This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Return of Scott's Box

edited August 2009 in Manga/Comics
I've decided to revamp Scott's Box. It's too much work right now to edit a video together. However, it's not much work at all to do Ustream stuff. It's basically effortless.

From now, and into the foreseeable future, Scott's Box will work as follows. My box of comics usually gets shipped out by UPS on the last Wednesday of the month. Most of the time I receive it the following Monday, barring holidays and such. It never comes on a weekend because it is UPS.

On the day I come home and find the box on the doorstep, I will UStream the box opening live that night. If there are extenuating circumstances, the show will be done as soon as I have a free time. That will be very rare, because it takes a lot to prevent me from having enough time to open a box. I will, of course, also record the opening for posterity. I may also review a few comics I have read recently, or show comics I purchased over the course of the month. I will also take questions and comments at the end.

Here is the URL for the show itself.
http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scott-s-box

Also, remember to follow me on Twitter @apreche or @geeknights to be notified when streams are going to happen.

Even though Scott's Box will not be a nice edited video, I'm hoping that making it a regular occurrence will help build the audience.

Comments

• Neat. I saw mention of it in the slew of ancient polls I had to wade through when I first joined, and wondered why it wasn't in the recent shows I'd listened to.
    It's cool that it's coming back.
    Not that I know much about it. Does it encompass a variety of genre, or does it stick to a few you prefer?
  • Not that I know much about it. Does it encompass a variety of genre, or does it stick to a few you prefer?
    I cover everything I buy and read, which is indeed a wide variety.
  • edited October 2010
    Alright, so assuming UPS gets the job done, I'll be rocking it at 8:30PM Eastern time tonight.

Lately the turnout has not been as big as it has been in the past. It's partially lack of promotion because I've pretty much only been tweeting it out the day of, or the day before. That should be fixed when I make a section for it on the web site. But also I worry that the show is sucky, and needs some changing. I did get a few emails though, saying that they watch the recorded version of the show and love it, so I'll keep trying.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited October 2010
    Lately the turnout has not been as big as it has been in the past. It's partially lack of promotion because I've pretty much only been tweeting it out the day of, or the day before. That should be fixed when I make a section for it on the web site. But also I worry that the show is sucky, and needs some changing. I did get a few emails though, saying that they watch the recorded version of the show and love it, so I'll keep trying.
    That'd be good - I like Watching, but thanks to time-zones, I often don't find out till after you've done the thing, and passive consumption of a recording isn't as fun as watching live with the chatroom.

Edit - The recording isn't bad, it's quite good, just not AS good as watching live.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I was always wondering what Scott's Box was. Saw it mentioned a few times but wasn't curious enough to bother asking. Sounds interesting, though. I won't be watching tonight cause of prior plans but I'll probably check out the recording at some point.
  • Here is the link to the show page on Ustream.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/scott-s-box
  • USP Fail. Maybe Thursday.
  • Ok, due to delays, the real Scott's Box will be Wednesday for sure.
  • Ok, due to delays, the real Scott's Box will be Wednesday for sure.
    Yes, tonight at 8PM Eastern, 100% sure it will happen.
  • Ustream recording failed. Not my fault.
  • Tonight at 8PM Eastern. So, that's like in 90 minutes.
  • The one time when I was awake during this thing I missed it. Well not that great loss when alternative, witch I was doing was getting my ass kicked in Super Street Fighter IV.
  • Tonight at 8PM again. I've got some really good stuff this time.
  • Tomorrow at 8:30PM. I got some amazing shit this time. It could be the best ever.
  • Does it have to be a surprise or can you list it here? I'm in the market for a box this month but I won't be able to catch the webcast tomorrow.
  • Does it have to be a surprise or can you list it here? I'm in the market for a box this month but I won't be able to catch the webcast tomorrow.
    If Ustream isn't broken, it will be recorded, as have all previous boxes, except a few. Also, I'm going to seriously enhance Scott's box very soon.
  • Tonight at 8:30PM, which is in 90 minutes.
  • Thanks for doing this, really cool. I like how you get to the point about the stuff in the box and the synopses are really helpful.

Just watched the Jan 2011 one. You got Ayako... that is the next manga on my list. Did you get to it yet? How'd you like it?

I'm watching tonight. Still at work... hopefully I make it home in time.
  • scott has a vagina
  • scott has a vagina
  • edited February 2011
    Ustream
    So that's where they went xD

Also, why do you have a bike in your house =P?
    Post edited by Aria on
  • Bike inside is pretty much the norm in NYC. Doesn't make sense to own a car, and not worth taking your chances between weather and hooligans leaving it chained up outside some place.
  • But why not put it in the hallway outside your apartment or in the entrance area?
  • But why not put it in the hallway outside your apartment or in the entrance area?
    Where anyone can just take it?
  • Won't 'anyone' be limited to just your neighbors?
    Fire code doesn't allow obstructions in hallways.

Some buildings have bike storage areas.
  • Trying again tomorrow at 8:30PM Eastern.
    See, I thought that. Then one day my bike disappeared.
  • Ever consider jumping to Justin.tv for easier archival purposes or sticking with ustream?