This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Server Updates

edited April 2007 in Forum Stuff
There is a good chance I'm going to do some switch-ups on the server this weekend. This will most likely result in some downtime Saturday night eastern time. If you try to visit the forum or website around that time, don't be surprised if it doesn't work. Also, if you happen to be posting at the exact wrong moment when I take things down, your post will be lost.

When everything comes back up, everything will be awesome. The forum should be faster. The website should be faster. All the software will be updated. Everything will basically just be better in every conceivable way.

In the worst case scenario things should be down for no more than an hour. In the best case, things will be down for just a few minutes. I suggest getting a long video game and playing it around that time. Either that or have yourself an anime marathon. Oh, one more idea, download and listen to one or two GeekNights episodes. The RSS feed and the mp3 hosting will not experience any downtime at all.

Comments

• Going down in like, an hour or so. Be prepared.
  • Well fuck. That didn't fucking work. Problems every fucking step of the way. Got damn. I planned that shit out from start to finish. I even tested everything out at home to make sure it would work, and it did. Why do people have to fuck with shit? If it isn't broke, don't fix it. Why can't it just be easy? It's a good thing I always have a back out plan. Meanwhile, it's almost 3AM and I accomplished nothing. Have to try this again another time.
  • That sucks. While it was down Jason, WaterIsPoison, and I played a really long game of Wesnoth. We still didn't finish, and we're more or less tied.
  • Damn. I was wondering where the site was yesterday.
  • For anyone who cares, this is what I've been up to.

The server that hosts the forum, the website, and some of the old episodes is running very old software. It's got PHP4, MySQL4, and an older Apache2. The company that hosts it has been nice enough to increase the power of the server by 100%. We now have 100% more RAM, CPU, Disk space, etc. This wasn't just for us, they did it for all of their customers. This is good. If they hadn't done this, I probably would have switched hosts by now because we could have gotten something much faster for the same money.

Anyway, I think it's a good idea to update the software on the server to take full advantage of this new hardware. I want to switch the OS from Gentoo to Ubuntu, upgrade to PHP5 and MySQL5, and replace apache2 with lighttpd. I tried to do this Saturday night, but it failed because of some problems with lighttpd. Good thing I was smart, and I just booted the old Gentoo and everything is cool.

I do still want to do this update, because it will make everything much faster. It will also increase the capacity of the server, allowing us to handle more people visiting more often. This should prevent us from crashing and burning in the case of a Digging. Depending on what happens this week, I might try to do the update again this Saturday night the 14th, Eastern Time.

In the meantime, I've found a few ways to make the old Gentoo setup faster. So from here on out, the forums and website are only going to get faster. And remember, even if the site is down, the feed and the episode downloads will still be available.
  • Dedicated or shared server?
  • Dedicated or shared server?
    The hardware is shared, but the OS is dedicated thanks to the magic of UML.
  • Even "professional" podcasters don't show this much dedication to an already above-average website/forum/podcast. Awesome.
  • That didn't fucking work.
    Hehe. You got Edgy F***ed. Wee! My first Linux joke.
  • I have no idea what you are talking about, its all gibberish to me. However I wish you luck. I cannot offer assistance but next time your confused about the evolution of the Russian Tsarist Autocracy come give me a call.
  • Am I the only getting this message when "Mark All Read" is clicked:

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    An error occurred while logging your IP address.
    Affected Elements
    Insert.MakeRead();

The error occurred on or near: Duplicate entry '35-113' for key 1

For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs
  • Am I the only getting this message when "Mark All Read" is clicked:

A fatal, non-recoverable error has occurred
    Technical information (for support personel):

Error Message
    An error occurred while logging your IP address.
    Affected Elements
    Insert.MakeRead();

The error occurred on or near: Duplicate entry '35-113' for key 1

For additional support documentation, visit the Lussumo Documentation website at: lussumo.com/docs
    I know all about that problem. I'll take care of it after.
  • If you use BBCode on this forum, please stop. I'm getting rid of it soon. I checked and there are less than 20 people who use it. Over 100 people use Html. In the near future, there will be no more BBCode.
  • If you take away our BBCode we will be forced to use HTML Bullets!

Do you really want to go down that road? Do you really want the lethal bullets flying on this forum?
  • If you take away our BBCode we will be forced to use HTML Bullets!

Do you really want to go down that road? Do you really want the lethal bullets flying on this forum?
    I'm going to solve the problem of people not selecting the radio button when they quote. That is worth any number of bullets.
  • I'm going to solve the problem of people not selecting the radio button when they quote. That is worth any number of bullets.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH! ^_^
  • BB Code is useless. Just like the Wiki Code.
  • I've removed the Live Search extension because it sucked. If you want to search the forum, use the normal search.
  • I've removed the Live Search extension because it sucked. If you want to search the forum, use the normal search.
    Good I never could get it to work and I always forgot between the times it failed.
  • For those of you who were having problems with marking all threads in the forum as read, it should now work just fine. If you continue to have problems, let me know.
  • I updated the front page of frontrowcrew.com slightly. There are no longer separate links for comments and forum discussion on each episode. There is no only a single link for comments which will take you to the associated forum thread, if one exists. If there is no forum thread for an episode, then there will be no link.
  • edited May 2007
    This weekend, at some point, I don't know when, I am going to update the forums only. The forums will be down for a short time, then they will return. After that, I will be re-activating the forum extensions one at a time. I think I have a solution that will solve our HTML/BBCode problems forever. You should notice that when I am done the forum will be much more awesome in many ways. If you happen to be writing a big long post at the time I take the forum down, oh snaps.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I've upgraded the forum to the latest version of Vanilla. Expect changes to all the extensions soon.
  • Forum updates are complete. If you are not a Safari user, and you are feeling brave, I suggest you enable visual editing in your forum preferences. Just click on the Account tab, then click on Forum Preferences on the left hand side of the page. There should be a checkbox there which will allow you to enable visual editing. I highly recommend using this option if you do not know HTML or BBCode. If you are not happy with the visual editor, you are free to remain using the normal editor. In fact, the normal editor is still the default. You will not use the visual editor unless you specifically enable it.
    Also, I should point out that if you choose to use the visual editor, there will be no spell checking available to you via the forum. You will either have to go without using a spell checker, or you will have to use spell checking provided by your browser. The newer versions of Firefox have built-in spell checking that works just fine with the visual editor.
    Let me know if you have any problems using either editor.
  • I like the new look of the header. It looks so peaceful :P
  • Yes, the new header makes it feel like you professionally cleaned my monitor, from the inside. Me likey!
  • The new headers is the default theme of the Vanilla forum software. Previously we were using a custom theme. You can change your theme in the forum preferences if you wish.
  • edited May 2007
    Under forum prefrences I can't seem to find the option to change themes.  Am I missing something here?
    Post edited by Josh Bytes on
  • edited May 2007
    Nevermind.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I am also loving the new way to add youtube links to our posts :D