This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NaNoWriMo 2010

edited August 2010 in Everything Else
November is slowly approaching once again, and that means another opportunity to forgo friends and family in order to write a novel! Well, I guess the forgoing is up to you, but writing is a cool thing to do and a thing worth sacrificing for.

As far as I can tell, Gunter and I were the only forumites who finished on time last year, though Luke did finish shortly after. It would be nice to see if we can get more finishers this year!

As always, the website is here. Nothing has been reset yet from last year, so not much to do there yet I don't think aside from signing up if you haven't done so.

And don't believe that it's too early to be thinking about this. You never know when the right idea will come to mind. For me, a couple weeks ago I was talking to my best friend about a story world he's been developing for use in a potential game, and I actually misinterpreted an idea that he had for a class of characters, but it combined with a couple other ideas I like to create the basis for this year's novel. Since then I've handwritten several pages of notes to be used as an outline with more to come, so I felt like it'd be a good time to start this thread.

Who's in?

Comments

• Time to write the Great American Cyberpunk Novel!
  • I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but never have the time. This -- and their script-writing event -- usually end up falling right on exam time.
  • I've been meaning to do this for a long time, but never have the time. This -- and their script-writing event -- usually end up falling right on exam time.
    One day, school will be over.
    One day, school will be over.
    Not if you are going for a PhD...

/Will be in school forever
  • I think I'm going to go for it this year, if only to use up my currently abundant amount of free time. Now I just need a story idea.
  • edited August 2010
    I've got a few ideas. Maybe I'll even write about something I know this time.
    Post edited by Walker on
  • NaNoWriMo always makes me depressed. I've been RPing literally since the fourth grade. I've only ever written RP posts and short stories for school since then(not counting essays and such, which are different). While this means I can write six sentences in under a minute every once and a while, it means that I'm terribly suited for long term novel writing. It really sucks because I have novel length ideas all the time, but no attention span to write more than a page, even when furiously running with inspiration. That's why I never participate in NaNoWriMo. It always makes me sad that I can't.

On the flip side, I'm the editor for a friend's novel length story, so that kind of counts, right? It's not for NaNoWriMo, and it's going to be quite the long term project, but it will be nice to have played a part in something a little bigger than what I'm used to.
  • Going to work/submit on my own story for NaNoWriMo. It's mostly from the silly ideas/in-jokes/collaborations I've had with my girlfriend, with a story that points parody and satire at the current anime industry. Writing comedy is fun. ^_^
  • I always say I plan on participating each year, but wind up writing maybe a couple thousand words before I abandon it. I'm hoping this year will be different.
  • I might go for it again this year. I need to re-write a novel from last year, called "Human Danger", and might as well make it a NaNoWriMo project.

However, in January I wrote a 35,000 word story in 4 days, so if I've got a few days spare, I might see if I can complete NaNoWriMo in the same amount of time. I'll have to plan for it, but if I find the right kind of story, it could be possible.

However (number two), I still have a much longer novel I'm working on. I got a quarter of the way through it, and then took a break for the summer. I should start up again in September, but I doubt I'll have it finished by November. Depending on how important it is, I might just spend November finishing this up instead.
  • Ehhh... every year I say I'll do NaNo, and I'll write for one day, get aggravated, and go "ahhhh fuck it!" It didn't help that November would always be the month when WoW expansions would come out. But now that I am freed from the addictive shackles of MMOs, maybe I'll actually get a word count over 2000. >_> Worth a try, at least. I guess I'll just reuse my idea from last year.
  • I always fall into the trap where I get excited to do it, psych myself up to start, then realize I'm creatively bankrupt. Siiiiigh.
  • I have this one idea. I'll see how far I can get with it. Worse comes to worse, I write an extremely short story.
  • I write an extremely short story.
    The thing is, it's not NaFiWriMo, it's NaNoWriMo, which means novels and not a short story. I don't even know if a novella will count.
  • edited August 2010
    I write an extremely short story.
    The thing is, it's not NaFiWriMo, it's NaNoWriMo, which means novels and not a short story. I don't even know if a novella will count.
    What part of
    I'll see how far I can get with it.
    don't you understand? Even if I don't end up making the 50,000 word cut, that's fine, as long as I come out of it with a complete story. It's not about winning for me, It's about creating.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • GeoGeo
    edited August 2010
    I write an extremely short story.
    What part of
    I'll see how far I can get with it.
    don't you understand? Even if I don't end up making the 50,000 word cut, that's fine, as long as I come out of it with a complete story. It's not about winning for me, It's about creating.
    This isn't supposed to be chiding (as I'm wont to do), but I don't think he understands that because he himself said that he cannot write fiction.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • which means novels and not a short story
    50,000 words is not novel length either. They admit themselves that it's more like novella length, but that just sound less awesome.
  • Novella are the best form of writing :-p
  • Novella are the best form of writing :-p
    Short and sweet, though novelettes are shorter! So Grey, write one of those and you still participate in NaNoWriMo, screw what any Apreche say.
  • Blog post:

It's coming up to November, and that means NaNoWriMo. National Novel Writing Month. The goal: to write 50,000 word novel in 30 days.

I did it in 2008, and completed the challenge. That novel became Minding Tomorrow. In 2009 I had another go at NaNoWriMo, and wrote one of the story of Combat, the followup novel to Minding Tomorrow. I didn't actually write 50,000 words in November, because I completed the story sooner than expected. Anyway, NaNoWriMo did its job, and by the end December 19th I had a 50,333 word novel.

What about this year?

Well, I have quite a few choices. I'll break down my current writing projects and story ideas. All titles are working titles only.

Arc of Life: a large scale fantasy novel. I wrote a quarter of this back in June, but life kinda got in the way in July, August and September.

NaNoWriMo suitability: I think the point is to start at the beginning of a novel, rather than trying to write 50,000 words of an ongoing project. I think I'll save this one and work on it later.

Human Danger: a retelling of a classic science fiction story from the point of view of the alien. I wrote 24,000 words of this story back in 2009, before working out a way better ending than I had when I started it. That meant I would have to write it again from the start though, and I didn't feel like doing it right away.

NaNoWriMo suitability: Good. I'd be able to go straight into writing it, as I've got the entire thing planned. However, as I have to keep continuity with the original story, individual scenes are a real pain to write. I'd have to do a bit more planning during October to be read.

Monster Story: A human colony sets themselves up on a planet, and discovers there are more dangerous animals out there than they first thought.

I wrote this as a novella (35,000 words), but was unhappy with it. So I wrote extensive notes to see how to fix it. As it happens, I wrote the notes in the form of a meeting between three characters, and enjoyed it so much I released it as The Monster Story Conference. Strangely, the notes ran to just under 35,000 words too, though it only took me five days from start to end.

I want to write the final version of this story. It'll be very easy, as I have two versions already, and I've thought about it a lot. I will be starting from scratch, but it feels a bit strange considering I've already written 70,000 words on this story already!

NaNoWriMo suitability: Good, but the final story won't be 50,000 words long.

The Great Escape: A mystery set in a prisoner of war camp. A group is trying to tunnel to freedom, and our hero joins the effort. But not everything is how it seems.

The overall structure and concept of Monster Story came to me, in almost a complete form, in a dream. Maybe it is why I find the story so compelling. On Friday afternoon, during a nap, I dreamed the entire story and concept of The Great Escape. I can't get it out of my head!

NaNoWriMo suitability: Good, but I think I need to let this one stew in my brain for a while longer, to get a better handle on the characters and scenes. They made perfect sense in my dream, but I know if I tried to write it so soon it'll be very weak.

Minding Tomorrow part 3: Combat is not a direct followup to Minding Tomorrow, but it is set in the same future, with characters and events in common. Either can be read first. MT3 will be a followup to both novels, and feature the characters of both coming together to solve ever bigger problems.

I've had the events of this story banging about in my head for years, since way before I ever wrote Minding Tomorrow. I think I'm ready to finally write it.

NaNoWriMo suitability: Very good. I wrote the previous two novels during November, so why not this one? However, I don't want to only put out stories set in the world of Minding Tomorrow. I feel I have a lot more than that to offer as a writer!

MT4/Monster Story Prequel: Yeah, I've always imagined Minding Tomorrow and the Monster Story happen in the same future timeline. Even though they are completely different stories, both thematically and stylistically, it might be fun to write the story that links the two.

Put it this way, the events at the end of MT3 are the reasons why the colonists go to Lanamay with the technology they have. Except for the Conveyor Drive, everything is set. MT4 will be about the invention of the Conveyor Drive.

NaNoWriMo suitability: Not good. I need to write MT3 first. Or Monster Story first. Certainly not this one.

The Pseudonomicon: I wrote down the title, but have never come up with a story to go with it.

NaNoWriMo suitability: None.

Train Mystery: Murder on the Orient Express meets Einstein's thought experiments about relativity, the one with the beam of light bouncing off mirrors on a moving train.

I just looked at my notes on this story idea, and they need a LOT of work.

NaNoWriMo suitability: Not this year! Also, the story would probably be too short.

Cruise: The story of a cruise ship that's in a port when a revolution and military coup take place in the city at the same time. Various member of the service staff are taken prisoner ashore, and yet the captain is ordered to sail away, out of trouble. The prisoners ashore start getting killed, so the service staff on board mutiny, take over the ship, and sail back again to save their colleagues. Etc. Etc.

Unlike all the above stories, there are no science fiction or fantasy elements to this story at all. Instead I'd draw on all my knowledge of working on cruise ships.

NaNoWriMo suitability: Good, but I don't feel as passionate about this story compared to the others.

Looking at the above list, it comes down to Human Danger, MT3 or Monster Story. I have two weeks to decide. Meanwhile I do research and prepare notes for all three.
  • Heh. It's kind of nice to see that I'm not the only person who has half a dozen novel/story ideas that are constantly floating around in the brain, for years in some cases.

Anyway, I've got my story idea for this year, and I've planned out around 40% of it so far, which means I need to do it a little more frequently for the last couple weeks. So my story is a modern fantasy that is basically about a normal guy who was born with the ability to "read" people. I don't know enough about the science to say, but this story goes on the assumption that people give off "brain waves" and other indicators that can not be picked up using any of the normal five senses. But this guy does have an additional sense that allows him to read them at varying levels of concentration. Normally he sees the waves as a symbolic representation that floats around other people (for those who read the Wheel of TIme, it is akin to Min's ability), but if he focuses on one person, he can see the other person's thoughts fully. The story itself is like a day-in-the-life, showing how he deals with such an ability in a modern setting where most people are either afraid of him or look down on him, and there are other forces who try to manipulate and take advantage of him, and through it all he is trying to figure out what his real purpose is.

So if any of you were wondering (and I doubt it's very many) if I was going to work on the follow up to last year's book, the answer is no. That project is going to take a few years of work to get to where I want it. One month is not enough.
  • edited October 2010
    Unfortunately I think I'm going to have much more important things to worry about this November. Maybe I'll replace the 50,000 word goal with a "30 pages of hobo comic rough drafts" goal. It isn't nearly as ambitious, but I'll probably end up being more productive. :P
    Post edited by Walker on
  • edited October 2010
    Two friends in a dirty apartment. They're unemployed, three months behind on their rent, and their landlord is threatening eviction.

Nothing else to do but hunt monsters for bounty in the dark alleys of the Windy City. Nyarlathotep is their employer, working through an avatar as a very affable bookie who's been running a long con to turn Chicago to rubble since he fucked up the Great Chicago Fire. Hilarity ensues.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited October 2010
    Is there an FRC group? I may not be able to join it, since I'm in the Young Person's group, but if there are people younger than 17 or have are educators, we could get together and make a group, and our novels will be awesome!

Side Note: I find it interesting that the Young Writers have the minimum goal set to the same 50,000. I dunno if I can write that much, even over a month, but I'm still gonna try!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • I...May consider doing this, if inspiration hits me in the next couple of days. Probably not, school is not necessarily hard, but it is time consuming.
  • I tried to do NaNoWriMo once long time ago. That didn't go far.

I doubt that I will be doing this, but I would like to write something, because I haven't done that for long time. Maybe NaNoWriMo will give me some inspiration and energy to write something even if it isn't 50 000 words.
  • I'm gonna be too busy planning the Humans Vs Zombies game for our campus. Maybe next year.
  • I am in. There is an idea that my fiancée and I have been tossing around with some really interesting ethical implications to explore.
  • I'm going all-in this year. If anyone wants to add me as a writing buddy (if you didn't get me last year when I crashed and burned before the first week was up) here's my account.
  • One tip: write short chapters, and know one cool line or have one cool thing in mind for each. One bit of knowledge about the story too. Then write one chapter a day, as then you'll have a mini-goal in sight each time you sit down and write, which is more than "X words per day" or "50k by the end of the month".