This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Periods of Art

edited September 2010 in Art!
When it comes to periods of art I have to admit mostly liking modern, contemporary/post modern and rococo. Not that the other periods are lost on me but modern and contemporary has the movements I love to study the most. Which ones are you interested in?

I started looking at art nouveau again after a while. I got an artbook about Alphonse Mucha not too long ago which brought it back for me. I loved how it influenced architecture as well. For me it's the organic thick lines and decorated backgrounds that attracted me to it.

I picked up a book on Futurism to understand it better. I still don't have a strong opinion on it. It was one of the influences of another favorite style of mine, art deco. My building was built during that time and the lobby is still in that style. It one of those gaudy times that it everything from graphic design to cars, but of course after times like that they get followed by a mass "toning down" of everything.

I just learned about Piet Mondrian just about a week or two ago which brought me De Stiji. (or neoplasticism?) I thought that famous abstract lines and primary colors paintings were a 1960's thing, but it was a mistake. I thought that because of Yves st. Laurent making dresses with that pattern that got really recognized.

There's tons more I say, but then this would be boarding on super blog post!

Comments

• Art Deco!
  • I was researching grottos because I wanted to make a grotto micro-dungeon. I found out that grotesque actually refers to the style of art found in grottos!
  • edited October 2010
    So I learned not too long ago about De Stijl, a dutch art movement. You know that famous Yves St Laurant dress? That mod style? Based on Piet Mondrian's work from that time. I'm reading a book on de Stijl (The Style) now. It's awesome!

Also, while aparment hunting I found a ton of art deco style architechure in DC. I must phograph all of it! I can't get enough of that stuff!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Even though I know it's not, I would have said Bauhaus first.
  • Even though I know it's not, I would have said Bauhaus first.
    I would have said uncomfortable first.
  • I've always thought Art Nouveau was pretty hot.
  • Art Deco!
    I do like brushed stainless steel.
  • I've always thought Art Nouveau was pretty hot.
    Oh mans! I got a Mucha book for free that introduced me to it. I see lots of fanart based on that movement too. It's a really loved style!
  • Went to a Mucha exhibition:
    What I love about it is the way it is a harbinger of the Lingne Claire style pioneered by Hergé in Tintin, and more generally the birth of comics.
  • I am dissapoint that this thread is not labeled "It's the arts."
  • Went to a Mucha exhibition:
    That's cool. I, uh...I bought a Mucha book the other day. That's just as cool, right?
    What I love about it is the way it is a harbinger of the Lingne Claire style pioneered by Hergé in Tintin, and more generally the birth of comics.
    There's definitely a strong connection between what guys like Mucha did, and comics. There are a lot of modern comics artists (Adam Hughes, for instance) who cite him as a big influence.
  • What I love about it is the way it is a harbinger of the Lingne Claire style pioneered by Hergé in Tintin, and more generally the birth of comics.
    There's definitely a strong connection between what guys like Mucha did, and comics. There are a lot of modern comics artists (Adam Hughes, for instance) who cite him as a big influence.
    Hughes is very nifty. I like Weirengo, Dini, Cooke, and Sale as well. In the early to mid 80s, I couldn't get enough of Byrne, Simonson, and Chaykin. I still like Chaykin a lot, but it all of his characters start to look alike after awhile.
    I've always thought Art Nouveau was pretty hot.
    Art Nouveau is very good. Rococo is nice too. There should be more of this sort of thing. No more buildings that look like shoeboxes, please.

I often think it would have been very easy to be an architect in the 60s and 70s. "You want a new building?" *takes out shoebox, places it on table* "Here's a working model right here."
  • edited October 2010
    I've always thought Art Nouveau was pretty hot.
    The funny thing is that back then, Mucha and his contemporaries in Art Nouveau were considered illustrators more than they were fine artists, relegated to the "art for the masses" category. In that way, they were very similar to the comic artists and professional illustrators of today.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited October 2010
    The funny thing is that back then, Mucha and his contemporaries in Art Nouveau were considered illustrators more than they were fine artists, relegated to the "art for the masses" category.
    All the best artists of that time were. The "serious" art world was already onto all the modern art stuff.
    Hughes is very nifty. I like Weirengo, Dini, Cooke, and Sale as well. In the early to mid 80s, I couldn't get enough of Byrne, Simonson, and Chaykin
    Weiringo, Sale and Cooke are great. Dini? The only comics person I can find is Paul Dini, who's a writer. You're not thinking of Bruce Timm, are you? As for the older guys, I always thought Walt Simonson was great. Never looked at much Chaykin, and I never really got what the big deal about John Byrne was. Maybe you had to be there.
    Post edited by Funfetus on
  • Lingne Claire style pioneered by Hergé in Tintin
    Ligne Claire is definitely my favorite style of comic art.
  • @Windupbird -- who are good Ligne Claire artists besides Hergé?
  • @Windupbird -- who are good Ligne Claire artists besides Hergé?
    I'm actually at a loss, there. Most of the stuff is Fraco-Belgian work that I've never seen. Jason is considered Ligne Claire, though, and his stuff is damn good. Also, it looks like that new Charles Burns book is going to be somewhat inspired by the style, although it's not true Ligne Claire.
  • @Windupbird --- Awwww, I thought you were gonna be a treasure trove. :) I've seen a few -- I've got tons of downloaded BD, but I don't really have the time to go digging through them right now, and I don't remember any names.

Charles Burns doing a ligne claire style? That'd be abandoning the one thing he's actually good at. :)
  • Awwww, I thought you were gonna be a treasure trove. :)
    I know a lot, but not as much as I should.
    Charles Burns doing a ligne claire style? That'd be abandoning the one thing he's actually good at. :)
    Hah. Yeah, the cover of X'ed Out is one giant shout out to Tintin, but all the inking is still to nuanced to be ligne claire.
  • @Windupbird --- Awwww, I thought you were gonna be a treasure trove. :) I've seen a few -- I've got tons of downloaded BD, but I don't really have the time to go digging through them right now, and I don't remember any names.

You might like Adèle Blanc-Sec
  • You might like Adèle Blanc-Sec
    Oh, Jacques Tardi! I've heard that name a lot, but never actually seen any of his stuff. I'll check it out -- thanks!
  • edited October 2010
    You might like Adèle Blanc-Sec
    Oh, Jacques Tardi! I've heard that name a lot, but never actually seen any of his stuff. I'll check it out -- thanks!
    Fantagraphics is putting his stuff out in English in beautiful bindings; there's one about WWI called "War In The Trenches" I might order from Amazon tonight.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on