Arcade Expo would translate to Cent Arcade Expo in American. It's still a clever idea, but it bothers the pedant in me.
  • Arcadey in the U.K.
  • PAXific - Maui

You know you want it.
  • edited September 2010
    PAXific - Maui

You know you want it.
    Thousands of Pasty gamer guys hitting the beach in shorts. And can you imagine what the heat will do to the overall gamer funk levels? DO NOT WANT.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • The lack of hygiene that a lot of gamers have ruins everything for everyone. I was at the Halo: Reach midnight release on campus, and it smelled like a goddamn abattoir.
  • Thousands of Pasty gamer guys hitting the beach in shorts.
    At least this heightens the chance of them touching the water over the course of the weekend.
    At least this heightens the chance of them touching the water over the course of the weekend.
    Grease is hydrophobic. The ocean will bounce right off of them.
    Grease is hydrophobic. The ocean will bounce right off of them.
    If all of them try getting in at once, a tidal wave will crush Japan. And then where will we get our games?