This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comics worth reading

edited December 2006 in Manga/Comics
I always vote for Fantastic Four. I especially enjoy Ultimate Fantastic Four. But - neither of them need any promotion from me. Here is a comic that is relatively obscure but is definitely worth reading: http://www.exhibitapress.com/

Comments

• Mine are:
    Runaways
    Ultimate Spider-Man
    Astonishing X-men
    The Marvel Civil War mini series
    Ultimate Avengers
  • I like Ultimate Spider-Man, I've been keeping up with the trades. I also recommend the first 30 or so issues of Batgirl, before the original writer left it.
  • You guys are all underwear perverts.
  • Fables
    Y: The Last Man
    Girl Genius
    Sandman
    Lucifer
    Transmetropolitan

The Ultimates is worth reading if you like perverted underwear perverts.
  • Another kinda obscure one: Barry Ween
  • Fables, Daredevil, Batman, Detective Comics, Spider-Man, 52, Civil War. There are so many different ones.
  • My favorite comics are the ones with lots of words and no pictures. Check out "A Prayer for Owen Meany" or "The Godfather."
  • Anything written by Joss Whedon, Brain K Vaughn or Kevin Smith (his Daredevil run almost made me start reading the comic)

The Red Star,
    Books of Magic (a Harry Potter clone, that pre-dates Harry Potter and is significantly more mature and awesome)
    Generally for underwear pervert stuff the Ultimate line of Marvels is pretty damn good.
  • Sandman (and other Neil Gaiman works), Lucifer, Watchmen (and everything else Alan Moore).
  • I've been reading:

Powers
    Invincible
    Ex Machina

Others that I'd recommend:

Transmetropolitan
    Preacher
    100 Bullets
    The Red Star
  • I'm currently reading:
    Ultimate Spiderman
    New Avengers -I haven't been reading Civil War, so its been making a hole lot of not much sense lately...
    Justice League of America
    Wolverine Origins (Terrible art, and the story has been a bit uninteresting)
    Spiderman (loves) Mary Jane - From the girls range of comics. I find it fun to read. Its got a fresh continuity, and they have done some interesting things with it.
    Powers - is fantastic.

I had a couple of other things I was reading (Batman/Superman and supergirl, but then Crisis hit, and I haven't read that, so Nothing makes sense).

Girl genius is one of my absolute favourites, but I don't count it as a comic book anymore, since it's a web-comic, and If I count that one, then I have to count a quarter of the other 150 web-comics I read that are published. Phil Foglio has been my god since long before he started making Girl Genius, so its also a bit of a given that I would like GG :P

Honestly, I don't know how much of my list here is "worth reading". A lot of it I only read because of DCP.
    Lately I've been reading through House of M. Its really getting tedious...
  • edited April 2007
    Most of my suggestions are Vertigo, because Vertigo is awesome.
    • The Sandman
    • Watchmen- greatest super hero comic ever
    • A History of Violence
    • V for Vendetta
    • The Killing Joke- really freaky Alan Moore Batman one shot
    • Johnny The Homicidal Maniac
    • I Feel Sick
    • Alex- my personal favorite indie comic about an alcoholic (this site contains a review)
    • Fables
    • The Books of Magic (original trade paperback, not the complete series)
    • Sloth- one of my favorite Vertigo comics (Sloth's site)
    • Dark Knight Returns- kick ass Batman comic
    • Maus
    • A Contract With God
    Post edited by whatever on
  • I agree that the Vertigo books are really good... Fables, Y, Ex Machina are ones I get
    The Ultimate stuff I like too... not the greatest, but definitely solid

My favorite all-time read is the Scott Pilgrim series (I so don't consider it manga)
    My favorite superhero book would be Dark Knight Returns

So yeah pick up Scott Pilgrim!!!
  • Scott Pilgrim is awesome, I will also highly recommend that. I picked it up after the GN episode about it, and I was not disappointed at all.

I'll also recommend the X23 miniseries, which is really good. The art is top notch, and the story is really well done.
  • Oh please, folks. Civil War #7 ruined everything that came before, around and after. It should have ended with Iron Man killing Cap. It ended with a bullshit cop out and then Quesada killed Cap with a sniper's bullet. The man fought the Nazis, but was killed by a bullet. Lame. The only good thing to come out of Civil War is the emergence of Black Panther as a serious hero.
  • Oh please, folks. Civil War #7 ruined everything that came before, around and after. It should have ended with Iron Man killing Cap. It ended with a bullshit cop out and then Quesada killed Cap with a sniper's bullet. The man fought the Nazis, but was killed by a bullet. Lame. The only good thing to come out of Civil War is the emergence of Black Panther as a serious hero.
    Black Panther was always awesome, where have you been?
  • I wanted to add a few titles to the list. As far as Batman is concerned, I would immediately suggest one would pick up Batman Hush, by Loeb, Lee, and Williams. It is perhaps the most visually stunning Batman series to ever be printed, despite its apparent echo of the 1980's style Batman.

Further more, I bet tuttle knows about this one, for it is quite a phenomenon outside of the United States and the Far East realm of comics*, but the Adventures of Tintin series by Hérge is astounding. The drawings are so immersive and every object is drawn with laborious precision, making fantastic plots are just an amazing extra.

Hope one would enjoy, I'm going to walk to my local comic shop and give a few of those other titles a try.

*graphic novel, manga...pulp...whatever floats your boat
  • Black Panther was always awesome, where have you been?
    I never said he wasn't awesome. You're right, he's totally awesome. But now he's head of the Fantastic Four and hitting Storm. Not a bad upgrade.
    I never said he wasn't awesome. You're right, he's totally awesome. But now he's head of the Fantastic Four and hitting Storm. Not a bad upgrade.
    He is? WTF? This is why I don't read underwear pervert comics anymore.
  • I wanted to add a few titles to the list. As far as Batman is concerned, I would immediately suggest one would pick up Batman Hush, by Loeb, Lee, and Williams. It is perhaps the most visually stunning Batman series to ever be printed, despite its apparent echo of the 1980's style Batman.
    I have been unable to get into reading any more Batman series' after reading DKR. Dark Knight really just gave me a great ending for Batman that I wasn't able to find in any other Batman series. I don't want to ruin it now by reading anything Batman related besides some of the rocking one-shots like The Killing Joke.

Speaking of one-shots, I hope that everyone here has read Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on Serious Earth. It's the most twisted Batman one shot that I have ever read. The incredible visuals and chaotic storytelling add immensely to it's overall awesomeness. It's a must read for all fans.
    He is? WTF? This is why I don't read underwear pervert comics anymore.
    Yeah. Sue and Reed are taking a break to keep their marriage together (LAAAAAME) and thus, the team needed new leadership. Enter Black Panther and Storm. Lame entrance, but it could end up being a cool change.
  • I recently started reading the Stephen King comic adaptation of the Gunslinger series. It is good in that adv content is waaaaaay down and the art is very nice.

I also still read the Manga "Eden" and the comic "Wasteland"...
  • Does it seem weird to anyone else that the Fantastic Four would be lead by anyone other than one of the original Fantastic Four? Newcomers! What?

Also the post about Tintin reminded me about Asterix. Aaaw yeah, Asterix! I love how that series is inked and all the awesome names. :B
  • Does it seem weird to anyone else that the Fantastic Four would be lead by anyone other than one of the original Fantastic Four? Newcomers! What?
    Well, it's happened before. I generally don't like the stories without the whole original group so much, because I really enjoy the relationships. It's almost like super powered soap opera. X-Men was like that before it became so popular and bled over into so many different titles that I couldn't figure out what was going on anymore.

The exception to my generally not liking replacements to the FF was when She-Hulk joined during John Byrne's run. I really, REALLY like She-Hulk, and she assimilated into the group very well.

These days, Ultimate FF is pretty much the only comic I read, besides maybe Lucifer or Hellblazer.
  • While listening to recent episodes, I've been very happy to hear that Scott respects Will Eisner. He has said that he doesn't pay much attention to U.S. comics, so I wonder if he or anyone else has seen Darwyn Cooke's new Spirit stories. Here is some of the art:

Darwyn Cooke can even make underwear pervert heroes cool:

• I bought and read issue one of Cooke's new Spirit. It's not bad. I'll probably get at least the first trade. Still, it doesn't give you that same feeling you get when you read the original. I'm interested to see if Cooke just tells underwear pervert Spirit stories, or if he tells human interest stories that barely have The Spirit in them at all. Eisner really wanted to just write the human interest stories, but the people with the money insisted on a masked hero, hence The Spirit.

Idea: Someone write a webcomic with Eisner-style human interest stories.
  • Eisner's A Contract With God nearly made me weep.
  • Eisner'sA Contract With Godnearly made me weep.
    Yeah, it does that. Read this also.
  • I like Spawn personally. But the best comics I have read yet are Watchmen, Preacher, and Usagi Yojimbo. I'm surprised I haven't see Usagi on anyone's list. It is a slow moving comic, but it has not only kept the same author since the begining (which is a really long time at this point), it has interesting characters and plots.
  • I've read the first couple volumes of Usagi Yojimbo.  It's very entertaining, but it's definitely not so stellar that I would reccomend it to someone.  For those who've not read it, it's an antropomorphic comic about a rabbit samurai and his adventures.  It always seemed rather bland to me - not something I would go out of my way to read.