This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best GeekNights Episodes

edited September 2010 in GeekNights
I want to know which GeekNights episodes are the best. In this thread, just nominate them. Name any episodes you want. No limit, just nominate whatever. That should give us a good list which can then be voted on.

Comments

• Like overall favorite? Are there certain specifics to the best? Category-wise?
  • Masturbation
    Fast Karate for the GeekNights: MD Geist
  • edited September 2010
    Like overall favorite? Are there certain specifics to the best? Category-wise?
    Best, favorite, most popular, stupidest, funniest, most interesting, doesn't matter. Just pick whatever episodes you feel.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Underwear & Bathing and Showering come to mind in terms of funny episodes.
  • All the PAX episodes. ^____~ :P

Masturbation, The Barge, Hacking the Boardwalk, Thunderdome, and the building computer episodes.
  • Hmmm I've only been listening since the PAX East Survival Guide (which is how I found the podcast. A PAX topic made me choose this over the other podcasts that came up for the search term "geek"). Since then, I listened to only the Tuesday shows for a while, then started listeneing to all of them, and went back to listen to a few random older ones.

With those limits to my selection, I'd say the ones I've enjoyed the most were the Expansion Packs and Paranoia discussions.
  • H.P. Lovecraft, If we Were Supervillians, What do we Do?, How to Not Suck at Slacking Off, Getting into Animation, and the Super Soaker Revolution.
  • I can't remember the name of it, but it's the one where you "Jumped the Shark." It was about year ago give or take a few months.
  • Fast Karate
    Zombies
    Zombies 2
    Zombies 3
  • Tribes 2, The networking series.
  • Faking Your Death, Special 1: Bargle Bargle
  • Zombies
    Zombies 2
    Zombies 3
    How Not to Suck at X, Logical Fallacies, How X Works (Time sync, internet, etc...)

Pretty much anything you could package up in a 12 cd package and sell under the title of "Geeknight Self Help and Inspirational Series".
  • You guys are just so excited about PAX that even when the con was problematic for me I loved the episodes. The enthusiasm is contagious.
  • edited September 2010
    Everyone took the ones I enjoyed/found most interesting! For now I add: Special 3: FANboy and the Steve Factor, How to Fix Anime Conventions, Epiphanies, The Origins episodes, All Q&A; episodes, What Do We Do, Monty Phython, Underwear?, Worst Podcast Contest, Geek Profiles and lastly, the one with that bad fan mail.

All of these in quotes are ones I give another vote:
    Logical Fallacies
    Faking Your Death, Special 1: Bargle Bargle
    Zombies, Zombies 2, Zombies 3
    Masturbation, The Barge, Hacking the Boardwalk, Thunderdome.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Spooky Games, Pokemon, LEGO, Worst Week, and these:
    Masturbation, Fast Karate for the GeekNights: MD Geist
    H.P. Lovecraft, If we Were Supervillians, How to Not Suck at Slacking Off, Super Soaker Revolution
    Faking Your Death, Special 1: Bargle Bargle
    Logical Fallacies
    Epiphanies, The Origins episodes, Monty Phython, Underwear?, Worst Podcast Contest
  • about 2 years ago you guys tackled the Midwestern family that had their daughter die from a disease that modern medicine could have cured.
    It evolved into an argument for the moral implications of atheism, how it does not mean "immoral."
  • What Do We Do
    I think this is the one That Which Yoes is talking about. It is one that stood out for me too. I even remember where I was when I was listening to it.
  • How Computers Work
  • I just want to say I think it's weird that people like the "how computers work" episodes since we really felt like they were failures without visual aid.
  • I just want to say I think it's weird that people like the "how computers work" episodes since we really felt like they were failures without visual aid.
    But really, if you think about it, very few places make that kind of information even slightly accessable to the normal person.
    But really, if you think about it, very few places make that kind of information even slightly accessable to the normal person.
    It probably helps that when you speak of it as if you were speaking to an idiot, that often makes it quite easy to pick up and conceptualise. I was once told, "The art of teaching is not just to speak to someone as if they were an idiot, but to do so in a manner that doesn't offend them."
  • It probably helps that when you speak of it as if you were speaking to an idiot, that often makes it quite easy to pick up and conceptualise. I was once told, "The art of teaching is not just to speak to someone as if they were an idiot, but to do so in a manner that doesn't offend them."
    QFT.
  • No one has said the Luke crane interviews. I Like toughs ones a lot.
    I'm an auditory learner, not a visual learner. Had I had access to all my college courses in MP3 format, I would never have stepped into a classroom.
  • edited September 2010
    Rounded up several favourites from each day. Hope this isn't too many.

Mondays:
    - Pseudoscience
    - How Computers Work (and other "these are the basics" episodes)
    - Apple Fanboyism and Geek Boyfriends (a.k.a.: the one with Richard and Allison from Movies You Should See)
    - April Fools Day on the Intenet
    - Internet history episodes (The Prehistoric Internet, The Post-Historic Internet, Ye Olde Internete, Internet Ruins)
    - Chips and Salsa (and Robots)
    - Stealing Wifi
    - Open Everything NYC 2009
    - Use Your Tech!
    - New HTPC and People Don't Read
    - Cyberization

Tuesdays:
    - Interview with Luke Crane
    - Silly Tabletop RPGs
    - Getting Into German Board Gaming/Getting Into Role Playing
    - Stop Whining!
    - The Burning Wheel
    - How to Not Suck at Settlers of Catan
    - Collectible Games
    - Risk
    - PAX '08 Pt. 1-3
    - The Little Engine That Could Kill
    - Retro Arcade Museum
    - MMORPGs - D&D Online

Wednesdays:
    - All the Scott Pilgrim episodes (the movie episode is a Thursday, but whatever)
    - Special 3: FANboy and the Steve Factor
    - V for Vendetta episodes (the movie one is in Thursday again)
    - Anime Openers and Closers
    - Shoujo Kakumei Utena
    - Watchmen
    - Special 014 - This Is Not A Charity!
    - I Wanted To Like Naruto
    - Hentai
    - Kick-Ass
    - Otaking Interview
    - The Surrogates
    - Detroit Metal City
    - Comics Are For Boys
    - How To Fix Anime Conventions
    - Spell of the Unown

Thursdays:
    - Shaving and Emily
    - Conventions Pt. 1-3 (some of the advice is slightly outdated, but most is still relevant)
    - Masturbation
    - Worst Week: People In History
    - Hacking the Boardwalk
    - The Origin of the Front Row Crew
    - The Vision and the Bamboo
    - How to Not Suck at Talking
    - Origins Week: Atheism
    - The Barge
    - Thunderdome
    - Rym and Jury Duty
    - Professionalism
    - Worst Podcast Contest
    - The Super Soaker Revolution
    - Crackpot Conspiracy Theories
    - NIMBYs and BANANAs
    - Logical Fallacies
    - Underwear?
    - Untitled
    - What do we do?
    - Geek Profiles episodes
    - Waiting in Line (either one, but the later one was better)
    - How to Not Suck at Restaurants
    - Bicycle Thieves

Book Club:
    - The Prince of Nothing: The Darkness That Comes Before
    - Snow Crash
    - Kavalier and Clay
    - The Lies of Locke Lamora

All:
    - Questions Week episodes
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I think Evangelion:Final Thoughts is probably my favorite, its the only episode I've ever listened to more than once. Even though trashing something is always funny, I think the show works best when you guys are talking passionately about something you really like. I already liked the show when I watched it, but after putting this episode on when I was walking home one day, I was in such a "fuck yeah, Eva!" mode that I spent like an hour reading up on random crap about the show. I kinda got the same feeling after listening to the Prince of Nothing episode.

I know its not an unpopular opinion, but I'd love to see more spoiler-y Final Thoughts episodes. Or at least some Review/Final Thoughts combo episodes.
  • In terms of Funniest, I have to nominate the "Spell of the Unown" episode. There were not one, but multiple, points in that episode that made me laugh so hard I became too physically debilitated to continue listening, and had to pause the show as to not miss anything, while I quite literally ROFLed (I sit on the floor while using my laptop, as I don't actually own a chair).

For most interesting, I loved the Luke Crane interview and the Luke Crane/Jared Sorenson interview. I also love anything involving not a specific game, but the workings of games in general, such as the "Bidding Games" episode. Every time you say "We could totally get into awesome game theory stuff right now, and one day we will, but not right now" I weep. I weep.

(As an aside, I would pay serious money for-...well, I don't actually have money, but I would pirate the audio of your Game Mechanics and Mechanism Design panel so hard. Honestly, I'll probably invest in a chair, some lightbulbs, and toiletpaper that doesn't harm me before I buy that sort of thing.)

Also Logical Fallacies, Mouse Guard, and all the "Final Thoughts" stuff.
  • A few that stand out to me:
    - The Barge (Just a funny episode in general.)
    - Worst Podcast Contest (Same as above.)
    - Bicycle Thieves (The story of Rym getting his bike back was awesome.)
    - Spooky Games (Rym and Scott really had some great ideas on how to make games truly frightening in subtle ways, rather than relying on cheap scares.)
    - The Prince of Nothing: The Darkness That Comes Before (Made me go out and buy the book.)
  • To re-use the pun...

The episode that I think is the best, hands down, is the masturbation episode.
  • Not that I remember specifics from it, but the X-COM/Star Control II episode introduced me to two great old games.