This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rally to Restore Sanity/March to Keep Fear Alive

Comments

• I was not aware that they charged $19 a month to have a group. It's scary that people pay that much when you could easily get the same service elsewhere for free.
    Yeah, I was floored when I found out. Quick Google search informed me they went profitable in August 2009, on the backs of desperate people. I guess free breakfast doesn't pay for itself.
  • The MacRosses are planning on being there. ^_^
  • edited September 2010
    Does anyone have any cool moderate sign slogan Ideas? I was going to make a couple.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Does anyone have any cool moderate sign slogan Ideas? I was going to make a couple.
    Moderate? I am on the leftist fringe.
    Yea I was already going with "Citations needed"
  • Does anyone have any cool moderate sign slogan Ideas? I was going to make a couple.
    How about:

"I'm here because I had nothing better to do."

"Standing in big crowds for hours is awesome."

"I drove X miles to do nothing but stand here and cheer."

or, inspired by the t-shirt I bought from threadless

"I came outside today because the Internets is broken."
    How about "I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Would you like to discuss it over tea?"
    How about "I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Would you like to discuss it over tea?"
    Coffee BEER!
  • Whatever posters you make, use Courage Wolf or the Joseph Ducrex image.
  • Whatever posters you make, use Courage Luke or the Joseph Ducrex image
  • Well since a couple people that are associated with the FRC and/or forums in one way or another are going to be there, should we discuss a meetup or should we just do our own thing?
  • Well I'm meeting a lot of people there... we should find a place and a time early on the field and gather in that area. Trying to remember what I know about that area and what is a good place.. I know I'm going to park in Crystal city and then take a train in.
  • How about "I respectfully disagree with your opinion. Would you like to discuss it over tea?"
    I feel like it should either be snappy and to the point or ironically long winded. Something like "While I disagree with your opinion I respect you and your right to hold said opinion. Maybe we can share a cup of tea or a mug of beer and discuss our dissenting political viewpoints." or "What do we want? Reason! When do we want it? Pretty soon!".
  • edited September 2010
    "What do we want? Reason! When do we want it? Pretty soon!"
    How about "When it can be feasibly implemented?" That's more in the tongue-in-cheek long-winded vein.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I am definitely going :D
    I think it will be pretty epic! :P
    Take pictures!
    Take pictures!
    Should I make a Flickr group for this event so we can all post our pics in?
  • Apparently the east coasters around here can't detect a sarcastic response to a sarcastic comment. Obviously the east coast has a tech market, though funny no one mentioned Boston or the Research Triangle, which are the two biggest areas outside NY.
    I think the reason that west coast people think there's no tech scene in NY is because in NY we're actually fiscally responsible. In Silicon Valley you can goof off and get a few million from VCs because they are gambling on you being the next Facebook or Google
    You know, I would laugh here, but I'd actually feel bad about it. I'll just wait for you to actually talk to an angel or VC before I bother responding.
    In NY if you have no profits, you live on the street. In other words, there are plenty of tech jobs in NY. They just actually make you work 9-5, in an office, doing real work, for a real company that actually makes money.
    Yeah, it's not like we have most of the hardware and software companies in the personal computing, mobile computing, entertainment, networking, or internet services markets. Oh wait.

To go back to the topic at hand, my main reason for not going is that I simply have other plans that are more important. I have friends that are going to the satellite events, so they can tell me about it later.
  • Seattle's Sanity meet up at Westlake. Alright! I can also get yummy Greek food or possibly Indian. ^___^
  • Yeah, it's not like we have most of the hardware and software companies in the personal computing, mobile computing, entertainment, networking, or internet services markets. Oh wait.
    Yeah, I guess if you wanted to actually work directly for Apple/Google/Microsoft, etc. then you could do that, but even the thought of working for any of them makes me sick.
  • Yeah, I guess if you wanted to actually work directly for Apple/Google/Microsoft, etc. then you could do that, but even the thought of working for any of them makes me sick.
    You won't find any argument from me there. I worked for a subcompany of Microsoft that was absolutely horrendous, and then at Boeing for a little more than year before I couldn't stand that place anymore. My point is that even if you take out the behemoths, we still have more tech companies here than anywhere else in the country, big and small, especially in entertainment. The vast, vast majority of American video games are made on this coast, not to mention the headquarters of all three console makers. There are plenty of other options outside the terrible trio.
  • You won't find any argument from me there. I worked for a subcompany of Microsoft that was absolutely horrendous, and then at Boeing for a little more than year before I couldn't stand that place anymore. My point is that even if you take out the behemoths, we still have more tech companies here than anywhere else in the country, big and small, especially in entertainment. The vast,vastmajority of American video games are made on this coast, not to mention the headquarters of all three console makers. There are plenty of other options outside the terrible trio.
    The idea is that in NYC, and the rest of the East Coast, you don't work for a tech company at all. You do tech for non-tech companies. You know, for a bank or a defense contractor or an insurance company. Where the real money is. Just like you worked for Boeing. Every company has computers, therefore there are plenty of jobs.
  • If we end up planning a meet up I know a plethora of places to eat and/or drink.
  • The idea is that in NYC, and the rest of the East Coast, you don't work for a tech company at all. You do tech for non-tech companies. You know, for a bank or a defense contractor or an insurance company. Where the real money is. Just like you worked for Boeing. Every company has computers, therefore there are plenty of jobs.
    This is a good point, and one that I often forget about. The way I see it, that really just amounts to a whole crapload of IT jobs, and doing IT bores me to tears, so I tend to neglect that whole sector. I'd rather do something more creative and original; money is secondary to that.
  • This is a good point, and one that I often forget about. The way I see it, that really just amounts to a whole crapload of IT jobs, and doing IT bores me to tears, so I tend to neglect that whole sector. I'd rather do something more creative and original; money is secondary to that.
    Yeah, I would also like to do something creative and original, very badly. But I like food and shelter even more. Also, it's not even close to being all IT jobs. Almost any place that's worth a shit has developers as well. Developers for the outward facing web sites, inward facing web sites, custom business applications, etc. There are coders everywhere.
  • I will take pictures and it will fantastic! :D
    Also, I am not shit-talking! ;P
  • There are coders everywhere.
    Everywhere! Even in a small upstate cities! Everyone needs some bit of software that's just for them.
  • Coders everywhere in this bitch.
  • Fuckin hardrives! HOW DO THEY WORK?!