This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Nintendo 3DS

Comments

• I won't disagree that it will more than likely last a long time. I'm just not going to be one of those people who just buy it right when it's released. Out of all the gaming systems I have, I play on the DS the most.

My situation with money and what I want to do with my money is much different than a few years ago. We all have different incomes and priorities with our money. If you guys can afford it, if it is $300, then more power to you.

For me, that's an investment. I've learned over the last 10 years that just buying something just because it looks shiny and pretty and it's the hottest item around is not the best thing to do with your money. I've spend money on countless games to where I've barely touched them. I look back and wish I knew better.

Saving money for other things like going to conventions, retirement, and just savings in general is more important to me than buying shinies.

Also, if there aren't a decent number of games that I find worth playing that I would invest a lot of time into, I will probably buy the 3DS. However, I'm pretty sure Nintendo will come out with a shinier version of it a year or two later.
  • edited September 2010
    I bought the GBC, GBA, DS, GameCube, and Wii all on launch. I bought a DS Lite way after it launched to replace DS Phat. Nintendo has been very bad lately. Therefore, I'm probably not going to buy a 3DS at launch, unless it's got something amazing. Instead I'll probably get the 3DS Lite. I'll wait for a flash cart and maybe a Pokemon or Advance Wars game. Also, hopefully it will be much less than $300. If it's $150 or so, then maybe I can get one at launch more readily.

Also, the DS still has a ton of life left in it. Golden Sun is still coming and such. I'll let the DS die first.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Although I was enamored with the concept of buying one while in Japan and having the flashy new thing way early, it does not look like that will be happening, and I will also be saving my money for the next iteration. I've gone on ad nauseum about how I'm still playing games from 2008 (just about to wrap up Zelda: Phantom Hourglass) so I really don't need something new. I've come a long way from the 6th grade where I purchased a gameboy pocket 1 month before GBC launched b/c my original gameboy broke and I just had to play Pokemon red/blue.

I'm definitely not going to knock people for taking the plunge on 3DS though, as it looks like it's getting good software support. What I've seen of Resident Evil and Professor Layton looks really cool, and I'm sure not launching until the spring will give developers more time to put together a strong slate of titles.
  • Definitely getting one near launch because I still have a DS Phat. If I had gotten a Lite or DSi, I probably would hold out too.
  • Definitely getting one near launch because I still have a DS Phat. If I had gotten a Lite or DSi, I probably would hold out too.
    Yeah, you're a smart young whipper-snapper with the monies. /pat on back
  • Thank ya, ma'am.
  • Yea, Since I'm still rocking a DS Phat, I'll probably think about getting the 3DS as soon as some killer app for me comes out (most likely the next turn based strat game.
  • edited September 2010
    For me, that's an investment. I've learned over the last 10 years that just buying something just because it looks shiny and pretty and it's the hottest item around is not the best thing to do with your money. I've spend money on countless games to where I've barely touched them. I look back and wish I knew better.
    I think we are both saying the same thing in a round about kind of way. I hate wasting money too. I also played the DS WAY more than any other system this generation. I have a kid, and a wife who likes to steal the TV, so it totally suits my lifestyle.

So that's why I think that $300 (or $250...) while steep, is a fine investment even on launch day, as you know you are going to play it for a long time.

And it still looks pretty damn shiny to me. Even if a new one comes out in a year or two with a bigger top screen, you still have a nice DS.
    Post edited by InvaderREN on
  • If you're a technomad, investing relatively heavily in a portable game system makes sense in the same way that putting a lot of money into an ultralight notebook does.
  • I'm going to hold out on the 3DS for the foreseeable future. In my mind, Nintendo hasn't really been providing me with the kind of games that I want to play. I got a Wii the year that it launched, full price and all, but I've only bought five games for it, all of which I beat quickly and haven't gone back to since. The console has been collecting dust all year. And the only reason I got a DSi was because I know people who work at Nintendo and can get really good discounts. Even so, most of my use of the thing came when I was using public transportation for work, which I stopped doing a year ago. Adding some 3D effects probably won't change my habits.
  • I think it looks amazing, and has some promising games demoed for it (3d zelda, starfox, and pikmin? Fuck yeah), but I definitely will not buy one at launch. First off, I still have boatloads of games in my backlog for PS2, GBA, DS, and PSP as it is. Second, Nintendo will release a 3DS lite shortly after. It's inevitable. They did it with the GBA and the DS. Why wouldn't they do it for the 3DS? Third, I'd rather wait for a price drop.
  • Second, Nintendo will release a 3DS lite shortly after.
    If by "shortly" you mean "two years later".
  • edited October 2010
    This seals two deals. Deal one, I am totally getting a 3DS. Deal two, I am yet again proven right in that Capcom is the company that knows wtf is up in terms of vidja games we like, even if it means making no moneys.

Professor Layton x Phoenix Wright

Not fanfic. The real deal.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/19/professor-layton-meets-phoenix-wright-in-crossover-3ds-game/
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, my Twitter is all busy with this news. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting one when it comes out. I honestly hope the scenes in the game won't be as long and absurd like Phoenix Wright. At least in Layton you can just keep tapping the screen to get through the dialogue.
  • Insane. Such a great idea. I'm reluctant to purchase the first-edition Nintendo handheld, but from looking back at the DS, they've all held their value very well and can bo sold on eBay for most of the cost towards a new model.

My wife is not a huge gamer but has played every Layton and Phoenix Wright title. I was worried mostly about the price, but I do not think I will be able to stop the purchase of a 3DS regardless of how much it costs.
  • Insane. Such a great idea. I'm reluctant to purchase the first-edition Nintendo handheld, but from looking back at the DS, they've all held their value very well and can bo sold on eBay for most of the cost towards a new model.

My wife is not a huge gamer but has played every Layton and Phoenix Wright title. I was worried mostly about the price, but I do not think I will be able to stop the purchase of a 3DS regardless of how much it costs.
    I bought a GBC, GBA, and DS phat all on the release day, and it's never been a wrong move. I don't think I can go wrong getting a 3DS.
  • edited October 2010
    Insane. Such a great idea. I'm reluctant to purchase the first-edition Nintendo handheld, but from looking back at the DS, they've all held their value very well and can bo sold on eBay for most of the cost towards a new model.

I bought a GBC, GBA, and DS phat all on the release day, and it's never been a wrong move. I don't think I can go wrong getting a 3DS.
    It's doubtful. They have so much great stuff already announced, and the potential uses of the 3DS virtual console means people won't really need flash carts anymore, so long as the max they have to pay is like, $10 for GBA games and like, $5-7 for GBC/GB games. I mean, people will still pirate, but a lot of them will download stuff too.
    Post edited by Axel on
  • Layton/Ace Attorney crossover? It's like Christmas!!
  • It's doubtful. They have so much great stuff already announced, and the potential uses of the 3DS virtual console means people won't really need flash carts anymore, so long as the max they have to pay is like, $10 for GBA games and like, $5-7 for GBC/GB games. I mean, people will still pirate, but a lot of them will download stuff too.
    I still think lots of people will want flash cards, because While they may want to buy games on the virtual console, they still will want those $40 or more DS/3DS games for free. That being said, if they put the original pokemon on there with trading/battling over wifi, I would totally buy that even if it was like $10 or more.
  • I still think lots of people will want flash cards, because While they may want to buy games on the virtual console, they still will want those $40 or more DS/3DS games for free. That being said, if they put the original pokemon on there with trading/battling over wifi, I would totally buy that even if it was like $10 or more.
    I don't think people want flashcarts to get expensive games for free. People want flashcarts because it allows them to play games that are kinda meh without having to pay money.

For example, even people with flash carts will still buy Pokemon. They gotta have it, it has to be the real deal, they buy it. But then comes along a game like say, Mega Man ZX. You kinda want to play the game, and see what it's about. But how much are you willing to pay for that? $1 at most maybe? Nobody will sell it for $1. You either don't play it, or you pirate it. You never would have bought it anyway. If you would have bought it, you would have bought it, even if you could have pirated it.
  • At least in Layton you can just keep tapping the screen to get through the dialogue.
    Why are you playing visual novels if you are annoyed by people talking in games?
  • Why are you playing visual novels if you are annoyed by people talking in games?
    I don't get annoyed by playing it, it's just with Phoenix Wright it went by slowly and you couldn't have the option of making the dialogue faster.
  • Oh, I hate that. You mean when you are finished reading, but you can't skip? Or if you have to redo it, they go through the same thing again.
  • You mean when you are finished reading, but you can't skip?
    No it's going to slow and I can't make it go faster. But yes, if you can't skip it as well it's annoying.
  • I still think lots of people will want flash cards, because While they may want to buy games on the virtual console, they still will want those $40 or more DS/3DS games for free. That being said, if they put the original pokemon on there with trading/battling over wifi, I would totally buy that even if it was like $10 or more.
    I don't think people want flashcarts to get expensive games for free. People want flashcarts because it allows them to play games that are kinda meh without having to pay money.

For example, even people with flash carts will still buy Pokemon. They gotta have it, it has to be the real deal, they buy it. But then comes along a game like say, Mega Man ZX. You kinda want to play the game, and see what it's about. But how much are you willing to pay for that? $1 at most maybe? Nobody will sell it for $1. You either don't play it, or you pirate it. You never would have bought it anyway. If you would have bought it, you would have bought it, even if you could have pirated it.
    Oh I agree but there are always those who don't want to pay for games regardless. But either way even the meh games are still usually full price games anyway so the virtual console still won't affect their buying it that much.
  • I'm one confirmation of the 3DS not being region locked away from marching to my local Gamesation at next convenience and preordering that son'bitch.
  • I'm one confirmation of the 3DS not being region locked away from marching to my local Gamesation at next convenience and preordering that son'bitch.
    Just pre-order on Azmazons.
  • edited October 2010
    I'm one confirmation of the 3DS not being region locked away from marching to my local Gamesation at next convenience and preordering that son'bitch.
    Not happening until I know I can get my 3D Etrian Odyssey / Shin Megami Tensei on.

Being a PAL gamer sucks.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
    Not happening until I know I can get my 3D Etrian Odyssey / Shin Megami Tensei on. PAL Gaming should be dead but it ain't.
    You know there is definitely going to be a flash cart situation. It's just going to happen, guaranteed.
    Not happening until I know I can get my 3D Etrian Odyssey / Shin Megami Tensei on. PAL Gaming should be dead but it ain't.
    You know there is definitely going to be a flash cart situation. It's just going to happen, guaranteed.
    Yes, but I'd like to buy the shit I want to buy and not get cocked in the face because Atlus suck at releasing games in Europe.