This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

So, it looks like I could be in charge of a convention...

edited October 2010 in Conventions

Comments

• I would suggest that you restrategize the situation. RIT anime club didn't run Tora-Con immediately. They built up to that. We did social nights, we did Springfest, we did showings, we did music nights, we did cosplay/masquerades on Halloween, we did each part of a convention on its own before we did a full convention. A full convention is doing all of those things, and more, all at once. Try to convince the people to do just one thing, like a cosplay. If you can get them to do enough small events, the skills and experience needed to do a convention will appear.
  • BAIL.. BAIL NOW.
  • If you advertise at all, thousands and thousands of people might show up, and you'll be screwed.

Also, if you don't secure a command structure with good delegation right now (and weed out/marginalize anyone who isn't reliable), you will fail. Take control, and give orders. If too many people balk at orders, and no one else steps up, bail and tell everyone why.
  • You should consider charge a small fee for admission, because having a completely free event advertised as such (in a major city) will probably draw more people then you can handle... Keep it within the college as much as possible for the first time.
  • I would be very concerned about the people you have to work with, given your descriptions of them.

My best suggestion, if organizing events is something you are genuinely interested in doing, is to stay on the outskirts of this event and use your time to identify the competent people involved. They will likeliy jump at the chance to work with someone who's got their shit together after having dealt with the idiot boat.
  • I would be very concerned about the people you have to work with, given your descriptions of them.

My best suggestion, if organizing events is something you are genuinely interested in doing, is to stay on the outskirts of this event and use your time to identify the competent people involved. They will likeliy jump at the chance to work with someone who's got their shit together after having dealt with the idiot boat.
    I'm not, you can afford to be idealist in college playing with your college clubs budget ^_^... Just don't go over board right away. The biggest issue for starting events is biting off way more then you have the structure to deal with.
  • edited October 2010
    Go small before you go big; I agree with the idea of trying to keep it to one or two activities the first time. It sounds like the group is very ambitious, which is okay if you know what you are doing. I'm assuming none of you are pro convention organizers, which means that you don't know what you are doing. Stay away from booking guests unless they are local and already have a connection and goodwill with the school/club. Guests add so much complication that it's a terrible idea for a school group, at least the first couple of times you put an event on. Minimize the number of things that can go wrong by choosing legally simple events as your first events. Set an attendance cap at the number of people you can seriously handle (take the max occupancy considerations into account too) and set your marketing strategy to match your desired attendance.

Before going too much further, you should talk to the person at your school who is responsible for approving these kinds of events. There will undoubtedly be issues of liability, boundaries of what can and cannot be done, and potential legal advice you can take advantage of. You should get a general idea of your resources before you go planning a big event.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Call the cops. Do it now.