This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 20100930 - Book Club: Golden Apples of the Sun

edited September 2010 in GeekNights

Tonight on GeekNights we bring our thoughts on Ray Bradbury's The Golden Apples of the Sun to conclude this segment of the GeekNights Book Club. The next book will be World War Z by Max Brooks. In the news, we consider what happens to the things we forget from books, and Congress decides to address an ancient problem too little too late with CALM(A).

Download MP3

Comments

• The movie Scott was thinking of is Benjamin Button. Also, Rym, bring out the fuckin' Odyssey or Crime and Punishment, because I've read the former and have started reading the latter.
  • The next book will be World War Z by Max Brooks.
    OH SHI-

I mean, FUCK YEAH. That shit is teh awesome, and even if you don't consume audiobooks, you need to get the World War Z audiobook, because it has Alan Alda.
    bring out the fuckin' Odyssey
    Lombardo translation or GTFO. Fagles is a halfwit.
  • I have quite a fondness for the Odessey.
  • Yea, the World War Z audiobook is High Quality.
  • World War Zby Max Brooks
    If you're bringing out World War Z, you might as well talk about it's sister book, the Zombie Survival Guide.
  • edited October 2010
    Kinda wanted to see the King Abdullah thing. Anyone want to rip it to a dropbox?

Also, I think we need a compilation of Scott's ludicrous plans.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I have good news the book is actually quite good, even for non zombie fans. I know serveral people that told me it is worth the pick up and should be good enough to get people to read.
  • Just wanted to say thanks so much for choosing this collection for us to read. I remember reading at least two or three Bradbury short stories in junior high and high school and liking them quite a bit (among them "The Veldt" and "All Summer in a Day"). For some reason, though, I never took the obvious conclusion of "I like these Ray Bradbury stories, therefore, I should read more Ray Bradbury." Blame it on being a stupid punk kid at the time, I suppose. In any case, during this book club period, I listened to a collection of old radio dramatizations of about eight of these stories I found online since I was too broke to actually buy the book. I thought they were so awesome I went to get the full book as soon as I had the means, and tided myself over in the meantime with an mp3 CD of more stories that I found at the library (incidentally, while at the library, I also picked up The Naked Sun by Isaac Asimov, which I will get to soon, hopefully). So thank you, guys. Thanks for giving me an excuse to make myself realize how much I actually like Bradbury's writing.

Of all the stories, I will definitely agree to "The Fruit at the Bottom of the Bowl" being the most entertaining. You just keep thinking, "Is he actually going to go that far? Is he actually that crazy?" And he totally is. XD "Hail and Goodbye" (the one about the boy who doesn't age) I also thought was sweet and a little melancholy. You're completely right that "A Sound of Thunder" doesn't really hold up on the details, but you can credit it as being an early example of just the basic idea of one little change in history rippling throughout time. At the very least, you can appreciate it as the inspiration behind that one awesome Treehouse of Horror story, "Time and Punishment". XD
  • Today I got a copy of World War Z. It's a short book, so I'll probably finish it off quite quickly.
  • Today I got a copy of World War Z. It's a short book, so I'll probably finish it off quite quickly.
    I thought you weren't going to get it. I haven't started yet.
  • I got it for free.
  • I got it for free.
    Can't beat that price.
  • Honestly, I agree with Scott's assessment on the technology murderer story. It actually got me a bit angry.
  • Yeah, to be honest, although I really love Ray Bradbury, he can be surprisingly anti-tech for a SciFi writer.
    You see the same sort of sentiment in Fahrenheit 451. Although it is one of my favorite books, it is super anti modern media.