This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Rent is Too Damn High Party

edited October 2010 in Politics
Why you might want to vote for Jimmy Mcmillan of TheRent is Too Damn High Party

1. He looks like the black Colonel Sanders.

2. He knows karate.

3. He wears black gloves

4. The rent IS too damn high!

5. THIS:

x4o-TeMHys0

Comments

• The rumor is that he used to say "The rent is too damn high, because of the jews." Now he apparently leaves the jews out of it. Also, look for remixes and mashups of this.
  • Saw him on pamphlets when I went to vote last year. I don't like voting as a joke though.
  • The rent is too damn high.
  • Saw him on pamphlets when I went to vote last year. I don't like voting as a joke though.
    Pretty much every vote these days is a joke. :[
  • If he didn't seem totally nuts, I would at least give him a thought for a vote.
  • If he didn't seem totally nuts, I would at least give him a thought for a vote.
    Even if he weren't crazy, he would still be wrong.
    Even if he weren't crazy, he would still be wrong.
    *awaits Rym's wrath*
  • *awaits Rym's wrath*
    Rent Control can be problematic if done incorrectly. Rent Stabilization, which is in place in both mine and Scott's buildings, is different.

Considering there are plenty of apartments available currently, and my rent didn't go up appreciably this year, I have no complaints.
  • What does rent in Vietnam have to do with America?
  • What does rent in Vietnam have to do with America?
    How would it be any different? A bad idea is a bad idea, regardless of where the idea is executed. Did you even read past the first paragraph?
  • Did you even read past the first paragraph?
    I did, and I'm not convinced that rent controls are fundamentally a bad idea. Most of the arguments against it either seem to apply only to particular markets or to particularly poor implementations.

Also, much of the argument falls flat in the face that my personal rent stabilized building is quite nice, as is Scott's. I though nice buildings with good landlords couldn't exist under rent controls. ;^)
  • edited October 2010
    This guy is who I imagine Dolemite would turn into, if he got into state politics in his later years.
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • This guy is who I imagine Dolemite would turn into, if he got into state politics in his later years.
    Ha, a very similar thought crossed my mind.
  • I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the Rent is Too Damn High Party wants quite a bit more than stabilization; he wants drastic decreases in rent through whatever means possible, and that's what I was referring to.
  • I'm pretty sure we can all agree that the Rent is Too Damn High Party wants quite a bit more than stabilization; he wants drastic decreases in rent through whatever means possible, and that's what I was referring to.
    Oh, dude's a nutter. No argument there.

I should form the "It's Straight-up Dawg Time" party. Our policy is to shoot/slice you.
  • I should form the "It's Straight-up Dawg Time" party. Our policy is to shoot/slice you.
    Maybe you should finish forming the first political party you started before beginning on a new one ^_~
  • I should form the "It's Straight-up Dawg Time" party. Our policy is to shoot/slice you.
    Maybe you should finish forming the first political party you started before beginning on a new one ^_~
  • Maybe you should finish forming the first political party you started before beginning on a new one ^_~
    Site's up, just not public. I don't have a logo, and I completely trashed the platform and re-wrote it about two weeks ago. It's a work in progress.
  • edited October 2010
    Site's up, just not public. I don't have a logo, and I completely trashed the platform and re-wrote it about two weeks ago. It's a work in progress.
    Sort of like that e-commerce, eh?

I've just formed the "You're Already Dead" party. We solve our problems through the ancient killing arts. Government Spending? OMAE WA MO SHINDEIRU.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Maybe you should finish forming the first political party you started before beginning on a new one ^_~
  • Sort of like that e-commerce, eh?
    Store is up and working (not public), but I may not have the legal authority to sell to anyone in New York State. I'm working on correcting that, but it is difficult to get straight answers from the various departments with which I've been dealing.

There's also the matter that we only have two pieces of merch. A third and fourth are forthcoming, but design takes longer than production.
  • I wonder why McMillan didn't start the "Let's Plow the Mountains" party. I would definitely vote for him, no questions asked.
  • I wonder why McMillan didn't start the "Let's Plow the Mountains" party. I would definitely vote for him, no questions asked.
    Because in my party, we PUNCH THE MOUNTAINS DOWN. Need some fucking coal? Omae wa mo shindeiru.

"You're Already Dead Party" 2011 -- Killing Arts for a Brighter Future.
    Because in my party, we PUNCH THE MOUNTAINS DOWN. Need some fucking coal? Omae wa mo shindeiru.

"You're Already Dead Party" 2011 -- Killing Arts for a Brighter Future.
    I will join now.
  • There are now reports that Jimmy McMillan's rent actually isn't that damn high...
  • edited October 2010
    Well he's fighting for our children's rent, and the rent of the people.

Also, if he didn't get that agreement with his old landlord, his rent would have been too damn high. He was lucky that she took pity on him.
    Post edited by VichusSmith on
  • edited October 2010
    Oh my god. He has his own rap. Also:
    Post edited by YoshoKatana on
  • edited October 2010
    There's also the matter that we only have two pieces of merch. A third and fourth are forthcoming, but design takes longer than production.
    Make a shirt that says, "I have save games older than you" in some gamer/old school font (commodore 64 font for example) and a picture of neito or something. Maybe put "My first save for the original Legend of Zelda originated sometime circa 1991" on the back. I tried, but because of the shitty shop site I was using, failed.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Well he's fighting for our children's rent, and the rent of the people.

Also, if he didn't get that agreement with his old landlord, his rent would have been too damn high. He was lucky that she took pity on him.
    You're absolutely right. Just because McMillan got a deal doesn't mean the people got the deal too, and he sees it as his sole responsibility to bring us to rent epiphany on the rent mountain top. However, It is a grand way of life without high rent, and I'm not sure the public will ever understand that.

My rent is just decent, and for that, maintenance-wise, I get decent service to my building because I have a decent landlord. If I paid less rent, how would my building get taken care of? Besides, isn't a huge amount of the economy underpinned by real-estate? Half of the news on why it's failing has to do with mortgage backed securities of which a decent amount are basically shreddable at this point because of fudged records. No no, the people just don't understand - myself included.

Either way, I still pity the owner that charges too much rent under what could be dear Jimmy McMillan's kind tyranny.
  • Is your rent too high? Landlords of my constituents: OMAE WA MO SHINDEIRU.

You're Already Dead Party: Why settle for a governor when you can have a Century's End Savior?