This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Random Comments

Comments

• It's not uncommon for games to add a new mechanic for a final battle
    I actually like that it very pointedly did not do this. The last battle was very specifically one we've seen many times before. It was powerful in its commonality.
  • While recently going through my tapes of 80s pro wrestling matches, I came across one that had an interesting exchange. To set this up, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan was famous for carrying a 2x4 to the ring.

Jesse Ventura: So Vince, why is Duggan allowed to carry a 2x4 to the ring?
    Vince McMahon: Well, if you were fighting Slick (manager) and his wrestlers, what would you carry to the ring.
    Jesse: (deadpan) A .44 Magnum.
  • I'm black. It is awesome.
    That is all.
  • I'm black. It is awesome.
    That is all.
  • One of these days, The Onion is going to copy something from Fox News verbatim, just to see if anyone notices.
  • I think it would be neat to run a trivia podcast.
  • I think it would be neat to be on a trivia podcast.
  • I think it would be neat to run a trivia podcast.
    I think it would be neat to be on a trivia podcast.
    I agree with these. Are we shit-talking?
  • edited October 2010
    I think it would be neat to run a trivia podcast.
    I think it would be neat to be on a trivia podcast.
    I agree with these. Are we shit-talking?
    Only one way to find out. I'm in.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • I'd say one random topic per week is a fair starting point. No idea what we want to talk about first, but it'd be fun.
  • I have a couple of ideas on how to make it fun and accessible. Some of us did Trivial Pursuit on Skype a few years back and it was painful because nobody knew the answers. We'd have to find a way to get around that. I'd want some banter, but also a pretty tightly-run ship, and I'm still thinking about how to get all the right ingredients in the pot.
    I'd say one random topic per week is a fair starting point. No idea what we want to talk about first, but it'd be fun.
    I was actually thinking about several different games we could play with different categories, so that's it's not all just jeopardy style. There are six or seven ways I know to do trivia.

We'd have to tinker for four or five junk episodes that would never air just to get the formula right and get the patter down. Anybody want to jump on Skype Tuesday night?
  • Tuesday really isn't a good day for me. Thursday is far superior.
  • Getting a netbook for college was sensible, but is certainly still very depressing as the PC gaming world looks cooler and cooler.
  • Tuesday really isn't a good day for me. Thursday is far superior.
    This.
  • I can do Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. EST, but it would be advantageous to experiment with setup tonight, maybe around 7 p.m. EST.

I've actually been considering this for several months. There are no great trivia podcasts that I've found.

If this is to not be shit-talkery, then I need three or four regulars to commit. We would record two episodes at a time, building a stockpile for the odd Thursday we can't conference. I'd want to release an episode once a week, like clockwork, no matter what, for at least 100 episodes.

I've been writing material, including several different trivia games, throughout the day. I almost have an exact format hammered out, but we'll need to test it to see whether it holds up in action.
  • I'd be willing to help you test it out tonight if you'd like. I can't yet promise to commit weekly, though.
  • edited October 2010
    I can't yet promise to commit weekly, though.
    This too. If we rocked it Greatest Movie Ever style, with different cohosts at any given time, I'm on it like white on rice.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    I can do Thursdays at 8:30 p.m. EST
    Yes, I can do this or Sunday. I get every Thursday and most Sundays off. Every other day I work nights, 5 to 12ish.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Almost every trivia game variation requires three people in order to be interesting (plus the host/arbitrator). That's why I would need at least soft commitments.

Anyway, any of you who can meet tonight at 7 p.m. EST, throw me a shout at JHawk0109 on AIM or reporterjason on Skype.
  • Is it real trivia or geek/nerd trivia?
  • Man, I used to love doing trivia, but I was always the one that just sat with the smart people and only contributed an answer when it had something to do with random girly stuff (classic books, chick flicks, fashion, etc). The only trivia I am good at is Disney Scene-It and stuff like that...

I think I'll just make Andrew play, and I'll listen in. >_>
  • Is it real trivia or geek/nerd trivia?
    A mix, designed to encourage nostalgia and participation. The goal is not to stump.
  • Sail and I are talking now. PM reporterjason to help us test the concept.
  • I'm interested. I'm in.
  • The new MagSafe power adapter is really annoying. Half the time it covers my USB port. Then, if you position it so that it doesn't block the port, it is more susceptible to bumps. What was Apple thinking?
  • What was Apple thinking?
    Worthy of a quote of its own ;)
  • I hate those days when you're driving home and half the people on the road are going well below the speed limit. And it just gets worse when you're trying to get around them, but it takes forever because so many other people are doing the same thing. By the time you do get free, just going the speed limit feels like you're really getting somewhere.
  • My game is going to be awesome =D
    When it's done, in like a year.
  • Apple picking was awesome.
    I am still black.
    That is all.
  • Between the ages of 10 and 12, I watched the Yu-Gi-Oh animated series. It taught me the meaning of the word "Ersatz".

All in all, not a complete waste.