This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Manga for the kid

edited October 2010 in Manga/Comics
I have a request. My daughter is looking for more manga/anime to consume. Here is her list of likes and dislikes, any ideas on titles she might enjoy would be appreciated.

Code
Bold ~ I LOVE I A LOT
Normal ~ I like it
Slanted ~ So-so
B and S ~ Not really
Red ~ HATE

~~~~~~~~

Mangas

Amazing Agent Luna (I don't really want to read this anymore)
Animal Academy
Cardcaptor Sakura (LOVE IT!)
Chii's Sweet Home
Dragon Drive (It didn't keep me into the story)
Fairy Navigator Runa
Fruits Basket
GA Art Class
Happy Happy Clover
Kamichama Karin Chu
Lucky Star
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Shugo Chara (I LOVES THIS ONE!!!)
Sugar Sugar Rune
Ultra Maniac
Tsubasa RC
xXxHoLiC
Yotsuba
Black Bird (I just read this in Shojo Beat and I likes it~)
Vampire Knigh (Same reason~)
Narto (HATE IT)
Bleach

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Anime

Cardcaptor Sakura (JAPANESE ONLY)
Chii's Sweet Home
GA Art Class
Lucky Star
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Shugo Chara
Tsubasa
xXxHoLiC
K-ON!
Black Rock Shooter

Doki Doki High School
Azumanga Daioh

On a related note she wants to learn Japanese. Before I spend a fortune on Rosetta Stone is there a cheaper way for her to learn (or at least attempt to learn) the language?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• For anime, she needs to watch Damekko Doubutsu stat.
  • Urotsukidoji
  • If she liked Fruits Basket, she might enjoy Ouran High School Host Club. Both the manga and anime are excellent.

As for learning Japanese, try that DS game. It's probably not the best, but beyond cheaper than the Rosetta Stone. I've never tried the Rosetta Stone stuff, but I prefer going to school to learn a language.
  • One Piece is the awesome, almighty shonen. Can't go wrong with it. And for an afternoon, I know that Ponyo is on Netflix streaming.
  • edited October 2010
    If she likes Lucky Star and GA, she'll probably enjoy Azumanga Daioh and Hidamari Sketch (english title: Sunshine Sketch), just sticking with the yon-koma. Sketchbook for the same reason, but the manga isn't licensed for that. The anime really enjoyable though. More on the border, she may enjoy Hayate no Gotoku (english title: Hayate the Combat Butler) or School Rumble.

Also, I've heard that Dragon Drive is horrendous from multiple sources.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • Hokuto no Ken.

If not, then perhaps all the Tsubasa Chronicles OVAs and Anime seem to be popular with the Card Captor Sakura crowd.

As for learning the language, Rosetta Stone is not the greatest tool really, a proper teacher is better.
  • +1 on Hokuto no Ken. Every kid needs to see at least the 100 first episodes + a couple more.
  • For learning the moon runes, take a look over yonder.
  • edited October 2010
    Kaleido Star and Aria the animation would probably be good choices as far as anime goes for your daughter.
    Post edited by Jordan O. on
  • This is how I learned:
  • How old's the kid? Pokemon Special's really good if she likes the pocket monsters. Maybe Bakuman or the more child oriented Tezuka books (Astro Boy, Black Jack, etc.). As far as moon runes go, I'd heartily recommend Heisig's books.
  • @WindUpBird: Pretty much the same for me, tho' the guy who thought me could pronounce the Japanese words and sounds correctly.
  • edited October 2010
    Oh, I was just kidding. I'll probably pirate Rosetta Stone to learn the moon rune magick.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Rosetta Stone works much better for moon speak than moon runes. It doesn't go into stroke order or break down the runes into their component parts at all.
  • Whatevs. Kanji books, then.
  • A good way, free way to learn Kanji is using Anki, a flash card viewer program. Just download a few flashcard packages for japanese. I got Japanese Core 2000 Step 1, which also has a sound option for pronunciation, and Basic Kanji Books 1 2. This would also be an option to test if she really wants to keep it up, before buying a couple of expensive books. It will probably not replace getting her into a class though.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
    Why continue this farce, Nine?
  • Check out the Paradise Kiss manga. It's only 4 volumes long.

Yukari is a typical high-school student who listens to her parents and attends school everyday. As she starts to question her way of life, she encounters a group of fashion design students who has a clothing label known as "Paradise Kiss". The group needs to find a model to showcase their designs in an up-coming fashion show and decides to pick Yukari instead. Initially, Yukari was reluctant to be associated with this seemingly eccentric group, but eventually, she realises that they are really nice people. Furthermore, their passion and enthusiasm to follow their ideals and dreams make Yukari realise that she has not been enjoying her life and this motivated her to pursue her own dreams.
  • It has sex in it, though. I would say that it is much more geared toward a teenage audience. I'd say you want Hana to Yume titles, and Ribon titles. You can probably find a list somewhere of good ones that are translated.
  • Why continue this farce, Nine?
    Doesn't get it.
  • Now that I think about it, Hokuto no Ken is also a great Japanese learning tool.
  • Pokemon Adventures.
    edited October 2010
    ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ... ...
    Post edited by ... on
  • She's 11 right? A good manga for a preteen is Chocomimi. It's a gag strip manga about a group of cute friends in 8th grade.
  • Lady Oscar
    Candy Candy
    and Hokuto No Ken

Your kid will be manliest little girl ever after watching all of those animes :P
  • A few comments:

She only plays the Pokemon games now. It is no longer cool to be into Pokemon for her which is funny because she does still read the manga, she just keeps it in a drawer so her friends don't see it!

Azumanga Daioh - We have the DVD set and the omnibus. We picked up Dok Doki hoping it would be similar and were very disappointed at what we found.

One Piece - Nope, she can't stand it.

Ouran High School Host Club - She said she has heard good things about this.

One thing that really bugs her about Netflix On Demand is that all of the anime is dubbed. She prefers to hear the original Japanese audio with subs. Though she did say xxxholic had a good English cast.

She does enjoy the romance manga as long as it does not get sexual (that includes anything more than a kiss where the heroine runs away all red-faced.)
  • Gravitation, perhaps?
  • Ouran High School Host Club - She said she has heard good things about this.
    It's really funny. That's a hana to yume title. It has a little bit of BLish joking in it, but I think it is appropriate for a pre-teen.
  • edited October 2010
    I want to say Super Gals and the Gals manga, but it's more of a 13 up title. I recommend it, but I would wait a year.
    Post edited by Viga on