This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The big Headphones VS. Earbuds debate!

Comments

• I just ordered some Sennheiser HD555's but they won't be here for some time. Are there other headphones that are similar in quality and price that I should think about whilst I still have time to cancel the order?
  • edited November 2008
    Have a look at what Audio-Technica has on offer. I have the ATH-AD700 (~$105 on Amazon) and love them.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I have American Audio 900 headphones (has a removable and replaceable screw-on line jack), Aiwa Headphones ( Bought them in 2003, and have not died yet!) and crappy 3 dollar ear buds now (for the 9 to 5, the Shure earbuds died.)
  • Earbuds! Headphones are too weighty. I have seen people all over the place who wear those things and I wonder how they do it?
  • edited July 2009
    Earbuds! Headphones are too weighty. I have seen people all over the place who wear those things and I wonder how they do it?
    Some people for some reason have no problem carrying heavy shit around. I know a guy at work who has
    • A gigantic 15"+ laptop that is not thin at all.
    • An iPhone AND a Zune because the Zune has many more gigs of storage, and he wants to carry around his entire music collection.
    • Big over the hear headphones.
    Personally, I am constantly trying to reduce my payload in any way possible.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I had a giant pair of Skull Candy headphones that easily covered my ears that I always used until the left side shorted out. They felt extremely light to me and could easily fold up and fit into one of my cargo pockets.
  • Some people use the big headphones as a fashion statement as well. At home I always go for the big headphones.
  • Some people use the big headphones as a fashion statement as well. At home I always go for the big headphones.
    Home is a different situation. If I wanted to listen to music at home, or maybe play a video game, but needed to be quiet, I would use big headphones instead of my 5.1 or my earbuds.
  • When I DJ, I use my moms Senheiser big poofy headphones because it can really keep my ears safe from the sound of the speakers. Normally, though, I use the earbuds that came with my cellphone.
  • When I DJ, I use my moms Senheiser big poofy headphones because it can really keep my ears safe from the sound of the speakers. Normally, though, I use the earbuds that came with my cellphone.
    Well, big headphones are obviously necessary for any sort of DJing or audio production work.
    Well, big headphones are obviously necessary for any sort of DJing or audio production work.
    Obvious how? Wouldn't in-ear isolation earbuds work as well? Are they less capable of faithfully reproducing the audio?
    Obvious how? Wouldn't in-ear isolation earbuds work as well? Are they less capable of faithfully reproducing the audio?
    Try plucking them out again and again every single time you have to talk to someone or every time you have to check that everything sounds fine, then sticking them back in every single time.
  • Big head-phones All The Way! Though I am a slave to the ear buds, I would much rather have the headphones. I'm just broke. But I have some really nice, cheap, ear buds that do the job nicely. It's (in my opinion) all about the sound quality! Yeah!
  • Going to give this a try, will post pictures when the foam gets here sometime this or next week.
  • I used to be firmly in the isolation earbuds camp because they're so portable and they fit in my pocket, I just went through them so quickly. One of the buds would stop working entirely, the connector would break, I'd lose the tips, etc. I just got myself a pair of Sennheiser HD 428s, and they're beautiful. Better audio quality for less money and they're a lot more comfortable and easy put on and take off.
  • I still prefer the Etymotics, but like Trogdor, the wires keeps breaking on them. Also, because my commute is not what it used to be, I rarely need portability anymore. Except for the rare occasion when I'm on an airplane or other long trip, I don't need to carry any headphones with me at all. If I still had a commute that involved listening to podcasts and/or music I would have bought the newer Etymotics with the supposed Kevlar cord. Instead, I got these for the office. They are exceptionally good for the price, and even though they are still bulky when folded up, it's not a hassle if it's only a few times a year when travelling long distance. 99% of the time, they will just stay on my desk at work.

AKG K 518 LE Limited Edition Folding Headphones - Green
  • I have these cheap little blue sony earbuds. I think earbuds is earbuds (meaning I dont mind buying 4-5 pairs a year). Now for gaming I just got some sweet headphones. Turtlebeach. Nice.
  • For use with my computer, I use my Sennheiser HD 280 Pro headphones. For use with my phone, which is my mp3 player as well, I use HTC's proprietary earbuds. They work well enough and we have a jillion of them.
  • Trogdor, those 428s look nice and I'm thinking of eventually buying them. Do they come apart to put away?
  • Trogdor, those 428s look nice and I'm thinking of eventually buying them. Do they come apart to put away?
    No, unfortunately not. They don't fold up at all, really, and they don't come with a carrying case. They still fit in my backpack just fine. Also, the wire is 3 meters long, and last time I measured the distance from my ears to my pocket, that's too long. Still great headphones, just be willing to overlook those issues if you decide to buy them.
  • Can we all agree that if you're going to get buds, they should be the ones that go into your ear, or was I just born without the magical cartilage that is supposed to hold those friggin apple earbuds?
  • Can we all agree that if you're going to get buds, they should be the ones that go into your ear, or was I just born without the magical cartilage that is supposed to hold those friggin apple earbuds?
    Yeah, that's pretty obvious, not just for purposes of holding them in your ear, but for purposes of not going deaf.
  • Ok, so those AKG headphones showed up today. They're really comfortable and such. The only problem is that the cord is very short. That's fine since I bought them specifically for use while sitting at a desk at work. Would not recommend for walking around.
  • edited September 2010
    Don't all AKG headphones come with those extender-cords? (Oh, and I prefer speakers when possible, but mostly use headphones)
    Post edited by Aria on
  • I prefer speakers when possible
  • I plug my ER6is into my USB soundcard and I had to turn the volume down to 0/100 to be able to use them. Will try and find a volume regulator.
    I don't think I'll risk Windows spazzing out and turning everything back up, so I've unplugged them.
  • I used to be firmly in the isolation earbuds camp because they're so portable and they fit in my pocket, I just went through them so quickly. One of the buds would stop working entirely, the connector would break, I'd lose the tips, etc. I just got myself a pair of Sennheiser HD 428s, and they'rebeautiful. Better audio quality for less money and they're a lot more comfortable and easy put on and take off.
    I'm thinking of getting over the ear headphones for when I use skype while I game with my friends. My microphone picks up my game and feeds it back to my friends. I've got some cheap behind the ear headphones right now that are digging into my ears and wearing earbuds that long drives me mentally insane. I can't describe it any other way, it doesn't hurt or anything, but after an hour or so I have to take them out.
  • If you're not moving around much, I'd recommend going with over the head, it's just more comfortable to rest the weight on the top of your head than on your ears.

I recently loosened my headphones about as far as they'd go without becoming loose to the point of moving around. This has completely alleviated the ear pain, even after using them for 6 hours straight.
  • I highly recommend supra-aural over-the-head headphones. My Senns, despite their minor issues, are super-comfortable.
  • I gotta say that since I started running earbuds are the way to go :O